none
MS Access I/0 Errors RRS feed

• Question

• We have an application built on MS Access 2010 that has been working on Windows 10 for a few years. Starting about a month ago a number of customers have reported I/0 issues followed by database corruption errors. This is only happening on multi-user network environments. The timing of these issues seem to align with the recent April 2018 Update. We had a customer revert to the previous version and these issues seemed to have gone away, although for another customer this did not help.

As this issue is very random it has been difficult to track down what may be the source of the problem. Some articles suggest this may be related to SMB1 being enabled/disable which we have tried with a customer without success. Has anyone else run into this problem recently?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 4:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I do not know exactly how you built the database. So here is some advice that is essential because you speak about "database corruption errors and that is only happening on multi-user network environments."

Do you also synchronize the database? If so, I would advise you not to do so. I assume that it is a split database. In that case, leave the BackEnd on a server where it is not synchronized. If it is not a split database, then there is a problem.

Wherever a mistake is sometimes made, people also put the FrontEnd on a server and then create a shortcut for each user to the FrontEnd (on the server). That is not correct. Why? Suppose you have a query. Multiple users can then simultaneously use the same query with different criteria, so the result will not be good. The same principle also applies in case you allow the BackEnd to be syncronised. These issues can cause the database to become corrupt at a given moment.

So: a split database is necessary and every user must have a copy of the FrontEnd on his machine.

I hope it is of some use for you.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 8:18 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Your suggestions on splitting the front end from the database is how our solution is currently deployed. We use linked table on the frontend 'application' and the database files are on a network share. This was working until recently. We suspect the latest Windows update has caused this issue. 

Thanks 

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 9:00 PM
  • If your data is syncronized, things can go wrong. You might think that your construction was good because it did not lead to problems before. However, recently an operation on data could have been carried out that had not previously (or not at the same time or with multiple users at the same time) been performed.

I myself had a client who had his BackEnd synchronized and created shortcuts to one FrontEnd on a server for each user. It is logical that this leads to corrupt data. After he had followed my advice, they never had this problem again.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 9:16 PM
  • Hi

Do you run the system based on a wi-fi network, for all or some of the machines? My experiance, and others, says that will cause corrupt data. 

Cheers // Peter Forss Stockholm

Thursday, June 21, 2018 1:23 PM
  • Hi Peter,

The systems are all hard-wired. We have also verified all Windows Updates are installed and the network driver is up-to-date.

We are exploring an option to disable SMBv1 on the client systems to see if it resolves the issue, as this is very random and only started to happen about a month ago.

Thanks 

Thursday, June 21, 2018 4:20 PM
  • I once had random failures causing corrupt data.

(Maybe our set up was different with PC:s and a terminal server.)

My technical guy found this in the log files:

"{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \\srvdc\share$\Gemensam\data\trading base.accdb; the data has been lost.  This error was returned by the server on which the file exists. Please try to save this file elsewhere"

If I remember correctly he called it MUP failure (am not sure) Anyway Microsoft had a hot fix.

Cheers // Peter Forss Stockholm

Sunday, June 24, 2018 1:46 PM
  • This may be completely unrelated, but the timing seems to coincidental, see http://www.devhut.net/2018/06/13/access-bug-database-is-in-an-unrecognized-format/

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2017 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Monday, June 25, 2018 12:22 AM
  • Known issue with Windows 10 build 1803.

See workaround here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/access-reports-that-databases-are-in-an-inconsistent-state-%EF%BB%BF-7ec975da-f7a9-4414-a306-d3a7c422dc1d?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Monday, June 25, 2018 12:34 AM