none
Synchronizing data from a multi value combo box RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have a multi value combo box that shows all the shippers in it with a check box next to each shipper, on my form I want a field to show the pickup location like address, city, state and zipcode  based on my selection in the combo box, I know how to do it if the combo box is storing sigle value, but since it is a multi value one, I am lost.

Example

Shipper value for the first selection is    ABC company

Shipper value for the second selection is  XYZ inc.

how can I synchronize the address information that corresponds with each shipper in two different txt boxes to show

pickup address 1 ......   address information for my first selection

pickup address 2....... address information for my second selection.

I highly appreciate the help.

thanks

mo

moalmasri

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 6:29 PM

All replies

• These are the sort of problems you can run up against if a multi-valued field is used rather than modelling the many-to-many relationship type between whatever entity type the form's table models and a shippers table in the conventional way by means of a third table which resolves the relationship type into two one-to-many relationship types.

If you abandon the multi-valued field and use the conventional model you can easily achieve what you want in a subform based on a query which joins the table modelling the relationship type to the shippers table.

You'll find an illustration of how to recast the values in a multi-valued field into the conventional model in MVFCorrector.zip in my public databases folder at:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=44CC60D7FEA42912&id=44CC60D7FEA42912!169

Note that if you are using an earlier version of Access you might find that the colour of some form objects such as buttons shows incorrectly and you will need to  amend the form design accordingly.  

If you have difficulty opening the link, copy the link (NB, not the link location) and paste it into your browser's address bar.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 10:47 PM
  • Hi mo,

I am not sure I understand your form setup. If you had two shippers selected, are you saying you also have two independent textboxes where you want to display the corresponding shipper address? If so, what happens for records with three or four shippers selected? How will you display the extra addresses?

To help us better understand your situation, would you mind posting some screenshots showing the problem?

Thank you.

Thursday, June 28, 2018 1:26 AM