Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions and Visual Studio 2008 Professional? RRS feed

• Question

• I have had Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition and Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition on my desktop (XP) and on my laptop (Vista). My question is am I able to install Visual Studio 2008 Professional and keep the express editions on there or do I need to remove the express editions?

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 11:05 PM

Answers

• I have had Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition and Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition on my desktop (XP) and on my laptop (Vista). My question is am I able to install Visual Studio 2008 Professional and keep the express editions on there or do I need to remove the express editions?

Its not the question of removing. Installing professional version avoids redundancy and more features after which you will feel good. I suggest that you install professional version it may remove express version if it is not compatible and it will let it remain if there is no problem. But it will ask your wish whether you want it to be removed or not before uninstalling express edition. So there is no problem installing both but i still suggest to install only professional version for stability and performance. There may rise any conflicts at any time due to your programming needs. Problems could also arise when u make up updates with service packs and these service packs might get confused to which all editions has to be updated. So make up a choice. 
    If this post has resolved your problem/issue please mark our post as answered. We would like to help users more if they appreciate our efforts by my marking our posts as answered. This is an auto generated signature.
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Kashif Khan Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by G3N3RAL PALLAS Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:51 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:55 AM
  • The reason I asked is I'm worried that if I uninstall Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition that all my program will be lost and that I will have to recreate them. I do not want to lose my programs and the reason I needed to get Visual Studio in the first place is because I needed to publish my program by creating a setup package.
    It will not remove your code there is nothing to worry it was just about the stability problem that could arise in future. There is no way that could remove your code. However they will run side-by-side don worry. Go ahead install it.
    If this post has resolved your problem/issue please mark our post as answered. We would like to help users more if they appreciate our efforts by my marking our posts as answered. This is an auto generated signature.
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Kashif Khan Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:06 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Hello,

As I know, they could work side by side, so you do not need to uninstall any of them. In addition, removing the editions of visual studio will not remove the programmes developed with them.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:39 AM

All replies

Its not the question of removing. Installing professional version avoids redundancy and more features after which you will feel good. I suggest that you install professional version it may remove express version if it is not compatible and it will let it remain if there is no problem. But it will ask your wish whether you want it to be removed or not before uninstalling express edition. So there is no problem installing both but i still suggest to install only professional version for stability and performance. There may rise any conflicts at any time due to your programming needs. Problems could also arise when u make up updates with service packs and these service packs might get confused to which all editions has to be updated. So make up a choice. 
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Kashif Khan Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:55 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:55 AM
  • The reason I asked is I'm worried that if I uninstall Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition that all my program will be lost and that I will have to recreate them. I do not want to lose my programs and the reason I needed to get Visual Studio in the first place is because I needed to publish my program by creating a setup package.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:01 AM
    It will not remove your code there is nothing to worry it was just about the stability problem that could arise in future. There is no way that could remove your code. However they will run side-by-side don worry. Go ahead install it.
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Kashif Khan Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:06 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Hello,

As I know, they could work side by side, so you do not need to uninstall any of them. In addition, removing the editions of visual studio will not remove the programmes developed with them.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 7:39 AM