Wrong file reported as being used? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

the following problem is beyond my knowledge:

1. On my Windows machine I'm trying to uninstall the application.
    2. Uninstaller reported that I need to close TotalCommander before continuing.
    3. The application I want to uninstall has nothing to do with TotalCommander.
    4. The only thing that connects my application and TotalCmmander is the library named msvcp120.dll that is used by both my aplication and TotalComader.
    5. The difference is that TotalCommander uses the msvcp120.dll located in system directory (c:\Windows\Wystem32\msvcp120.dll) and my application uses library with the same name in completely different directory (c:\Users\john\AppData\Local\Ares\TestApp\msvcp120.dll). I have checked this in ProcessExplorer.
    6. I've checked both TotalCommander and my application - both of them really load the library from different locations.
    7. In my installer (I'm using Wix) I tried to disable InstallValidate action, but have ran into additional problems.

What I want to try now is to find out why am I being asked to close TotalComander when it has no obvious connection with the aplication I want to uninstall.

The following is the part of msi log file:

MSI (s) (C0:3C) [09:46:22:634]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT Message FROM Error WHERE Error = 1603 Info 1603.The file C:\Users\john\AppData\Local\Ares\TestApp\msvcp120.dll is being held in use by the following process: Name: explorer, Id: 4032, Window Title: '(not determined yet)'. Close that application and retry. MSI (s) (C0:3C) [09:46:22:635]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error MSI (s) (C0:3C) [09:46:22:635]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT Message FROM Error WHERE Error = 1603 Info 1603.The file C:\Users\john\AppData\Local\Ares\TestApp\msvcp120.dll is being held in use by the following process: Name: TOTALCMD64, Id: 11352, Window Title: '(not determined yet)'. Close that application and retry. MSI (s) (C0:3C) [09:46:22:635]: Note: 1: 2205 2: 3: Error MSI (s) (C0:3C) [09:46:22:635]: Note: 1: 2228 2: 3: Error 4: SELECT Message FROM Error WHERE Error = 1603 Info 1603.The file C:\Users\john\AppData\Local\Ares\TestApp\msvcp120.dll is being held in use by the following process: Name: TestApp, Id: 12056, Window Title: '(not determined yet)'. Close that application and retry.

Here I can see that the C:\Users\john\AppData\Local\Ares\TestApp\msvcp120.dll library is reported as being held by explorer, TotalCommander and my TestApp, but I'm asked to close only TotalCommander.

Thanks for any answer.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 11:33 AM

Answers

• Hi bljusruk,

To check whether the file is wrong reported, I suggest you make some tests below and share us your result.

1. Close your application and keep TotalCommander open, uninstall your application
    2. Close TotalCommander, and keep your application open, uninstall your application
    3. Close both TotalCommander and your application, uninstall your application.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 23, 2016 9:13 AM