none
OneNote add-in, options for UI? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm currently building a C#/WPF desktop application to add value for OneNote (ON) users. I should also note that I'm coming at this from a cold start; I've never developed on Windows before and my background is LAMP stack development. That said I'm doing OK and am really enjoying working with C# and also VS 2012 as a dev tool.

Anyway, I need to tie my app into ON itself and an add-in is the obvious way to do this. I see that there is no VSTO for OneNote but I still have (nearly) got a barebones add-in working.

My question is what *other* resources over and above the ON API are available to me to develop any add-in? For example UI elements, are there more generalised office libraries that will allow me to integrate controls into the ON space itself other than the ribbon or new windows/forms. Best case scenario would be the ability to add docakable panes within ON itself. Is this possible?

I've shied away from looking at Office VSTOs and what options developers have when using them as I assumed they were not relevant so I guess I sub question is: will picking apart other add-in examples targeted to the rest of the Office family give me further insight here or is it, as I suspect, a waste of time?

Thanks.

Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Darren,

Thanks for posting on MSDN forum.

As far as I know, the add-in for OneNote is not officially supported currently.

>> My question is what *other* resources over and above the ON API are available to me to develop any add-in? <<
    I’m afraid there are no other official resources except OneNote 2013 developer reference.

>>For example UI elements, are there more generalised office libraries that will allow me to integrate controls into the ON space itself other than the ribbon or new windows forms. Best case scenario would be the ability to add docakable panes within ON itself. Is this possible<<

Base on my understanding, you want to custom the UI of OneNote like add an action panel or task panel on it. But these features are not supported by OneNote right now (refer to Office UI Customization).

If you have any feedbacks or suggestions about Office Development Platform, please feel free to submit your feedback to User Voice.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Darren,

Thanks for posting on MSDN forum.

As far as I know, the add-in for OneNote is not officially supported currently.

>> My question is what *other* resources over and above the ON API are available to me to develop any add-in? <<
    I’m afraid there are no other official resources except OneNote 2013 developer reference.

>>For example UI elements, are there more generalised office libraries that will allow me to integrate controls into the ON space itself other than the ribbon or new windows forms. Best case scenario would be the ability to add docakable panes within ON itself. Is this possible<<

Base on my understanding, you want to custom the UI of OneNote like add an action panel or task panel on it. But these features are not supported by OneNote right now (refer to Office UI Customization).

If you have any feedbacks or suggestions about Office Development Platform, please feel free to submit your feedback to User Voice.

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:31 AM
  • Thanks.

marking this as answer because of the link to Office UI Customisation.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:02 PM