getting started with lightswitch RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

i have been tasked with finding out more about this tool and how to incorporate it with existing courses on visual studio.

i have read several pages on microsoft.com about this tool, but have some basic questions that i'm hoping someone can answer. please keep in mind that i have not seen or used this software.

1. as i understand, there is a stand alone version and a version that ships with visual studio 2012. are there any differences between these two versions?

2. can a test or demo environment be set up on students laptops? if so, what other software is required?

3. does lightswitch come with a sample application and database?

4. is there any documentation that i can download and read to get a better idea of the types of applications that lightswitch can be used to develop?

5. if i understand correctly, lightswitch does not require one to write code. as it seems to be linked to visual studio, does that mean that code will be created behind the scenes in one of the development languages like visual basic of c++, from the options, if you will in lightswitch?

6. can lightswitch be used to create web applications?

7. can lightswitch connect to existing databases? if so, what types?

8. if the version of lighswitch being used is the one that comes with visual studio, does that mean that reports can be created from an application created with lightswitch in the version of crystal that comes with visual studio? can the full version of crystal reports be used to create reports from a lightswitch application?

thank you
    tracy

Monday, July 9, 2012 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Tracy

First of all welcome to LightSwitch community.

1. as i understand, there is a stand alone version and a version that ships with visual studio 2012. are there any differences between these two versions?

Yes, There is a difference. The standalone version (Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011) comes separate. You can install this version without having Visual Studio 2010 professional edition or higher. But the limitation is you can create only lightswitch project. You can't integrate any silverlight custom control or any other project like Silverlight Class Library and all that.

The version which is ships with visual studio 2012 is not a standalone. Microsoft make it as a part of Visual studio. Here also you need Professional edition or higher to play with lightswitch.

2. can a test or demo environment be set up on students laptops? if so, what other software is required?

Yes, It can be done. If you use Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 you have only trial period of 90 days. But Visual Studio 2012 RC Lightswitch is a go-live license. you can use this directly in your production.

LightSwitch do not have any built-in sample database or any sample application. But Yes, Sample LightSwitch application are there. Kindly visit below two links to download sample applications

LightSwitch Samples

LightSwitch Gallery

4. is there any documentation that i can download and read to get a better idea of the types of applications that lightswitch can be used to develop?

There are so many documentation are there in markets. But for better start I would prefer you to see all How Do I videos demonstrated by Beth Massi and buy the below two books

Pro Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 Development (By Yann Duran and Tim Leung)

Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed (By Alessandro Del Sole)

5. if i understand correctly, lightswitch does not require one to write code. as it seems to be linked to visual studio, does that mean that code will be created behind the scenes in one of the development languages like visual basic of c++, from the options, if you will in lightswitch?

Yes, You understand correctly. LightSwitch generate so many code for in back-end. You no need to alter that code. Only you have to write code for your business logic. For more information on this i suggest you to visit this Learn LightSwitch.

Yes Of course, LightSwitch is designed to build business application for Desktop, Web and Cloud.

Yes, LightSwitch support existing database. The SQL Server 2005 or higher, SharePoint database, OData, Other database (Oracle, DB2, Sybase) having Entity Framework 4 provider.

8. if the version of lighswitch being used is the one that comes with visual studio, does that mean that reports can be created from an application created with lightswitch in the version of crystal that comes with visual studio? can the full version of crystal reports be used to create reports from a lightswitch application?

There are so many way to create report in lightswitch. To know more about this i suggest you to follow the below thread

Create Report in LightSwitch

Hope you found this helpful...

Regards.

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi
    www.lightswitchspecial.com

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.
    This will help other users to find their answer quickly.

• Marked as answer by Otomii Lu Thursday, July 12, 2012 1:58 AM
    Monday, July 9, 2012 10:41 PM
  • Hi Tracy,

In addition to what Rashmi has stated:

1. The other difference between the two versions is that the stand-alone version (LS 2011) is Version 1 of the product, and the 2012 version that now only comes with Visual Studio 2012 RC (Pro or above) is the Release Candidate of LS Version 2. Also, the V1 stand-alone version will integrate into any existing version of Visual Studio (Pro or above).

2. "If you use Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 you have only trial period of 90 days" is misleading. If you've purchased the product, there is no such limitation. The minimum "other software" required on a demo machine is some instance of SQL Server (including Express) if the application is deployed. If you're demoing in development mode (debugging etc), no extra software is required.

