Forum or Discussion area ? RRS feed

• Question

• User1275632693 posted

Hey, has anybody got around to adding a Discussion Forum to the Club Site yet?

I will look and see what is out there and add it.

Sunday, February 26, 2006 8:38 PM

All replies

• User305162745 posted
    it would be cool if somone who knew how to do it would post it here  :)
    Monday, February 27, 2006 6:14 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi,

Yes I think that would be nice. Being new at this stuff I can't really contribute at any technical level yet.

But I would be willing to help in terms of testing and so on.

Lex

Monday, February 27, 2006 11:00 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Ok,

I remember when I installed and tweaked my Personal Site Starter kit, www.angeloabruzzese.com

I was looking to add a forum section, I had found a few interesting prospects but the good one's all wanted money. I will resume my search for a decent module and perhaps we can work on it together as a group.

www.angeloabruzzese.com is hosted at dotnetpark while my club starter kit is on my personal server at home with IIS5.1 and ASP.Net 2.0 framework installed.

I am using VS2005 express and the WebMatrix as an IDE, I am thinking I might try to use Eclipse.

Monday, February 27, 2006 9:10 PM
  • User1272303263 posted
    Hi,

I was planning to implement the same " foums " in " Personal Kit ".

I do not know how to mix community server forums along with personal kit.

I am also looking for someone to help me on this requirement.

Thanks

Paggy4u

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 12:06 AM
  • User-332238837 posted

I have been looking in to this, not had time to implement anything yet, but I was looking at

Jitbit AspNetForum

http://www.jitbit.com/product.aspx?ProductID=5

It's free, and looks quite easy to implement.

Monday, March 6, 2006 2:55 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Define free?

Lex

Monday, March 6, 2006 3:32 PM
  • User-332238837 posted

FREE version available. Get a free ASP.NET forum: fully functional, no limitations. It contains a small "powered by" label on top.

I'd call that FREE......

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 1:59 AM
  • User380413204 posted

ehhhh. yes. [:$]

I'll try it out

Lex

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 3:47 AM
  • User2069888697 posted

From the Terms of use.

C.  You may use the trial versions and product tours of the SOFTWARE only for the limited purposes of demonstrations, trials and design time evaluations and running a product tour. You may use the trial version ONLY with a "Powered by Jitbit AspNetForum TRIAL version" label on top of every page.

I also could not find anywhere whether it is ASP 2.0 or 1.1. Price is reasonable for a licence though and they do offer the source for a reasonable price.

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 7:28 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi MaineOne,

I see that you use a forum similar to ASP.NET.

I gather it is beyond me for now but nevertheless was it very difficult to achieve?

And is it working to your satisfaction?

Grtz,

Lex

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 10:14 AM
  • User2069888697 posted

It is offered as an auto setup application with my hoster.  So I don't know about setting it up from their download.

It is the free version (similar terms of use as JitBit) and does have some limitations.  For the most part it works fine, but I have noticed some issues of posts causing errors and causing me to close out of IE and go back(I assume its because it didn't post properly). I haven't tried to track down the cause because I am only planning on using it until I have finished my own site. Their cost for a licence is too much for me.

I did look further into Jitbit AspNetForum and it is an Asp1.1 version.

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 11:22 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

I am working to implement this forum with the Club Starter KIT.

http://forum.itcn.com/

They have a Free version that works under Framework 1.1 just not sure if it will work properly under 2.0, at this point I am having issues with the Explicit On / OFF.

I like the look and feel and the no bells and whistles aspect of it, I dont want to change the overall look and feel of the kit simply to adapt a Forum Area.

If anyone has any luck getting this up and running I would love to colaborate on it.

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 10:51 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Who says a little perseverance does not pay off. Ok well at least it is up and running, now to integrate it to the club starter kit.

http://67.164.255.166:8029/Forums/forum.aspx

Thursday, March 9, 2006 1:19 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Ok, nice in itself.

But to be honest I would only be interested if you could lose all the adds.

I would like te use a forum for the foundation I work at, so no add/banner (other than our own) can be used there.

Lex

Thursday, March 9, 2006 5:06 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Lex,

Of course the Ads are going, that was a raw install as is.  There will be some tweaking to do for it to integrate into the look and feel of the Site, for now it is up and running.

I will be making some mods over the weekend to change the way it looks and add it to the overl site navigation.

