BizTalk Development Environment Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• I am curious about how others have their BizTalk development environment conifgured.  It would be helpful to see some different configurations with the pros and cons for each.  Here is mine on a Dell D820 with 4GB of RAM.

Host
    Windows Vista Enterprise (64-bit)
    VMWare Server 1.0.3
    SQL Server 2005 (64-bit)
    BizTalk Databases
    *Joined to Guest 1's domain

I also have two guests running in VMWare from an external hard drive.  Most of my BTS development is done on Guest 2.

Guest 1 (Domain Controller):
    Windows Server 2k3

Guest 2 (BizTalk Server):
    Windows Server 2k3
    VS 2005
    SQL Client Tools
    BizTalk 2006
    Enterprise SSO
    WSS
    *Joined to Guest 1's domain

Pros
    Useful for testing multi-server configurations
    Useful for testing clustering (If a 2nd BizTalk server is joined to the group)

Cons
    Some VMWare compatibility issues with Vista Enterprise.  Specifically the driver signing enforcement.
    Seems to run very slow sometimes
    Saturday, August 18, 2007 5:50 AM

Answers

• Monish,

One trick I always use in VPC to avoid network connectivity issues (the network mechanism in VPC is notorially flaky for laptops) is to configure the Loopback Network Adapter on my physical machine,with a fixed IP address, and then configure the Virtual Machines to use the loopback adapter and give each one a different, fixed IP address. A couple of entries in the hosts file for each one, and I've never experienced network connectivity problems between guest/hosts ever.

Might be worth a try...
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:32 PM

All replies

• I have the same basic setup with my Dell D830 but all my virtual machines run under VPC2007.

Jeff Lynch

MVP Windows Server System - Commerce Server

http://codebetter.com/blogs/jeff.lynch

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 5:45 PM
  • Do you have a VPC guest with a domain controller (DC)? If so, is your host a member of this DC? I've had some issues with VPC07 when joining a DC.  VMWare Server has this feature which allows you to start up a VM guest at the same time as when your host starts up.  That way you can login to the domain the first time you have added your host to the domain.

Have you encoutered this issue?

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 7:10 PM
  • Yes, each host and all of our virtual machines are part of our Active Directory domain. We've never had any issues adding a virtual machine to our domain.

Jeff Lynch

MVP Windows Server System - Commerce Server

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 7:19 PM
  • Just to confirm, is your AD server running on a VM on your host or on a separate standalone server? In my case, both the AD server and the BizTalk server are guests running on my host laptop.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 7:49 PM
  • Our domain controller is a separate stand-alone server not a virtual machine.

Jeff Lynch

MVP Windows Server System - Commerce Serrver

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 8:19 PM
  • As I suspected, I would not imagine running into any issues in that scenario.  I travel quite a bit and I need to have a development environment where I can play with multi-server configurations.  This means I need to have my DC available to my laptop somewhere.  This is a challenge when working with VPC2007.  I've been able to get it working with VMWare Server but it runs really slow on Vista (64bit) due to compatibility issues.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 8:54 PM
  • Monish,

One trick I always use in VPC to avoid network connectivity issues (the network mechanism in VPC is notorially flaky for laptops) is to configure the Loopback Network Adapter on my physical machine,with a fixed IP address, and then configure the Virtual Machines to use the loopback adapter and give each one a different, fixed IP address. A couple of entries in the hosts file for each one, and I've never experienced network connectivity problems between guest/hosts ever.

Might be worth a try...
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:32 PM