none
how to connect real device with IoT Hub RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created and registered virtual device / Raspberry Pi simulator with Azure IoT Hub. Now please guide how do i get connected real device with Azure IoT Hub. so that i can get data from device.

what setup and pre-requisite are for setting it up.

I have to connect my plan machine with Azure IoT Hub.

Pls guide.

Thx

iffi

Monday, July 9, 2018 11:01 AM

All replies

• Hello imughal,

If you have followed this tutorial for virtual device, while here is a connecting real device for Raspberry Pi, you can choose node.js, C or python language. 

What's different with real device is you need have a Raspberry Pi 2 or Raspberry Pi 3 board and the following:

• A monitor, a USB keyboard, and mouse that connects to Pi.
    • A Mac or PC that is running Windows or Linux.
    • An internet connection.
    • A 16 GB or above microSD card.
    • A USB-SD adapter or microSD card to burn the operating system image onto the microSD card.
    • A 5-volt 2-amp power supply with the 6-foot micro USB cable.

If you want to read temperature data from real sensor device you also need(optional):

• An assembled Adafruit BME280 temperature, pressure, and humidity sensor.
    • A breadboard.
    • 6 F/M jumper wires.
    • A diffused 10-mm LED.

If you don't have the sensor, set the simulatedData value to true to make the sample application create and use simulated sensor data.

You can follow "Connect Raspberry Pi to Azure IoT Hub (Node.js)" tutorial step by step. Feel free let me know if you have any problem.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:16 AM
  • Hello, friend

As Rita Han pointed out, you should prepare hardware and software to make this happen.

Furthermore, you can refer to this step-by-step doc on hackster:

Windows 10 IoT Core and Azure IoT Hubs : Hands-on Lab

And there are many other Windows 10 IoT Core projects that you can refer to:

https://www.hackster.io/microsoft/products/windows-10-iot-core

Keep Fighting

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:48 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing links, what i am getting in links either connecting virtual device or Raspberry Pi. i am still not clear how about connect real physical device. for example i have car which i want to monitor so how about connecting particular car with IoT Hub. 

How should i registered / enroll my car into IoT hub. pls share real world example. what information should i have in order to connect my car with IoT Hub.

i hope u understand my situation and pls guide.

Thx.

iffi

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 5:48 AM
  • Hello, friend

That depends on what kinds of data you want from the car. 

If your car support OBD II, then you can refer to this project to collect the data of your car engine and transmit to the RPi.

https://www.hackster.io/SURYATEJA/black-box-obd-pi-using-raspberry-pi-e363aa 

Then, you can transmit the data from RPi to Azure IotHub.

Please note that you should design and do some coding by yourself.

Keep Fighting

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:21 AM
  • Hi imughal,

Have you connect the real device(Raspberry Pi) to Azure IoT Hub successfully. If the answers helped you solve the issue you can mark it, if not or there is any problem of this issue feel free let me know.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 9:29 AM