none
Apps free for home users, but charge for businesses? RRS feed

• Question

• I have developed an app for office, and I would like to make this app free for home users but have it cost money for corporate and business users. I have contacted support and they say that there is no way to do that through the office store as they have no way to tell if someone is a home user or a business user. Is there another way? Perhaps if I list it twice once free and once not but with different end user license agreements? Or will that just get abused?

Sunday, November 29, 2015 10:01 AM

All replies

• I doubt there will be a difference between listing twice or not.

The only ones that can prevent installation in an office environment are IT departments. They can have a policy in place that does not allow users (and prevents users from) installing software. If those policies are in place, the IT department will also be decent enough not to install till the user has proven that it was actually purchased.

It's a user mentality; difficult to change. Even in companies that will loose significant money if their product gets hacked/cracked/pirated/whatever; users, specifically at lower levels, consider it normal to use products illegally, even if you tell them that they might loose their job if it would be 'their' product that gets used illegally. A brain-dead smile is usually what you get from them.

Sunday, November 29, 2015 11:19 AM