Windows 8 keeps hanging up / freezing .. about every 2 minutes only on Mac Book Pro!

Question

• Hello everybody,

I am used with betas... and especially with Windows beta versions. I have installed the Windows Developer Preview on 3 different computers (HTC shift, a desktop and a Mac Book Pro).

It works well on the three devices... Except one important issue : it hangs up all the time with the Mac Book Pro !

I can't see what is the problem as it totally freezes, the mouse is frozen, the keyboard is frozen and I get no error message.

Here are some situations it happens:

- without doing anything.. it hangs up in the metro UI just after boot without getting the time to start the bootcamp application at startup

- when copying or downloading files

- when browsing the internet with only chrome running (no Metro App running).

- it happens with battery or with the power.

- it happens both in Metro UI or in Windows UI

- it happens with all power modes (performance, battery saver, balanced)

- it happens with or without using external monitor

It is a big issue, and I would love to find why it happens but in the action center it says "No issues have been detected by Action Center". 

Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:59 AM

Answers

• It is already up to date.

It seems that the problem comes from the Mac's monitor because with an external monitor in extended mode -> it freezes also.

But when I set the projector mode in to Display only .. it does not seem to freeze anymore !

I have to test for a complete day... but it seems that the issue comes from the Apple macbook display driver.

I hope Microsoft will fix that soon with Apple... because having a computer that does not work except with an external display is kinda.. painful :)

Have fun ! The koala

• Marked as answer by Koala996 Friday, November 25, 2011 4:39 PM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 4:39 PM

All replies

• Koala996,

Have you downloaded all the latest Windows update for Windows Developer Preview?

Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:32 PM
    Answerer
  • I suggest you contact Apple to get any updated drivers for bootcam. Check in device manager to see if your video card has the latest Windows 7 drivers and run in compatibility mode to install them. 

Marilyn
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Hello everybody,

I am used with betas... and especially with Windows beta versions. I have installed the Windows Developer Preview on 3 different computers (HTC shift, a desktop and a Mac Book Pro).

It works well on the three devices... Except one important issue : it hangs up all the time with the Mac Book Pro !

I can't see what is the problem as it totally freezes, the mouse is frozen, the keyboard is frozen and I get no error message.

Here are some situations it happens:

- without doing anything.. it hangs up in the metro UI just after boot without getting the time to start the bootcamp application at startup

- when copying or downloading files

- when browsing the internet with only chrome running (no Metro App running).

- it happens with battery or with the power.

- it happens both in Metro UI or in Windows UI

- it happens with all power modes (performance, battery saver, balanced)

- it happens with or without using external monitor

It is a big issue, and I would love to find why it happens but in the action center it says "No issues have been detected by Action Center". 

Most of the time the freezing issue can be caused by outdated drivers. As said above search for driver updates and install them.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Expert (IT Pro)
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 10:57 PM
  • It is already up to date.

It seems that the problem comes from the Mac's monitor because with an external monitor in extended mode -> it freezes also.

But when I set the projector mode in to Display only .. it does not seem to freeze anymore !

I have to test for a complete day... but it seems that the issue comes from the Apple macbook display driver.

I hope Microsoft will fix that soon with Apple... because having a computer that does not work except with an external display is kinda.. painful :)

Have fun ! The koala

• Marked as answer by Koala996 Friday, November 25, 2011 4:39 PM
    Friday, November 25, 2011 4:39 PM