5. "lightswitch does not require one to write code" - while the Marketing Department would love for this to be true, it is not. Some extremely simple CRUD type applications may not need any code, but you're more likely to find yourself often dropping down into code to write business logic ("the code only you can write" as they call it). LS provides all the "plumbing" code for you, that you would usually write over & over in each new application. The coding languages currently available are VB/C# only, not C++ (though you *may* be able to wrote some library code in C++, & add a reference to the DLL in your LS code).

8. No, there is no built-in report solution, even though VS has those two options that you mentioned. There are various "workarounds", involving SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services) server reports only, or via third-party offerings.

I hope that helps clarify the answers to the qiestions that you asked.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

If you find a reply helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful", if a reply answers your question, please click "Mark as Answer"

By doing this you'll help people find answers faster.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Tracy

First of all welcome to LightSwitch community.

Yes, There is a difference. The standalone version (Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011) comes separate. You can install this version without having Visual Studio 2010 professional edition or higher. But the limitation is you can create only lightswitch project. You can't integrate any silverlight custom control or any other project like Silverlight Class Library and all that.

The version which is ships with visual studio 2012 is not a standalone. Microsoft make it as a part of Visual studio. Here also you need Professional edition or higher to play with lightswitch.

Yes, It can be done. If you use Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 you have only trial period of 90 days. But Visual Studio 2012 RC Lightswitch is a go-live license. you can use this directly in your production.

LightSwitch do not have any built-in sample database or any sample application. But Yes, Sample LightSwitch application are there. Kindly visit below two links to download sample applications

LightSwitch Samples

LightSwitch Gallery

There are so many documentation are there in markets. But for better start I would prefer you to see all How Do I videos demonstrated by Beth Massi and buy the below two books

Pro Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 Development (By Yann Duran and Tim Leung)

Microsoft Visual Studio LightSwitch Unleashed (By Alessandro Del Sole)

Yes, You understand correctly. LightSwitch generate so many code for in back-end. You no need to alter that code. Only you have to write code for your business logic. For more information on this i suggest you to visit this Learn LightSwitch.

Yes Of course, LightSwitch is designed to build business application for Desktop, Web and Cloud.

Yes, LightSwitch support existing database. The SQL Server 2005 or higher, SharePoint database, OData, Other database (Oracle, DB2, Sybase) having Entity Framework 4 provider.

There are so many way to create report in lightswitch. To know more about this i suggest you to follow the below thread

Create Report in LightSwitch

Hope you found this helpful...

Regards.

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Monday, July 9, 2012 10:41 PM
  • Hi Tracy,

In addition to what Rashmi has stated:

1. The other difference between the two versions is that the stand-alone version (LS 2011) is Version 1 of the product, and the 2012 version that now only comes with Visual Studio 2012 RC (Pro or above) is the Release Candidate of LS Version 2. Also, the V1 stand-alone version will integrate into any existing version of Visual Studio (Pro or above).

2. "If you use Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011 you have only trial period of 90 days" is misleading. If you've purchased the product, there is no such limitation. The minimum "other software" required on a demo machine is some instance of SQL Server (including Express) if the application is deployed. If you're demoing in development mode (debugging etc), no extra software is required.

5. "lightswitch does not require one to write code" - while the Marketing Department would love for this to be true, it is not. Some extremely simple CRUD type applications may not need any code, but you're more likely to find yourself often dropping down into code to write business logic ("the code only you can write" as they call it). LS provides all the "plumbing" code for you, that you would usually write over & over in each new application. The coding languages currently available are VB/C# only, not C++ (though you *may* be able to wrote some library code in C++, & add a reference to the DLL in your LS code).

8. No, there is no built-in report solution, even though VS has those two options that you mentioned. There are various "workarounds", involving SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services) server reports only, or via third-party offerings.

I hope that helps clarify the answers to the qiestions that you asked.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

If you find a reply helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful", if a reply answers your question, please click "Mark as Answer"

By doing this you'll help people find answers faster.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:16 AM
  • hi babloo,

wow - thank you so much for such a detailed reply. i will be reading and re-reading all of your answers. you have provided so much info. i am very grateful and feel that i can now figure out how to go about creating a course for this tool.

again, thank you so much. i really appreciate your time.

tracy

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:36 PM
  • hi yann,

thank you for pointing these items out.

based on how you explained the differences between lightswitch 2011 and 2012, i think the full standalone 2011 will be the best option, as students will not have to upgrade to vs 2012. i just hope that it will not be discontinued when the 2012 version comes out.

thank you again
    tracy

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Hi Tracy

You are most welcome.

Regards

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:44 PM