none
VS won't launch

Question

• I've been try to use Visual Studio Community, as I understand that version is free. But it is always saying the trial has expired, having been trouble shooting over multiple weeks, including downloading whatever other versions I can, I've only had a brief day where it did work, and now it's back to saying the trial has expired again.

Am I mistaken, and there is no free version I can use? If that is the case, is there a student version I can use with my University email, and how do I get it?

Monday, January 23, 2017 12:41 AM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Community edition is free, no worry about that. What you need do is just to sign in by your email to activate it.

Please refer to the following snapshot.

Please give it a try, and feel free to let me know the result of it.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 23, 2017 1:36 AM
  • I try to insert an image, but this website says "cannot upload images or hyperlinks until account is verified"

The thing is I am logged in. When I open VS it brings a pop up box which shows the account I'm logged into, and says

An error has occurred and we can no longer retrieve user information for 'HoldLuk@gmail.com', Please reenter your credentials for this account.

and

License: 30 day trial (for evaluation purposes only)
    Your evaluation period has ended
    Your trial has expired. Please make sure the Internet is connected, then check for an updated license to continue without interruption.

with a button that says "check for updated license" when I click it and log in, it says
    "We could not download a license. Please check your network connection or proxy settings"

Monday, January 23, 2017 12:14 PM
  • Hi friend,

Usually, we'll sign in with Microsoft account, like hotmail or outlook.

>> "We could not download a license. Please check your network connection or proxy settings"

Please try to sign with IE, refer to this thread's answer.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/5b4ae664-1535-48c5-8f49-d7d1e0a7b374/visual-studio-2015-community-license-expired?forum=vssetup

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 23, 2017 1:28 PM
  • Hi friend,

Has your issue been resolved yet? Please feel free to let me know if you need any other help.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:29 AM