none
SBS 2011 server essentials and SQL 2014

Question

• I have a SBS 2011 essentials Server and need to load SQL 2014 for a program on the server. Do I need to upgrade to a new server OS to make it work correctly or will the optional preimum add on software for 2011 let me load the sql without any problems. Was told that some writers and other parts might not work.
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 2:25 AM

All replies

• Hello,

It depends on the requirements you have on SQL Server. If they are less and limitations like max. 10 GB database size, only less user etc are OK, then you can install the free Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express and upgrade later to a full version.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, April 6, 2017 3:41 AM
  • Hi tom.gordon55,

>>I have a SBS 2011 essentials Server and need to load SQL 2014 for a program on the server.

It should be fine, since SBS 2011 is based on Windows Server 2008R2 standard. You would need to apply service pack 1 for Windows Server 2008 R2 before install SQL Server 2014.

>>Do I need to upgrade to a new server OS to make it work correctly or will the optional premium add on software for 2011 let me load the sql without any problems.

The premium add on includes SQL Server 2008 R2 for SBS, which is a variant of SQL Server 2008 R2 standard. It’s not possible for us to say whether it works with your software or not. I would suggest you consult with your software vendor first.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 7:00 AM