none
License for linking .lib files from Windows Driver Kit 7.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am desperately searching for information on the license to link .lib files from the Windows Driver kit 7.1 - specifically the following files:

7600.16385.1\lib\win7\i386\hid.lib

7600.16385.1\lib\win7\i386\setupapi.lib

7600.16385.1\lib\win7\amd64\hid.lib

7600.16385.1\lib\win7\amd64\setupapi.lib

The provided license.rtf and redist.txt files don't seem to allow linking these files, but without the permission to link the files the whole WDK seems to be pointless. Can anyone provide useful Information to me regarding the legal Situation here?

Kind regards,

Michael Schmidt

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 4:05 PM

Answers

• if you have concerns with the language of the wdk licencing and redist files I suggest you contact Microsoft support and see if they can provide clarity. The spirit of the docs is that you are free to use to the static code shipped in the wdk as a part of your binary, the rest of the world does this without incident, your company should be no different. Specifically to the two libs you listed above, neither of these contain static code, all they contain are link import resolutions so that your binaries IAT points to the right host name

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Mic Schmidt Wednesday, August 24, 2016 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:08 PM

All replies

• I am not a lawyer. What specifically in the licensing is causing you to doubt you can use the libraries listed? the license doesn't explicitly list every lib you can use and with respect to redist.txt, you are not redistributing the libraries files you link against, you are distributing your binary. the inputs into the binary are typically not covered by a redist agreement.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 4:35 PM
  • Hi Doran,

thanks for your answer. While I, too, have the feeling that the license is meant the way you describe (redistributing not referring to linked libraries), but I have the following two concerns:

First of all, our legal experts expect a license which clearly state that we are allowed to incorporate some other entities code - be it source or object form - into our products, and under what conditions. If we can't come up with one, they won't let us ship the product.

Second, the license agreement says I am allowed to "distribute in programs you develop", making it unlikely that compiled source code or statically linked libraries would not be affected by the chapter. Starting with Windows 8.0 SDK/WDK, also lib files are mentioned in redistributable sections, so it is probably not just our lawyers feeling that linking the libs leads to distribution of the object form of the code.

Unfortunatley, we still have to support some Vista systems if possible, so updating to the 8.x or 10.0 [S|W]DK is not an ideal option.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:02 PM
  • if you have concerns with the language of the wdk licencing and redist files I suggest you contact Microsoft support and see if they can provide clarity. The spirit of the docs is that you are free to use to the static code shipped in the wdk as a part of your binary, the rest of the world does this without incident, your company should be no different. Specifically to the two libs you listed above, neither of these contain static code, all they contain are link import resolutions so that your binaries IAT points to the right host name

• Marked as answer by Mic Schmidt Wednesday, August 24, 2016 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 8:08 PM
  • Thanks, Doron! The point about the import resolutions is of course the relevant point here. Since the dlls themselves were not part of the WDK, I assumed that the .lib files were static libraries but of course the dlls are already deployed with windows itself! That should resolve the legal concerns.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 3:07 AM