Can you create a SQL Server DB and get TFS 2010 to "see" it? RRS feed

• Question

• My question is that I need to move data from another server (Oracle) to a SQL Server DB. I assume if TFS 2010 is using SQL Server 2008 I can just create a new DB on that server, create the structure, then move the data over nightly. Then I would like to "expose" this db to TFS 2010. The data would be updated nightly via a .NET service.

The requirement is to have this data useable in TFS 2010.

Thank you.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 4:08 PM

Answers

• Hello chrislynn,

I am sorry maybe I do not express my opinion clearly: actually, database project only contains database schema, such as tables, views and stored procedures and etc. However it does not contain any data, for example, it does not contain the data in one specific table.

So I am sorry that if you want to do version control of your database data, I am sorry I can’t figure you one way. However, if you want to do version control of your database schema, you can follow my second option listed above.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 5:21 AM

All replies

• Hello chrislynn,

I am trying to better understand your issue. And I think your issue can be considered on two sides:

1). Maybe you would like to import data from Oracle database to TFS databases. Yes, you are correct that TFS uses SQL server as its Data-Tier. However, it is not recommended for you to modify the data of the TFS databases directly, it may cause some fatal errors. So I do not think it is possible or should for you to import data from Oracle server to TFS database directly.

2). Maybe you want to put SQL server databases into TFS version control, and use TFS to share these databases to other team members or to manage the versions. If so, you should first move data schema from Oracle server to SQL server database first. And create database project for that database. Then you put that database project into TFS version control. With that approach you can keep different versions of that database in the TFS, and you can also use TFS to build and deploy the database project for you.

For more information about how to create database project, please see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa833235.aspx

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Thank you for the reply. If I choose #2, will it be an issue to have the database data updated via a service on the box (bringing in the Oracle data nightly)?
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Hello chrislynn,

I am sorry maybe I do not express my opinion clearly: actually, database project only contains database schema, such as tables, views and stored procedures and etc. However it does not contain any data, for example, it does not contain the data in one specific table.

So I am sorry that if you want to do version control of your database data, I am sorry I can’t figure you one way. However, if you want to do version control of your database schema, you can follow my second option listed above.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 5:21 AM