none
Which applications do I need? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I want to learn SQL Server and some VB so I've decided I am going to attempt to create a simple employee directory.  I realize I can achieve this locally on my machine but I want to see what can be a done over a network.  With that said, if I wanted a VB application to query and use a remote database, which versions of Visual Studio and/or SQL Server do I need to use (please include Express editions if applicable)?  I want several users to be able to interact with the database at once, and I don't want them all having unique local copies of the database on their respective computers.  I would also like as little local installations required as possible (I don't want to have to install SQL Express on every single computer at our location, just to support a simple database application.) 

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 7:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

It's possible to use Sql Server 2005 Express Edition through a network.

At home, i've an application which is deployed on 3 PC ( 1 XP Pro with the Sql Server and 2 XP Home ) and no problem.

Even when on the 3 pc , there are update,delete,insert , no problem of performance or locking.

It's perfectly possible to develop with VB or VC# Express Edition, but i give you an advice :for all the treatement of data with your application and the database : code everything by yourself, don't use strongly datasets automatically built by BV/VC# 2005.

If you code everything, you will learn quicklier and you will remember what you must not do.

With the Express Edition of VB , you may install a new prog throuhgh Click once installation very easily.

About Sql Server 2005 Express : it's exactly a standard edition except :

- no database with more than 4 Go for the data

- no replication ( as server only as client )

- one physical processor ( multi-core or hyperthreading accepted )

- simplified backup/restore but perfectly usable

For the Express Editions of VB/VC# :

- no remote access to SQL Server in design but in coding , that'OK

- reduced template projects ( no service programing for example )

Avoid user instances for Sql Server , you would have problems as remote connections are forbidden

I hope you will have fun when developping with VB and Sql Server in Express Edition

A small advice, if you want to use Sql server on a network : no problem except if it's workgroup network and not a domain network ( with a Windows Server 2003/2008). For a workgroup network, put always your Sql Server on a XP/Vista Pro not Home ( no Windows authentification possible )

If you want some help or advice, you will find always somebody ready to help you

Have a nice day

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:26 PM
  • (I want to learn SQL Server and some VB so I've decided I am going to attempt to create a simple employee directory.  I realize I can achieve this locally on my machine but I want to see what can be a done over a network.)

New developers don't write HR application because of the complex nature of the subject.

( With that said, if I wanted a VB application to query and use a remote database, which versions of Visual Studio and/or SQL Server do I need to use (please include Express editions if applicable)? )

VS2005/8 Standard and above is needed or you write a web application which you can host in house with IIS running in your local network.  But you can develop and later make the needed changes to add your users and convert to server instance

(I want several users to be able to interact with the database at once, and I don't want them all having unique local copies of the database on their respective computers. )

The other option is you can use VS2005/8 Standard with SQL authentication in SQL Server Express just add users as needed.

(I would also like as little local installations required as possible (I don't want to have to install SQL Express on every single computer at our location, just to support a simple database application.)

If everybody is in your network just add them to SQL Server using mixed mode authentication.  The only reason you may need VS2005/8 standard is because you don't know data because you can use the free version when you finish developing you convert the User Instance to Server Instance and make relevant configuration changes to add your users to the application outside VS2005/8.  This will get you started. 

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:47 PM

All replies

• Hello,

It's possible to use Sql Server 2005 Express Edition through a network.

At home, i've an application which is deployed on 3 PC ( 1 XP Pro with the Sql Server and 2 XP Home ) and no problem.

Even when on the 3 pc , there are update,delete,insert , no problem of performance or locking.

It's perfectly possible to develop with VB or VC# Express Edition, but i give you an advice :for all the treatement of data with your application and the database : code everything by yourself, don't use strongly datasets automatically built by BV/VC# 2005.

If you code everything, you will learn quicklier and you will remember what you must not do.

With the Express Edition of VB , you may install a new prog throuhgh Click once installation very easily.

About Sql Server 2005 Express : it's exactly a standard edition except :

- no database with more than 4 Go for the data

- no replication ( as server only as client )

- one physical processor ( multi-core or hyperthreading accepted )

- simplified backup/restore but perfectly usable

For the Express Editions of VB/VC# :

- no remote access to SQL Server in design but in coding , that'OK

- reduced template projects ( no service programing for example )

Avoid user instances for Sql Server , you would have problems as remote connections are forbidden

I hope you will have fun when developping with VB and Sql Server in Express Edition

A small advice, if you want to use Sql server on a network : no problem except if it's workgroup network and not a domain network ( with a Windows Server 2003/2008). For a workgroup network, put always your Sql Server on a XP/Vista Pro not Home ( no Windows authentification possible )

If you want some help or advice, you will find always somebody ready to help you

Have a nice day

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:26 PM
  • (I want to learn SQL Server and some VB so I've decided I am going to attempt to create a simple employee directory.  I realize I can achieve this locally on my machine but I want to see what can be a done over a network.)

New developers don't write HR application because of the complex nature of the subject.

( With that said, if I wanted a VB application to query and use a remote database, which versions of Visual Studio and/or SQL Server do I need to use (please include Express editions if applicable)? )

VS2005/8 Standard and above is needed or you write a web application which you can host in house with IIS running in your local network.  But you can develop and later make the needed changes to add your users and convert to server instance

(I want several users to be able to interact with the database at once, and I don't want them all having unique local copies of the database on their respective computers. )

The other option is you can use VS2005/8 Standard with SQL authentication in SQL Server Express just add users as needed.

(I would also like as little local installations required as possible (I don't want to have to install SQL Express on every single computer at our location, just to support a simple database application.)

If everybody is in your network just add them to SQL Server using mixed mode authentication.  The only reason you may need VS2005/8 standard is because you don't know data because you can use the free version when you finish developing you convert the User Instance to Server Instance and make relevant configuration changes to add your users to the application outside VS2005/8.  This will get you started. 

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:47 PM