Is there any way to do a WER “Request Additional Files” for the windows temp directory? RRS feed

• Question

• My company has had numerous crashes reported to windows error reporting due to what looks like an install problem. The logs for our installs are typically in the windows\temp directory. I would like to include the install log file as a "Request Additional Files" entry, however there doesn't seem to be any way to get to a subdirectory of the list of environmental Variables that are provided. The windows temp directory is not in the list of values that you can work from, so I am stuck.

In general, I don't understand how it is possible to get at almost anything of use via the "Request Additional Files". For example, the %programfiles% directory shouldn't contain any useful files, they should be in a subdirectory for your product. What am I missing?

--Jason

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:03 AM forum consolidation (From:Windows Error Reporting for ISVs)
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:41 PM

Answers

• If you are using the Winqual website you can click on the button that says "Request Addtional Data" and there is a section where you can choose to collect a file from the %temp% directory.

We don't support sub directories as you have noticed.  If you have a specific file you'd like to request being collected in a sub directory of one of the other environmental variables, please email wer@microsoft.com

Cool beans
    • Marked as answer by khill Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:07 PM
    Monday, May 3, 2010 9:18 PM

All replies

• If you are using the Winqual website you can click on the button that says "Request Addtional Data" and there is a section where you can choose to collect a file from the %temp% directory.

We don't support sub directories as you have noticed.  If you have a specific file you'd like to request being collected in a sub directory of one of the other environmental variables, please email wer@microsoft.com

Cool beans
    • Marked as answer by khill Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:07 PM
    Monday, May 3, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Does that mean that every time you want a specific file you would need to email wer@microsoft.com?? 

What if you have a custom log file that you store in a sub directory?  You would want that for most of your events.  It would be a shame to have to email to request each of these?  And usually you wouldn't want to be putting files into these environment variables!

Thursday, December 1, 2011 12:02 PM