About using VEXCAD with RDS 2008 Simulations RRS feed

• Question

• If I use VEXCAD (from VEX Robotics) to design a 3D model of a robot, will I be able to use that 3D model to support robot simulation in RDS 2008?
    If the answer to the above question is yes, will it work in the RDS 2008 Express Edition too?

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 1:46 AM

Answers

• Hi, you can export as an obj file, but that file won't contain any joint information, mass, or other physical properties (other than the geometry). The simulator will be able to compute automatically collision geometry and inertia tensors but that is all.

I have not used VEXCAD, but if they have a Collada export option we also import that (Standard & Academic). Collada files can contain various physical properties in addition to geometry and rendering materials.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:58 AM

All replies

•   VEXCad has STEP, Inventor and SolidWorks models of the pieces available. 

I believe your question is really whether ______ (your CAD tool) is able to export a definition that the simulation supports.  I know there is the tool to convert OBJ to BOS so if your tool supports OBJ output then you should be ok.

Note that the public pages say that the Express edition is limited to 64 entities.  I'm not sure how the entity limit relates to the OBJ or BOS mesh files that are used.  I think (occasionally ;>) that it is one OBJ/BOS to one entity, but I'm not sure.  I haven't played with the simulation engine (to create simulations that is) very much.

Look at Simulation Tutorial 2 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb483078.aspx) for how they setup a simple robot simulation is setup.

Hopefully someone else can help answer given the model formats.  You probably need to specify what your tool is and what output formats it supports.  (You might also want to post this question in the simulation forum.)  I'm curious myself.  I've contemplated making a model for quite a while to add a simulated SquareBot to my implementation, but have never gotten around to it.  (Lack of CAD software has a something to do with it.)

Ed Harfmann
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Hi, you can export as an obj file, but that file won't contain any joint information, mass, or other physical properties (other than the geometry). The simulator will be able to compute automatically collision geometry and inertia tensors but that is all.

I have not used VEXCAD, but if they have a Collada export option we also import that (Standard & Academic). Collada files can contain various physical properties in addition to geometry and rendering materials.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 5:58 AM