How to configure IIS for ASP .Net site RRS feed

• Question

• User-284642143 posted

I have a site developed in VS 2008. Were using Windows Server 2003. Ive installed IIS which is used for multiple purposes. I now need to host a site without effecting the other sites.

1. Reading around i believe i need to setup a separate static IP address, the server already has a static IP address. I guess i can do this via DHCP, but what if i already have another site using port 80?

2. How do i configure DNS so it resolves to my site name? If i create a site called www.intranet.com, how would i configure DNS to resolve it to this name after i have IIS setup with my site?

I would appreciate some step by step instructions please, or a link to a site with an example of how to do this. Thanks for any help in advance.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:02 PM

Answers

• User-823196590 posted

1.  Why do you need another IP?  You can host multiple sites on the same IP and port 80 using the host header feature.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324287

2. There should already be an entry for intranet.com - you then just need a cname record for www that pointw either to intranet.com or the IP.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:02 PM

All replies

• User-823196590 posted

1.  Why do you need another IP?  You can host multiple sites on the same IP and port 80 using the host header feature.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324287

2. There should already be an entry for intranet.com - you then just need a cname record for www that pointw either to intranet.com or the IP.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:02 PM
  • User-284642143 posted

Thank you. With regards to question 2, i cant still figure out what im doing wrong. I go onto our DNS server i see a few entries i.e. domain.local.

So do i now need to create an entry called intranet.com inline with domain.local?

Monday, May 11, 2009 5:43 AM
  • User-823196590 posted

I thought you used "intranet.com" as an example - don't actually use that as it's a real registered domain.

Have your network/dns manager assist you with entering a proper cname record for your web server.

Monday, May 11, 2009 10:08 AM
  • User-284642143 posted

Yes intranet.com is an example, but i didnt want to confuse this example.

I prefer to know this myself as i would like to see the process involved. Could you redirect me to an article to help with this or another newsgroup? Asking others means i never get to see what happens so would like to experience this myself.

Thanks

Monday, May 11, 2009 10:39 AM
  • User-823196590 posted

As I am not a network admin I am not intimately familiar with the process myself.  I am sure Google would find the right reference or examples of the process for your specific DNS server or your network admin might even be kind enough to show/explain himself.

Monday, May 11, 2009 3:08 PM