Encryption in SQL alwaysON availability group data transfer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

we are doing a PoC on setting up  SQL AlwaysON availability group between my on-prem SQL and SQL db installed on Azure VM.( Not Azure SQL). The customer is worried about data encryption in transit. 

Is data in transit encrypted by default? Do we have any option of specifying it? 

Please help. 

Regards

Thahif

Thursday, February 14, 2019 2:07 PM

Answers

• Yes, the log blocks get compressed and encrypted before they're sent to the secondary replicas for synchronization. 

While you are on the New Availability Group wizard (if using SSMS), under "specify replicas", under "Endpoints", make sure that "Encrypt Data" is checked for all endpoints across all replicas. 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Friday, February 15, 2019 12:55 AM

All replies

• Yes, the log blocks get compressed and encrypted before they're sent to the secondary replicas for synchronization. 

While you are on the New Availability Group wizard (if using SSMS), under "specify replicas", under "Endpoints", make sure that "Encrypt Data" is checked for all endpoints across all replicas. 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" if my response answered your question or click "Vote as helpful" if it helped you in any way.

Friday, February 15, 2019 12:55 AM
  • Thanks Much Mohsin
    Tuesday, February 19, 2019 8:26 AM