Cannot connect to bluetooth gps RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Nokia LD-3W bluetooth GPS receiver that i cannot connect to Device Emulator on a notebook with a dell wireless 355 bluetooth 2.0+EDR (widcomm-broadcom), it fails with the error: 'Unable to open serial port 'COM12'. LastError=The system cannot find the file specified.'.

I connected sucessfuly the GPS to Microsoft Autoroute 2007 and to Hyperterminal on the serial port (COM12) for the GPS receiver.

I could connect to Device Emulator on a PC with a Microsoft bluetooth 2.0 dongle, serial port COM4.

I have installed Microsoft Device Emulator 2.0 Preview, Virtual Machine Network Services Driver and Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 MSFP Emulator Images.

I would appreciate any help, thanks.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 5:59 PM

Answers

• I found a sollution but it is not verry ellegant.
    I use GPSgate and send gps output to tcpip, connect the emulator through ActiveSync.
    I have installed GPSGate for PPC on the device and collect the data from tcpip and output to a com port on the emulator.
    It works but with some crashes.
    Thanks for the replies.
    If you can find a better way please reply.
    I wish i could connect the emulator to GPSgate without ActiveSync.

Monday, February 12, 2007 2:13 PM

All replies

• This error means you don't have a COM12 port on your desktop or for some other reason system is not able to resolve this name for COM port. Can you please verify the device manager (Right click my computer, Hardware->Device Manager) and see under ports if it is listed there.

-Thanks,

Mohit

Monday, February 5, 2007 3:01 PM
  • I'm quite intersted in this thread because i also have a Nokia LD-3W bluetooth GPS and i tried to connect it to Microsoft Autorout 2007. Dispite i connect the GPS device to the computer via bluetooth, when i start the aplication the conection is stopd.

By learning software help and Nokia LD-3W bluetooth GPS instrutions i realise that Nokia LD-3W bluetooth GPS works on system WAAS/EGNOS and Microsoft Autorout 2007 on NMEA 0183 version .

Can you help me in order to know if this can be solved?

Best regards

João P. Reis

Monday, February 5, 2007 4:24 PM
  • The port COM12 is valid. I can use the gps with autoroute 2007 on COM12.
    Tuesday, February 6, 2007 9:38 AM
  • You need to start gps tracking in autoroute then connect to the serial port on the gps. In this order.

LD-3W communicates with the gps apllication with NMEA 0183 v. 3.01. WAAS/EGNOS are  satellite based augmentation systems

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 9:51 AM
  • Device Emulator just uses following call to open the handle to the com port. So please write an application which tries to open the com port as specified by you. If it succeeds and Device Emulator fails, then device emulator has a problem. But if it fails you have to contact appropriate vendor for more details on what could be wrong here.

handle = CreateFileW(name, GENERIC_READ|GENERIC_WRITE,  0, NULL, OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED, NULL);

-Thanks,

Mohit

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 2:19 PM
  • I found a sollution but it is not verry ellegant.
    I use GPSgate and send gps output to tcpip, connect the emulator through ActiveSync.
    I have installed GPSGate for PPC on the device and collect the data from tcpip and output to a com port on the emulator.
    It works but with some crashes.
    Thanks for the replies.
    If you can find a better way please reply.
    I wish i could connect the emulator to GPSgate without ActiveSync.

Monday, February 12, 2007 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to add an additional comment to this topic. It seems that the WM Emulator does have a bug where mapping a serial port peripheral larger than 10 does not work. This (to me) shows that the emulator does not connect to the local couputer serial port correctly. It is most likely the emulator used a device name in the CreateFile function that looked something like "COM12". The device name should be specified as (C syntax) “\\\\.\\COM12”.

My work around was to remap the PC communication port to something lower than COM10. You can do this using "Computer Management". Below are steps to complete this task

Note you must have a serial port number available to perform the following.

1. To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
    2. Under the local computer, click on the Device Manager. The devices will appear in the right pane of the Computer Management window.
    3. Expand the Ports (COM & LPT)
    4. Right click on the port you would like to reassign and select properties.
    5. Click on the Port Settings tab
    6. Click on the Advanced button
    7. Select your COM port number.

Monte---

Monday, June 18, 2007 4:31 PM
  • Try this:

http://www.connecttech.com/KnowledgeDatabase/kdb227.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=115831

Otherwise if you try to open "COM10" with the attribute OPEN_ALWAYS, you'll see a file called COM10 gets created.....

Friday, July 6, 2007 2:57 PM