none
PoS for .Net - Device Setup strategy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team

I have successfully connected all 5 devices need to run my pos application.

They are

• Line Display
    • MSR
    • ThermalPrinter
    • CashDrawer
    • BarCodeReader

I have used Sean's book, which I must admit is the best possible resouces for any developer to get going for pos for .net framework, to setup all the devices.

My problem is, All devices gets initialised in app login form and then I will have other lots of forms which will utilise the devices as and when required with data event being specific to that form. This is the issue I don't know how to resolve.

Can we initialise devices in the begining and have data event specific to various form? One way of dealing with this problem is to Intialise the devices at form level and on close of the from de-Initialise them. But it takes about 5 seconds to form load/exit and in real time wouldn't be acceptable.

Example: msr can be used to login automatically when swiped but same can also be used to assign pin when creating and maintainig user pins. When later is being actioned it triggers the login data event and ignores the data event described in user maintenance form.

Any heads up.

Thank you

Sap

Friday, March 1, 2013 12:09 PM

Answers

• Multiple forms are tricky. There is an example in the book - section 3.5. You want to instatiate POSExplorer in a form one time, and this form must stay active. All other forms are passed data from the device as data is generated from the POS devices.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by SapHelp Monday, March 4, 2013 3:02 PM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 4:22 PM

All replies

• Multiple forms are tricky. There is an example in the book - section 3.5. You want to instatiate POSExplorer in a form one time, and this form must stay active. All other forms are passed data from the device as data is generated from the POS devices.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by SapHelp Monday, March 4, 2013 3:02 PM
    Friday, March 1, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Hi Sean

Thanks for your reply.

I think, as you correctly pointed that I need to keep the form active which has been used to instatiate POSExplorer.

I will try and hide that login form and work it that way or handle the data event conditionally to do diff tasks for diff global flag which I can set on load of individual forms. I think that should work. Do let me know if there is any flaw in my logic.

Once again much appreciate your reply.

Kind regards

Sap

Friday, March 1, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Correct the forum that instantiates POSExplorer needs to stay alive. Maybe create a blank form that launches the login and other forms.

-Sean

Friday, March 1, 2013 10:44 PM
  • Hi Sean,

Worked all weekend over and now I have solved the problem.

I will have to use flags to do execute block of codes for each situation which will be coded into each device data events.

Thank you once again.

Sap

Monday, March 4, 2013 3:01 PM