"No authority could be contacted for authentication" RRS feed

• Question

• User-785853015 posted
    Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

My felling is that the IIS box is trying to connect to the domain controller and is failing to do so. If this is correct then technically this means it is nothing to do with our code but rather the server infrastructure, does that make sense?

In terms of the actual error. It occurs randomly throughout the day and the only thing the user sees is a white screen with this text written in the top left hand corner. When it occurs it affects anyone who tries to connect to the server during the time that this error is present. It seems to last for about 30 seconds before the system comes back up again. For people who are affected when they click refresh after the 30 seconds has gone by some have their sessions terminated and others can continue as normal. If a user pressed no button during the 30 second window, afterwards they can click a button and as far as they are aware nothing has happened. I can't seem to find any errors in the server log that coincide with when each time the error occurs.

So i was just wondering if anyone could confirm my above thoughts or if anyone has had this before and how they resolved it.

Thanks a lot
    Anthony<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:44 AM

All replies

• User-785853015 posted

Anyone got any ideas.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 2:01 AM
  • User1750794755 posted

I'm happy to read this perfect description of my problem. I'm a little sad that there seems to be nobody (even after googling) that has a solution. Is there really nobody that has a solution?????

Monday, June 16, 2008 11:56 AM
  • User-785853015 posted

To give you an idea, we are still trying to sort out what the problem is...

The problem got so bad and affected the business so much in our case that we placed a Premium Microsoft Support call. They spent 2 - 3 weeks trying to figure out what the problem was and came up with nothing. By the end internally within Microsoft there was 5 different teams working on it which all came up with nothing (the asp.net, .net, active directory, windows server and security teams).

In the end because of how much it was affecting the system, we ended up ditching the environment that the app was being hosted in and moving to a total different environment. Since that time we have not had any issues in the new environment. But in our case there were very good reasons why we where in the environment we where in and we have to move back to it ASAP. So we are still trying to find out what the issue is.

We have over 20 people working on this issue atm, we have had Premium Microsoft Support which turned up nothing and we don’t seem to be getting much closer. Current thoughts seem to be that it might be the firewall. So we currently in talking with the firewall manufacture to see if they have anything.

If anyone has any ideas on how they solved it I would be more than happy to hear...

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:15 PM
  • User1750794755 posted

A quick update on my problem: it seems that in our case the problems were caused by a difference in server software (I'm sorry I can't be more specific, I got the simple explanation from our IT guys). Our networkl was running on up to date software, the website server was in another domain that has older (NT) software.

When they transfered the webserver to the same domain as the users, the problem was solved. It has something to do with authorisation between the two domains, there sometimes was some miscommunication.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 11:19 AM
  • User-308968715 posted

I have faced the same issue.

Just need to unregister and register the server in domain.

Monday, May 12, 2014 10:24 AM
  • User-308968715 posted

I have faced the same issue with IIS 6.0.

Just one solution : Unregister and register the server with Domain.

Monday, May 12, 2014 10:26 AM