none
Visual Studio 2015 EXE referencing a VS 2013 Library RRS feed

• Question

• Cheers,

I need a Help. I  have developed a C# Library in Vs 2013. Can a application developed in c# 2015 reference this Library ? Will there be any issues. Can someone please let me know.

awaiting your response..

Thanks very much...

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Why don't you simply upgrade the VS2013 project to VS2015 were both use the same version of the .NET Framework? That would make sense.

Otherwise try using the VS2013 project dll in the VS2015 project, most likely you will need to use the same .NET Framework in both projects.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 10:45 AM
  • I  have developed a C# Library in Vs 2013. Can a application developed in c# 2015 reference this Library ?

The version of Visual Studio doesn't matter. The important thing that you need to look at is the version of the Framework that you used for compiling each project. This can be found in a dropdown in the Properties of each Project.

Your application will be able to call a library that was compiled for a version that is the same or lower than the version of the caller.

So, for example, if you compiled your VS2013 library for the Framework 4.0 and you compiled your vs2015 app for the Framework 4.5 then it will work. If you had done it the other way 'round, then it wouldn't work.

Of course, by default, the version used by vs2015 will be newer than the one used by vs2013, so if you never changed either of them then it should work all right.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 12:28 PM
  • Thanks very much for clarifying this. 
    Wednesday, February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
  • Thanks so much Karen....
    Wednesday, February 19, 2020 8:45 AM
  • Hi sriram_sasken,
    I am glad you have got your solution,we suggest that you mark it as the answer. So it can help other people who have the same problem find a solution quickly.
    Best Regards,
    Daniel Zhang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 20, 2020 8:01 AM