none
The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi everyone, I'm working with a windows/web service (c#) that manages some periodic jobs. Every job connects with a sql server 2008 database.

This error appears randomly in a specific function that reads the table and saves the data in a datatable using sqldataadapter. The amount of data is not huge and the database is relatively small.

In every job function there is a trasactionscope function but the error seems to appear when the function reads the data, then I don't think is a transaction problem.

I checked also the connections number with the utility sp_who2 in sql server and the number of connections current active are between 5 and 6.

I read other topic wich referred to this error but without find a solution.

Someone could help me to understand what could be or what check can I do.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:16 AM

All replies

• I'm trying to understand the problem, the error appears on the connection.open() function:

essage: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    .Net SqlClient Data Provider
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSniError(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, UInt32 error)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSni(DbAsyncResult asyncResult, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadNetworkPacket()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadBuffer()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadByte()
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, Int64 timerExpire, SqlConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(String host, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Int64 timerStart)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()

I suspect that the problem is related with the transactions that I use. Someone could tell me which type of check can I do to solve the problem ? 

Thanks

Monday, September 5, 2011 8:10 AM