none
Run a .rar/.zip file from the resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone! I have been searching through the entire internet on how to make an app that is RUNNING (not extracting) an .rar/.zip file from the resources of the project. Of course this wont work:

//Setup is the name of the rar

Process.Start(My.resources.Setup)

Are there any ideas?

Sunday, December 3, 2017 3:34 PM

All replies

• Unless you are working with a self-extracting file, .rar/.zip files are not executable.

Are you really asking how to invoke the associated executable program to operate on the compressed file?

Sunday, December 3, 2017 3:50 PM
  • Hello everyone! I have been searching through the entire internet on how to make an app that is RUNNING (not extracting) an .rar/.zip file from the resources of the project. Of course this wont work:

//Setup is the name of the rar

Process.Start(My.resources.Setup)

Are there any ideas?

Extract it to a file then you can use Process.Start like you normally would.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

• Proposed as answer by IronRazerz Monday, December 4, 2017 1:54 AM
    Sunday, December 3, 2017 4:04 PM
  • Hi StartedCoder,

According to your description, you want to run rar or zip file directly from resources. I don't find this method to do this, I think if you want to run exe file in zip or rar file directly, you may need to decompression zip or rar file in a temporary folder, then you can use it.

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 4, 2017 6:22 AM