Error 405 RRS feed

• Question

• User1826275489 posted

I am running a web role which is supporting several web sites.  Some are asmx web services, some are web forms, one is MVC.  I have implemented an up-time monitor.  Partly that is so that I get a notification if anything goes wrong.  More importantly, it keeps things active and stops the app pools shutting down (avoiding the startup lag when the site has not been accessed for a while).  All that is fine.

But, every couple of days, I am seeing a report that the MVC site was down for around a half hour or so.  Until today, only ever the MVC site.  Today, for the first time, I received a report that an asmx service was down (again for around a half-hour).  I have yet to see an alert for any of the the web forms sites. 

The error is always the same "405 - Method Not Allowed (The HTTP verb used is not allowed.)" - that doesn't actually seem to suggest a "site down" scenario of course.

So, any idea what could cause one site running in a web role to sporadically return errors, when other sites in the same web role are fine.

Thanks,

Nick

Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:18 PM

All replies

• User-902516579 posted

Hi,

If possible, you might want to look at the IIS log and see what verb is being used.  GET and POST are the most common.  The 405 just means a request is made to your domain using a verb that is not supported in your configuration.   Look specifically at the verb attribute in the handlers settings.

Look at the file extentions of the requested file that is associated with the 405 and the verb.  Then check the handler for that file extension to see if the handler supports that verb.

HTH, Benjamin

Friday, January 25, 2013 8:57 AM