none
Customized Outlook Addin not working on Office Home & Business 2013. Exception reading manifest. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I created Outllook addin using visual studio 2013 which I am able to install on Office Professional Plus 2013, Microsoft  Office 365 Business on development/non-development environment but unfortunately, I am not able to install it on customer's laptop where "Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013" is installed.
    I am getting error "Exception reading manifest from "file: ///......OutlookAddin.vsto" the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened."
    I checked some forum for answers and installed "Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime" and also tried to uninstall and reinstall dot net framework 4.5 but still did not work.
    Please advise if anybody has solution for this. I will really appreciate your help.

Thank you.
    Harish Kumar

• Edited by Harish.Kumar Wednesday, December 28, 2016 3:38 AM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 3:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you share the detail information about the exception with us?

You could see the similar cases about two kinds of detail exception.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1054364/the-manifest-may-not-be-valid-or-the-file-could-not-be-opened

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10901035/vs2012-net-4-0-clickonce-vsto-cryptographicexception-signaturedescription-coul

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 10:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for reply.

I created outlook addin in visual studio 2013. Once I build the solution, following files are generated.

Microsoft.Office.Tools.Common.v4.0.Utilities.dll
    Microsoft.Office.Tools.Common.v4.0.Utilities.xml
    Microsoft.Office.Tools.Outlook.v4.0.Utilities.dll
    Microsoft.Office.Tools.Outlook.v4.0.Utilities.xml
    Outlook2013_InecomAddin.dll
    Outlook2013_InecomAddin.dll.config
    Outlook2013_InecomAddin.dll.manifest
    Outlook2013_InecomAddin.pdb
    Outlook2013_InecomAddin.vsto
    Outlook2013_InecomAddin.xml

I install the addin by double clicking on "Outlook2013_InecomAddin.vsto". I am able to install the addin on around 4 to 5 laptops locally including my development environment but when I try to install the same addin on customer laptop I am getting the below error:

"Name: Outlook2013_InecomAddin

From: file://C:/Users/Admin/Desktop/Katrina/OUtlook2013_InecomAddinV91.01.2009/Outlook2013_InecomAddin.vsto

Exception occurred loading manifest from file Outlook2013_InecomAddin.dll: the manifest may not be valid or the file could not be opened."

In client pc I checked all prerequisites are installed which are mentioned below:

a. Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 - en-us version 15.0.4885.1001
    b. Microsoft Visual Studo 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64) version: 10.0.60825
    c. Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5.2
    d. Visual Studio 2005 Tools for Office Second Edition Runtime
    e. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistribition - 10.0.40219
    f. Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistribution
    g. Microsoft Office Access Runtime (English) 2007
    h. Microsoft Office Access database engine 2007 (English)
    i.  Microsoft Visual C++ (x86 en-US)
    j.  Java Update 55
    k. Java Update 21 (64-bit)

I have also turn off the firewall.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong?

Please advise how to resolve this issue.

Unfortunately I could not upload the images as it says my account is not verified yet. I have requested in forum so meanwhile I can only right text.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,

Harish Kumar

Thursday, December 29, 2016 3:05 AM
  • Hi,

How do you deploy the add-in? ClickOnce or others? Where do you publish if you use ClickOnce?

Sorry that we don’t have the Office Home & Business 2013 to test.

I would suggest you try to run the .vsto as administrator to check if this causes Permission.

Try to deploy it manually according to Walkthrough: Manually Deploying a ClickOnce Application that Does Not Require Re-Signing and that Preserves Branding Information

According to your description, the installation failed with Office Home & Business 2013.

To check if it is related to the Office package, I suggest you test more machines and check if all the PCs with Office Home & Business 2013 would fail to install.

If possible, I suggest you create a project with the Office Home & Business 2013.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 29, 2016 9:50 AM