none
Simulating an Air Brush RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way for ED to simulate an Air Brush? I'm trying to add some highlights to a 2D object and the brush options really don't seem to support what I need. I can use the Bitmap Airbrush and apply that to a line, but it tends to taper to the ends, where I'd really like a constant thickness.

Any help?

Jim 
    Friday, October 24, 2008 8:09 PM

All replies

•  You can make a stroke yourself and use a gradient
    draw a small rectangle fill it with a gradient and safe it as a stroke

• Proposed as answer by germaine1 Saturday, October 25, 2008 10:34 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Annie FordModerator Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:30 PM
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 10:33 AM
  • RVBuilder,

I'd suggest creating your own stroke. Try this:

1. Draw a line and apply one of the bitmap airbrush strokes. Give the stroke a large width (about 50 pixels) so you have a nice large area to work with.

2. Using the Slice tool, draw a rectangle around a part of the stroke that you want to capture as a bitmap.

3. Export the slice and then Import the bitmap back into Design.

4, Select the bitmap and choose Object > Stroke > Define Image Stroke. When the Define Image Stroke definition box displays, change the Body Section value to Simple Repeat. Name the stroke and save it.

When you use your new stroke you'll have a continuous width stroke. Hopefully this is what you want.
    Annie
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:37 PM
  • Annie I tried your method in design 1
    draw a line - used a bitmap airbrush
    I had the best result when I draw a rectangle with no fill no stroke to the part I wanted to use
    went to object -stroke-new stroke definition and  only the part in the rectangle was used
    when I changed to bitmap the outcome was not that good in design 1
    greetings

Annie I make a correction your method is good the difference is I used not repeat for my method
    • Edited by germaine1 Monday, October 27, 2008 8:31 PM correction
    Monday, October 27, 2008 8:01 PM

• Monday, October 27, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Germaine,

Using a no-repeat would probably net the same results on a closed path that a repeat stroke would.
    Annie
    Monday, October 27, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give it a try.

Dumb question, but why wouldn't this capability exist in the native applicaiton feature set? Even MS Paint has this feature.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 4:03 PM
  • Because Paint is a bitmap editor and Design is a vector editor.
    Annie
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 7:58 PM