Thursday, March 9, 2006 7:43 AM
  • User-2132402531 posted
    i was viewing club site starterkits but i dont understand how they put image into Div html web control and many other control like skip repetitive navigational links. Can you please tell me
    Thursday, March 9, 2006 8:47 AM
  • User305162745 posted
    could yo use the same user name and password for the forum  , that you are using for the starter kit ??  
    Thursday, March 9, 2006 10:03 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Attila,

I am reviewing the code and looking to make it seamless, the answer to your question is yes but that has not been implemented as of yet.

Thursday, March 9, 2006 8:12 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Ok I have started to convert the ITCN forum to blend into the Club Starter Kit, I am almost done with the first Page, you can see how it fits into the Kit by following the FORUMS choice on the Site Navigation Menu.

http://67.164.255.166:8029/

For now I am still working to convert the rest of the pages but it should not be too long before I get the whole thing done.

Let me know what you guys think? Also we could possibly work together as a group and expand that base software.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:19 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Looks Nice,

Let me know whenever you need help testing it through and through.

Lex

Sunday, March 12, 2006 3:52 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi,

I have some more questions regarding your recent developments.

Has the going been very difficult? (real newby here, you see)

Do you think its possible to integrate email instead of having to fill it in at each post?

And furthermore:

How do you feel about a project where we have a Club Starter Enhanced Kit?

We could document it and even make it possible to download stuff.....

One with less bugs, solved problems, and new functionality (like your forum)

I have been playing around with this kit for a few weeks now and with the help of you guys managed to realize some (very small) improvements.

Regarding:

Login

Button (rollover) consistency

Change the standard tooltip of the EventCalendar

But I expect to be able to do more as my knowlegde of ASP and VB.NET grows.

Lex

Monday, March 13, 2006 6:14 AM
  • User-332238837 posted

JitBit AspNetForum now runs on ASP.NET 2.0.

I'm working on making modifications to use it with Club Site Starter Kit.

I will post the required changes once I have completed it.

Monday, March 13, 2006 9:36 AM
  • User-1142307341 posted

JitBit AspNetForum for .NET 2.0

where to download?

can you give me the zip?

etrelin@126.com

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 10:25 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Lex,

That would be a wonderfull idea, I wonder if we should make a sourceforge project or perhaps the admins here would not mind open a New Thread... Club Starter Kit 2.0  ...:)

I do think that a central repository for cumulative knowledge and enhancements is a great idea, I wonder if we should think of adding a File Sharing Mechanism to the Club Starter Kit as well.

The thing is once you get started the road just gets longer and has many a twist in it.

I am down to the last page  or two of the forum, it will be fully ready soon.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 1:04 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi,

Can't wait to see your results.

I'll make an inventory of the little things I have changed to he CSK so far.

I think preferably any files would be obtainable through this forum?

I am completely new at all this. Not only ASP, but to the entire Internet stuff.

I do have some experience in building  "apps" in MC-Access though. Always used to say that some day in the future I would make a start with it. I think the CSK and its functionality is a great way to get acqainted with ASP. But then there is also SQL-server, XML, Jscript, HTML, VB.NET, CSS, <ETC.>  So I can understand what you mean with that road and the twists.

Regards,

Lex

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 10:33 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Down to the last page now, all the functions work except for Starting a new thread.

At this point pretty much all the User Facing GUI is complete, just one last page to convert and then I will have to make the mods to the Adminstrative side of the Forum.

I also implemented Authentication based on the ASP.NET membership model, now you must be authenticated and logged in before you can post on the forum.

I am thinking i will have the entire forum finished by Saturday sometime, of course this is VS 1.0 we will see if anybody wants to help kick it up another notch.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 1:33 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Well count me in.

Though I am not sure if I can be of any help coding it to the next level . I can thoroughly test it and perhaps come up with some ideas.

Lex

Thursday, March 16, 2006 3:26 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi,

Just added another small adjustment (more for us Europeans I guess)

Changed the AM/PM clock to 24 hour-clock in the DateTimePicker of Eventcalendar.

Lex

Saturday, March 18, 2006 9:37 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lexy,

That is excellent, although I bet most americans still go with the 12hours AM/PM cycle. 

I will probably add the forum to my personal site as well.

www.angeloabruzzese.com

I could add a file section where we could share the files that go along with our ideas.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 9:59 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Angelo,

That would be nice. A good registry would also be needed I guess. So users can look up what they might use.

And about that forum:

Can you get the conversion the way you want it to be? And what I am also very interested in: Are you going to share your achievements, or do you think I should make a start (try) adjusting that forum myself.

