VisualStudio and Blend SHADOWCACHE is filling up fast

Question

• In VS2012 and Blend , whilst i'm building Metro style apps (C#/XAML), the ShadowCache folder for VS and Blend is filling up excessively fast... in 1 hour both totaled over 10GB ?!

This only started happening today for some reason!

C:\Users\jose\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\Designer\ShadowCache

C:\Users\jose\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\Blend\ShadowCache

Make the web a beautiful place

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Jose,

We have made some improvements for the RTM release where we are not copying files into the shadowcache that are not required by the designer process. This should alleviate your problem quite a bit. It will be great if you can mail me at harikm at microsoft.com , if possible with the solution or else a description of the kind of file types in your project.

Dev@Mic

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:12 PM

All replies

• I should add that my project is quite big in the first place, and it seems that every time I F5 it keeps a copy of the build result in the ShadowCache..

Is there a way to turn this off? As this is greatly impacting my development productivity ... I only have 16GB free on my build tablet and it fills up quickly thx to this bug!

Make the web a beautiful place

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:14 AM
  • The files in the shodowcache folder are required so that your app can be displayed on the design surface. Unfortunately there is no way to change this, as it is a consequence of the "sandbox" security model.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Hi Jose,

We have made some improvements for the RTM release where we are not copying files into the shadowcache that are not required by the designer process. This should alleviate your problem quite a bit. It will be great if you can mail me at harikm at microsoft.com , if possible with the solution or else a description of the kind of file types in your project.

Dev@Mic

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Hi Jose,

I am having exactly the same problem with image files cached in the res subfolder.

Every time I build my Windows 8 App I get another 100Mbyte copy which is eating up my SSD!

Can I safely delete earlier builds? I need a quick fix for this without uninstalling VS.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Nick

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Yes, you can.

However, if you are suggesting that you are consistently hitting this issue, we are interested in knowing more about your repro since we would like to fix it for good. Could you please get in touch offline at unnir at Microsoft dot com?

Thanks,

Unni

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Microsoft Expression This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:40 AM
  • 35 GB in a few hours is a real problem. howto avoid this behaviour? especially when you use "always show in full xaml view"

Edit(solved for me):

For thoose searching for a solution:

Open With -> XML Editor

Just a normal XML Editor without shadowcaching anything but also without IntelliSense. If you still want to have IntelliSense, use ReSharper, it brings its own(better than the one from studio).

Regargds

Ralph

• Edited by Ralph Bariz Monday, October 28, 2013 2:18 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 1:45 PM
  • Hi Harikrishna,

We are seeing this issue still while using the 2013 RTM for users that edit XAML. Is there a fix for VS 2013?

Regards,

Akshay

Monday, November 04, 2013 2:17 PM