locked
1GB App memory limit in Windows Phone Store not working

    Question

  • Our app does not run well on Windows Phones with 512MB memory. The phone needs to have at least 1GB memory to run our app properly. According to the documentation (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj681682(v=vs.105).aspx) you should add the following to the app-manifest to set a memory requirement.

    <Prerequisites>
      <m3:MinDeviceMemory>1GB</m3:MinDeviceMemory>
    </Prerequisites>

    We have done this but users are still able to download the app on 512MB phones. Is there anything else we must do?

    Note: We have tried adding the old setting "ID_REQ_MEMORY_300", but that only works for Silverlight apps and ours is a WinRT app (Windows Universal App)

    Wednesday, March 04, 2015 7:42 AM

All replies

  • Hi Johan - I know we chatted about this yesterday, and I directed you to the Publishing team. If you've already added that value to the appx package per the documentation, I can only imagine that there's a problem with the Store since it should not be allowing the lw-memory phones to download the package, and that's why I redirected you.

    Please post a larger segment of the appx.manifest which contains this tag so I can be sure it's in the correct location.


    Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

    NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

    Wednesday, March 04, 2015 1:45 PM
    Moderator
  • Here's a larger portion of the Package.appxmanifest file. I have replaced sensitive info with "..."

    <Package xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/2010/manifest"
             xmlns:m2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/2013/manifest"
       xmlns:m3="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/2014/manifest"
       xmlns:mp="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/2014/phone/manifest">
      <Identity Name="..." Publisher="..." Version="1.1.0.1" />
      <mp:PhoneIdentity PhoneProductId="..." PhonePublisherId="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" />
      <Properties>
         ...
      </Properties>
      <Prerequisites>
        <OSMinVersion>6.3.1</OSMinVersion>
        <OSMaxVersionTested>6.3.1</OSMaxVersionTested>
        <m3:MinDeviceMemory>1GB</m3:MinDeviceMemory>
      </Prerequisites>
      <Resources>
        <Resource Language="x-generate" />
      </Resources>
      <Applications>
        <Application Id="App" Executable="$targetnametoken$.exe" EntryPoint="...">
       ...
        </Application>
      </Applications>
      <Capabilities>
        <Capability Name="internetClientServer" />
      </Capabilities>
    </Package>

    Thursday, March 05, 2015 10:07 AM