none
Windows HCK Client does not send a heartbeat HCK Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Over the past few days, I have not been able to run Windows HCK tests after a certain time on my client machines.The client machine sends an initial heartbeat to the server (as can be seen in HCK Studio & HCK Manager) when the HCK Client is installed on it. But it doesn't send any more. Its status changes to "Not Ready" after ~25-30 min, but cannot be changed back to "Ready" state. I researched for a solution on the web (summarized below) but none of them worked. 

Any pointers to this? What protocol are these heartbeats exchanged over?

Thanks

Khalid

Possible solutions tried:

1. Can continuously ping the client from the server and the server from the client (Windows firewall on the machines is disabled) before and after the heartbeat stops

2. Deleted the client machine from HCK studio. After doing this, I've seen a new heartbeat sent, but the client machine again hangs after ~25-30 min

3. When not heartbeat is sent, I changed the status to "Unsafe" and waited. But the state didn't change back to 'reset'. Rebooting the client didn't help either

4. After deleting the machine from the HCK studio, I restarted the client, restarted the HCK communication service (execute 'sc stop wlksvc' & 'sc start wlksvc' at the command prompt), uninstalled & reinstalled the HCK Client on the client machine. But all in vain

5. I also had the server and the client on a private LAN - to ensure that the client does not communicate with any other HCK server. But to no luck!

• Moved by HLK ModeratorModerator Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:47 PM WLK/WHCK related (From:Windows Hardware WDK and Driver Development)
    Friday, August 24, 2012 9:29 PM

Answers

• Khalid

If the hearbeat is lost between the HCK Controller and client, Please restart the HCK related Services on the client Machine, by going to Services.msc. In the Services list you will find a service related to HCK.[ my bad, sorry couldnt remember the service, I shall give the name @ the earliest].

Restarting the HCK Related service on the client machine should solve your problem. Once you restart the service, please try to change the status from Debug to Manual and then to Reset. This would change the client machine status to ready.

Thanks

Wintestlogo Team

Wintest Consultancy and Services Email:help@wintestlogo.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:31 AM

All replies

• Khalid

If the hearbeat is lost between the HCK Controller and client, Please restart the HCK related Services on the client Machine, by going to Services.msc. In the Services list you will find a service related to HCK.[ my bad, sorry couldnt remember the service, I shall give the name @ the earliest].

Restarting the HCK Related service on the client machine should solve your problem. Once you restart the service, please try to change the status from Debug to Manual and then to Reset. This would change the client machine status to ready.

Thanks

Wintestlogo Team

Wintest Consultancy and Services Email:help@wintestlogo.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:31 AM
  • Hi Doron

I tried what you suggested, i.e. once the heartbeat was lost between the HCK Controller and the client, I restarted the "HCK Communication Service" from both the Services list and from the command prompt ('sc stop wlksvc' followed by 'sc start wlksvc'). Each time I restarted the service, I changed the status from Debug to Manual - no probs there. But when I tried to change the status to Reset, I got a dialog box stating that it failed to reset the machine since it had not had a heart beat for at least '30' minutes. 

So was wondering if you have any other pointers?

Thanks

Khalid

Monday, August 27, 2012 4:40 PM
  • * First try to close the Studio and restart the client machine, if this didn’t work please check that the network connection between the machines on which you installed the Controller, the Studio and the Client is working properly and the computers can be accessed from each other. (ping test)

* I had a similair experieince and uninstalled the client app from the client PC - rebooted - and reinstalled the client. I have done that about 2-3 times after experiencing what you are experiencing and it worked over the years.

• Edited by richQC Monday, August 27, 2012 6:22 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 6:21 PM