Trying to make a SQL Server Reporting Service 2008 report public for basic users RRS feed

• Question

• User-777992925 posted

Hey.  I'm somewhat new to SSRS 2008 and I've built two datasources connecting to "HumanResources" and "HumanResourcesDev5" databases on a single server.  Both of those datasources have been changed from a Windows NT login clone to a preset login for a temp account that we have for testing called "Test2".  I have opened my created datasets and verified that when they open they ask for the password for the new credentials that I have set for the datasources.  After verifying this and the connection I re-opened the reports that I made within Report Builder (not Report Designer a VS extension) and verified all of the dataset and datasource information.  These reports and report parts get saved to the http://localhost/Reports folder within the server.  I have published the report parts to the /Report Parts folder within the localhost. 

This is where I begin to have issues...

When someone uses the reports that I have generated through report builder and link to them on our sharepoint site when a person without an actual account on the SQL server tries to view them they cannot because they do not have sufficient permissions.  And what I noticed is that it still tries to use their Windows NT credentials rather than the temp account (Test2) that we have created which is why they are not able to see the reports. 

I do not know if I need to publish these reports a different way, or use the report parts that I have published instead of the actual .rds file.  But what we're trying to do is have these reports accessible to everyone without the need to give everyone a SQL Server account.  I thought this would get fixed if I set the login to a static temp account.

Thanks,

Mike S.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 10:35 AM

Answers

• User-777992925 posted

I figured out my own problem for this one.

You have to change the settings on the report manager site and the individual folders that contain the reports.  Report manager is usually located at http://(ServerName)/Reports/Pages/Folder.aspx

1) Go to Site Settings > Security (Tab) and then click New Role Assignment.

2) Enter the users NT account in Group or user name: and then select System User for them.  Click Ok.  Click Home at the top to go to your reports folder.

3) Go to Folder Settings > Security (Only tab in folder settings) and then click New Role Assignment.

4) Enter the users NT account in Group or user name: and then I chose Browser so that the person would be able to see the folders and reports and subscribe to the reports.  Then click Ok.

That was pretty much it.  I allowed the person to be able to be a user of the reports and then I allowed them to see the folder and reports within report manager and anywhere else where I link them on Sharepoint.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 27, 2011 4:20 PM