LightSwitch as Public SharePoint App RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using LightSwitch a lot lately as a tool for building rapid prototypes and medium-size applications in SharePoint 2013 and specifically SharePoint Online.

It has worked great for me!  The only issue I have left is that I can't figure out how to make a LightSwitch application publically available?  If I push the LightSwitch application to my public SharePoint Online site, it works great but it requires you to login to access this.  Is it not possible to use LightSwitch in an "anonymous access" type manner?

I just had a customer ask this because they wanted to use Lightswitch for their surveys and wanted to be able to send their customers a link to the LightSwitch application in SharePoint.  Their application is hosted on SharePoint Online and uses SharePoint lists as the data sources.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 5:45 PM

Answers

• We had this discussion a while back and the short answer is "no" you can't do this with a LightSwitch app, esp if you want to access SP resources (e.g. lists).

I'll poke into it again and see if anything has changed since then but until then I don't have a better answer for you.

Just so I can have more data to drive the discussion, can you tell me a bit more about the customer scenario here?  It sounds like the survey is "anonymous" if we don't want the customer to have to login, how is data integrity maintained in that case?  IOW, prevent people from answering more than one survey, etc.

Thanks,

Brian

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:17 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:41 PM

All replies

• We had this discussion a while back and the short answer is "no" you can't do this with a LightSwitch app, esp if you want to access SP resources (e.g. lists).

I'll poke into it again and see if anything has changed since then but until then I don't have a better answer for you.

Just so I can have more data to drive the discussion, can you tell me a bit more about the customer scenario here?  It sounds like the survey is "anonymous" if we don't want the customer to have to login, how is data integrity maintained in that case?  IOW, prevent people from answering more than one survey, etc.

Thanks,

Brian

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:17 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:41 PM
  • You can definitely have anonymous surveys, we do it with SurveyMonkey and other tools all the time.  You named the main drawback, you can't really guarantee that someone won't spoof the survey.

I've been working with LightSwitch HTML for a lot of SP apps so I when I got the request, I saw it as a good opportunity to dive into the unknown.

For now, i'll just stick to authenticated LightSwitch apps.

Friday, August 9, 2013 1:21 PM