Error trying to deploy, anyone any ideas? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to deploy a Lightswitch app (built in VS2013 Ultimate Update 2 RC, with a Silverlight client), and am having a lot of problems. The person in charge of the web server says that he has installed all the LS pre-requisites, has checked that the web management and Web Deployment Agent services are running, that ports 80 and 8172 are open, and that the service URL and site/application names are correct.

When I try to deploy, I get as far as the Publish Settings step, but if I click the Validate Connection button, I get the following...

Anyone any ideas as to what else we can try? I don't have access to the server, and he doesn't know anything about Lightswitch! This doesn't make it easy.

Thanks for any help you can give.

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Thursday, May 1, 2014 4:37 PM

All replies

• Are you on the same LAN or are you publishing across the net? If the latter, it could be a firewall issue? If local, can you telnet to the port and get any response from the server? ( just to test if the listener port is there) what version of IIS and server OS is it?
    Friday, May 2, 2014 5:59 AM
  • Hello Scott, thanks for the reply.

I'm across the net, but we've checked the firewall and it seems to be OK.

We can telnet into the server fine, and it's running Windows 2008 R2 with IIS 7.5

Does that give you any more ideas? Thanks again

FREE custom controls for Lightswitch! A collection of useful controls for Lightswitch developers. Download from the Visual Studio Gallery.

If you're really bored, you could read about my experiments with .NET and some of Microsoft's newer technologies at http://dotnetwhatnot.pixata.co.uk/

Sunday, May 4, 2014 4:56 PM
  • In my experience you need to isolate 2 of the 3 problems here.

1. Your machine / VS config

2. the network

3. The server

Do you by chance have another test? server you could try the deployment to ? If this works or fails it could give some clues as to weather 1 or 3 is the issue.

Can you try to deploy via another network ? This would eliminate any FW/network issues at your end. 

Once narrowed then some ideas may flow for the cause.

Some other ideas include using netstat to make sure the local process is using the correct port/protocol for communication. Can the guy managing the web server see anything unusual in his logs from your public IP ?

Monday, May 5, 2014 11:18 AM
  • Hello Ordinary Orange (great name!), thanks for the reply. Here are some answers...

1) Unlikely to be the problem, as I can deploy Lightswitch apps to my own server, which seems to imply that it's not due to my machine settings.

2) Not sure how I'd use another network, but I can FTP and telnet into the server without problems, so it doesn't look like a network issue.

3) This would be my guess, but the problem is working out what. I know when I first started deployment to my server, I had a terrible time trying to get it working. It was only after a long session screen-sharing with Garth Henderson that we (well, he) got it working. I haven't changed anything since then for fear of breaking his hard work!

Can you explain more about using netstat? I'm not sure what you mean. The person who maintains the server is monitoring this thread, so hopefully he'll check the logs and see.

Thanks again.

Monday, May 5, 2014 11:38 AM
  • 1) Good, yes if you have this working then I agree that it is unlikely.

2) My thoughts here were to try and do a deployment via your phone (if you have internet on your phone) or via somewhere like the wireless at your local cafe. i.e. so the outgoing connections are not via your standard WAN. This will isolate your network end.

3) Yes most likely issue.

Are you deploying HTML5 app ? I'm not up with the details. You mention you have checked ports 80 and 8172 are open. There are 2 spots to potentially block. 1. the firewall on the webserver itself or 2. on the hardware firewall for the LAN the webserver sits behind. your webserver guy can check the former, but the latter may need a network guy (dependign on the organisation...). You mention you did a telnet. Di you telnet to both these port numbers ? If you got a connection on both, then the FW at the other end is not an issue.

Netstat is an old console program with windows. You can use it to see what port's an application is trying to communicate over. It can be a bit painful to use. But try the GUI version here. Run that when you try to deploy to see what ports are actually being opened to the remote server. 

The error suggest to me that the application is either trying to publish using a port that is blocked somewhere, or communication from the web server back to your machine is being blocked.

Let me know what you find. Painful when you don't have control over the server....and that is where the could is taking us....

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:07 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mr Yossu Tuesday, May 13, 2014 1:14 PM
    Monday, May 5, 2014 12:06 PM

• Some other ideas include using netstat to make sure the local process is using the correct port/protocol for communication. 

Hi, I'm the guy running the server.

At the server end or client end?

Can the guy managing the web server see anything unusual in his logs from your public IP ?

Which logs should I be checking?

Monday, May 5, 2014 12:34 PM
  • I've tried creating a basic lightswitch app on my home machine (also different LAN to server) and I can't deploy either so I suspect it is something in the server config.  

Server isn't behind a separate hardware firewall, so that isn't an issue and I've checked the software firewall.

Monday, May 5, 2014 12:41 PM
  • Ok, good definitely a server issue. Gives something to focus on.

You can run the netstat on both ends. The tool shows active connections and listening ones. it also should show the IP/DNS name of any active connections.

While I've run it on a server before to debug other specific processes, I don't ever recall using it to debug the web process. Might be useless if there are too many connections. But the GUI may let you filter by IP. (i'm used to the console version)

Do you have any logs for the software FW ? Are the any blocks for the public IP of the publishing machine ?

are there http get requests from that same public IP in the web logs ?

Are there any exceptions in the server application logs ?

Just found this thread. Maybe some ideas here too if you have not already seen it.

Monday, May 5, 2014 1:01 PM
  • Hi Yossu,

According to your description and error message above, as our community member said, the application is either trying to publish using a port that is blocked somewhere, or communication from the web server back to your machine is being blocked.

You could deploy a simple LS application to different remote servers, and check whether it is related to your LS application or remote server.

hope it helps.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:30 AM