Regards,

Lex

Saturday, March 18, 2006 11:38 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Of course I will share them, that is the whole purpose of the Forum here right?

What I do like though is folks who show some interest and do a little work, there are far too many out there who simply want want want and do nothing.

I will make a zip file with all the modified files find a place to post them.

For now I have changed all the pages that the standard site members would see, I am changing quickly the admin pages.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 3:52 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi all,

I could be wrong but it seems ICTN asks 39 $ for downloading now.

So in the meantime (Angelo is cooking up something with the ICTN Forum)  I've Been playing around with Jitbit AspNetForum like posted by Coppermill ealier.

Can't say that I am certain that it could be a success, but on the other hand I could get it started with not all to many errors occurring.

Any others with experience on this Jitbit Forum?

I'll let you know how I get along.

Lex 

Thursday, March 23, 2006 9:52 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi,

Well the JitBit Forum is online. Email notifications seem to work.

Lots to be done still:

Relative path for the Access database (or maybe switch to SQL)

Make Login site equal to Login Forum

...and lots more.

Did not make any cosmetical changes as of yet. When you want to take a look:

http://80.126.181.96/web26

Regard,

Lex

Thursday, March 23, 2006 12:54 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lexy,

Yes you are correct ITCN wants 39$ but that is for thier newer version, you can still download the unsupported/older version which is what I did and then of course you need to do a little sweating to get it to fit into the site.

The one I downloaded is freeware and under the GNU license, so there are no restrictions on reuse.

I have made lots of changes to the code so already it is less recognizable.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 9:58 PM
  • User2069888697 posted

hey angelo,

How close are you to finishing?  I have put my work on a forum from scratch on hold, as I am interested in your project.

I did see they have a version that is true open source which was one of my major concerns.

I could help if you need it, but it sounds like you have it under control.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:05 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Shot me an email and I will send you the zipped up files as they stand.

Right now I have finished with the User Facing pages, the Admin pages are next but they would be quite simple.

It is a bare bones forum but still does the job and is not overloaded with bells and whistles.

Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:45 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Angelo,

Could you give it another try to mail me these pages also (to my Gmail address)

I sent that address to you earlier by E-mail (but perhaps it went wrong somewhere)

Thanks in advance,

Lex

Friday, March 24, 2006 4:07 AM
  • User-1909038188 posted

Ok, nice in itself.

But to be honest I would only be interested if you could lose all the adds.

I would like te use a forum for the foundation I work at, so no add/banner (other than our own) can be used there.

Lex

What ads? I am not seeing any ads on that forum.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 7:48 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Lexy,

I tried at least a half dozen times to send you the files, somehow it keeps returning failed.

I will probably just post them out on my Club Site for you to download. Perhaps I will look for a File Share Module for the Club Kit as well :)

Saturday, March 25, 2006 8:49 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Angelo,

Strange, At least my Gmail account should work flawlessly.

Thanks for all your trouble. I am looking forward to a solution to obtain the files.

Currently I am looking at Jitbit. Part of the license is that you keep a "Powered by Jitbit"

label at every page.

How is that with ICTN?

Also I am looking at a simpel chat function. Does not work yet. Keep getting a nullreference problem.

I'll keep you all posted.

Grtz,

Lex

Saturday, March 25, 2006 10:26 AM
  • User-332238837 posted

>File Share Module for the Club Kit as well

Something I've been thinking of adding too

Saturday, March 25, 2006 10:34 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi guys,

Here some updates on different (ontopic) items:

1. Filesharing module - That would be nice too.

2. The chat module (chatterbox) that I was looking at has errors when you want to integrate it into CSK. It conflicts with Dataset.xsd.  When I remove all the (table-adapters you call em?) all goes well. (or when you install chatterbox as a standalone web). So I stopped for now, (beyond my grasp) 

3. Am looking at Forum ICTN. Got problems with the date (american format vs European)

I think I need to change the dateformats M-dd-yyyy into dd-MM-yyyy or something and then recompile. But Recompiling does not seem to work without errors.

Could be completetly wrong with my intended solution as well of course, though I don't think a Culture-setting does the trick. Perhaps version ASP.NET related? I hope that Angelo addressed these issues. [:D]

Some evaluation on my part, curious how you guys feel about this:

ICTN vs JitBit.

ICTN Pro: Source included + overall looks - Con: No E-mail confirmation?

