none
Unattended Install: Saving off a file before disk configuration RRS feed

• General discussion

•  We use WES7 SP1 on our devices, and have created an image using ICE. We install the image using a CD-ROM, and as part of that install, the disk gets its partitions wiped and recreated.

When we update to a new OS build on a device that has existing software, we would like to pull off a logfile from the device before the drive gets wiped, and then replace it after the drive is all set up.

Since the Ram drive X: is the only other drive I have access to, it is the only temporary storage I can use.  I have successfully copied the log to the ram drive by using a runAsyncrnous command. I then attempt to restore the file by coppying it from X: back to C: using a runSyncronous command.

I edited the answerfile by hand to move the commands to the order I want them to run in, but It seems like these commands both run before the disk is partitioned, which is keeping me from saving the file. I am guessing that the ordering in the XML file doesn't actually matter?

I tried adding a restore command to pass 4, but that doesn’t do any good, as is too late because the RAM drive no longer has its contents (if it even exists at all).

Does anyone know of a way to accomplish what I am trying to do, without using another drive?

Thanks

Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:43 PM

All replies

•  

Does anyone know of a way to save off the ProgramData folder before format, and then restore it? I would really like to save it to the ram drive since I know it will be X:, and then restore it to C:

I can get the folder copied to the ram drive, but I can't figure out how to get it copied back onto C: after it is formatted, because the computer reboots and I lose the ram drive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:45 PM
  • what you want to do is highly risky at power failure.
    you can use startnet.cmd instead of the launched setup.exe

delete setup.exe in boot.wim, create/edit startnet.cmd in system32\

script the things you need, start installation within the cmd with the setup.exe in source\ with parameters for unattend.

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany (Preparing a blog about Windows Embedded Standard)

• Edited by KNARZ Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:50 PM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:49 PM