JitBit Pro:  E-mail confirmation + Con: No source + Powered by label

4. Angelo, Your testmail got through, don't know if you got my confirmation about that.

Regards,

Lex

Sunday, March 26, 2006 5:50 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lexy,

You bring up some good points, albeit I feel that having the code in hand allows the flexability to modify it at will. Adding a Module for Email Confirmations will not be the end of the universe but certainly it will take time.  At present I am happy with just good enough but certainly will look to modify it even further and add Ranks and a Who Is online section among other things.

For now it is baby Steps, cannot take on too many things and dilute the effort. At present I am consumed with add the RSVP module, I have been pulling my hair out slowly figuring out how to display DB driven images straight from the DB when you have GUID's to work with as the driving keys.

It is a pain in the derriere and I will eliminate GUID's and UniqueIdentifier fields all together from my version of the kit. That is a long ways in the future of course, so for now I am cludging a First Draft solution which of course will go through many changes.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 11:01 PM
  • User1923026465 posted

Is there a reason why you want to continue with DB driven images rather than file system driven images.  It is my understanding that it is faster using file system driven images rather than DB driven images.  Not to mention you do not have to worry about DB space limits....

Monday, March 27, 2006 4:09 PM
  • User654902800 posted

Is there a reason why you want to continue with DB driven images rather than file system driven images.  It is my understanding that it is faster using file system driven images rather than DB driven images.  Not to mention you do not have to worry about DB space limits....

There are advantages to using the DB, for example if you scale to a web farm, then the images can't really be on the web server box (or you have to mess around with file shares and whatnot). The image handler in the kit is pretty simple, it could be improved to make better use of the browser cache I think - eg handling If-Modified-Since: and also setting the browser cache to not expire etc.

Also, if you've got a whole bunch of ram, you could pop the images in server-side cache, maybe just the thumbnails, to make that pretty fast and avoid a DB hit. And finally, with a bit of Atlas, that UI where you page through the images could be done with an update panel so the whole screen would not refresh, making it *feel* faster.

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 7:19 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

I was thinking of pre-loading the images and only update the panel or control that is displaying them.

Have to look into that.

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 9:27 PM
  • User549874743 posted
    Angelo,

I was just wondering if you could give us some hints / examples of how you were able to incorporate the Forum into the Club website.  I was able to do it with not much trouble using the basic free download, but would like to know how you incorporated the login information so it would not use a "Different" login for just the forum?

Also I liked how you have the threads, replys, and views along with the last post to your Check Raise website.  http://67.164.255.166:8029/Forums/forum.aspx.

Thanks,

Rogoflap
    Sunday, April 9, 2006 8:07 AM
  • User549874743 posted
    Well with a little digging around I did find out how to have a single sign on.

http://www.jitbit.com/forum/messages.aspx?TopicID=18

What they suggested was the following...

JBIT  Forum:

Yes, you can add the "single sign on" functionality.

The first IMPORTANT thing to do is - when a new user is registered on your website, you should add a record to aspnetforum''s "Users" table. Also you should tranfer the existing users to this table.

Next steps are simple. AspNetForum uses Session object to store the "current" user. There are two variables: Session["aspnetforumUserID"] (user''s ID in forum database) and Session["aspnetforumUserName"] (user''s name in forum). You can assign these variables in your website code and aspnetforum.

note: These instructions are for version 1.23.
    Sunday, April 9, 2006 11:16 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Rogo,

Actually I did not add any new user functionality, I simply verify that the user is authenticated and if so then I use the Member/User info to populate any related fields in the Forum Database.

It was a bit of work to get the Grid to Sort properly but in the end I got that little puzzle firgured out.

Thanks for the compliment on the Forum software, it was a challange at first to get the look and feel to fall in but it can be done.

You will need a new storedproc and have to change all the datasources to all the Forum Controls but with a little digging by starting with one page and then getting it to work you can get the entire forum up and running.

Sunday, April 9, 2006 10:51 PM
  • User549874743 posted
    Angelo,

I found on the JitBit website in the forumn area, they are stating you can easily have a single signon by setting two session variavbles when the user logs in.

This assumes that when they register you also fill in the forumUsers table with username and e-mail address.

I am trying this approach right now.  I have the getting the information into the forumUser table at registration time finished.  But looking into how I can set those variables when the user logs in.  Withe the "Easy" login stuff Microsoft provided it is making it much difficult to find or set this when the user logs in.

Where is the "Login Code" so I can set this when the user logs in or automatically is logged in with cookie setting?

Thanks,

Rog
    Monday, April 10, 2006 2:11 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Rog,

Actually you verify if the user is authenticated and once you have that you gather all the users info with the asp.net properties and the memberinfo dataset.

I don't have the code in front of me right now but I could post a snippet for you later tonight.

Friday, April 14, 2006 1:09 PM
  • User-332238837 posted

Hi,

Got it working, quite easy once you get it running

http://www.bromham.org.uk/NewSite/forum/forum.aspx

I've got two questions

1,   How do you make sure the dates work okay, I keep getting:

Conversion from string "04-14-2006" to type 'Date' is not valid.

2, on the postReply.aspx and startThread.aspx,

<script runat="server">

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

Dim user As MembershipUser = Membership.GetUser()
          psName.Text = user.UserName.ToString
          psEmail.Text = user.Email.ToString

End Sub

</script>

I get

No data exists for the row/column.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: No data exists for the row/column.

This is due to Protected Sub Page_Load, as if I remove it all works fine, but I don't get any prefilled date.    

Any help would be greatly received

Hi Rog,

Actually you verify if the user is authenticated and once you have that you gather all the users info with the asp.net properties and the memberinfo dataset.

I don't have the code in front of me right now but I could post a snippet for you later tonight.

Saturday, April 15, 2006 11:16 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Copper, congrats on getting the forum up and running.

I do believe the problem with the User data might be if you are not authenticated/Logged In.

Have you tried that while actually logged into the Site.

As for the Date, it is interesting but at this point I have not gotten around to trying to recreate/test that problem.

Saturday, April 15, 2006 8:25 PM
  • User-332238837 posted

Only logged on users are allowed on to the page, so yes they are users.  How did you do it on your pages?

As to the date format, this looks like the initial development was forced to using US date formats, as as such does not work with european date formats.  Looks like I'll have to go through the code and change all the date formats to work with all countries....  :->

Sunday, April 16, 2006 5:12 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

This is how I check to make sure I will allow the user to perform some actions on the Forums Pages.

If Not Page.User.Identity.IsAuthenticated Then
         messageCenter.InnerHtml = "<strong>In order to post a Message in the Forums you must be logged in and    authenticated.</strong><br><ul><a class=""menuitem"" href=""login.aspx"">Please Login to Use the Forums</a></ul>"
        submitter.Visible = "False"
       canceller.Visible = "False"
       psName.Visible = "False"
       psEmail.Visible = "False"
       psSubject.Visible = "False"
       psPost.Visible = "False"
    Else
       getUserInfo()
    End If

Sub getUserInfo()
    Dim user As MembershipUser
    ' Get the currently logged-on user and
    ' update the user's online timestamp
    user = Membership.GetUser(True)
    psName.Text = user.UserName
    psEmail.Text = user.Email
    End Sub

Hope this helps.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 10:47 AM
  • User-332238837 posted

Yes, it's more or less the same as mine, however I use the web.config to make sure the user is logged in

<location path="postReply.aspx">
       <
    system.web>
          <
    authorization>
             <allow roles="Members"/>
             <
    deny users="*"/>
          </
    authorization>
       </
    system.web>
    </
    location>

<location path="startThread.aspx">
       <system.web>
          <
    authorization>
             <
    allow roles="Members"/>
             <
    deny users="*"/>
          </
    authorization>
       </
    system.web>
    </location>

Pros and cons for each way, I just like minimal coding  :-)

I'm going to try and resolve the date issue, I'll post the results on this forum.

Thanks for your help

<<<Bryan>>><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Sunday, April 16, 2006 12:56 PM
  • User-332238837 posted

Now got a fully working Forum running on my site  :-)

Basic but working

http://www.bromham.org.uk/NewSite/forum/forum.aspx

I'm going to work on sorting out the code and giving it a good QA before releasing it for others to use.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 7:08 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Great job on getting the forum up and running Bryan, excellent to see that others can also get this thing going.

I am adding a few extra features to the forum but all in all it does what I need it to do.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 8:49 PM
  • User1556287510 posted

Just some thoughts or experience I wanted to share.  I  just spent some time over the weekend trying to hook my club site starter kit to a community starter kit forum (modified to look a part of my club).   I think my needs were much simpler than anyone here.  I just need a single forum where my family/friends could post on various topics.  I'm not going to get into creating the user in two different tables, but what I did to link the two together was have a forum link (controlled by the authentication of the club site) redirect to the community starter kit.  Part of the redirection required that I set two cookies (perhaps one but I haven't really tested).  I used the FormsAuthentication to set the user (which I passed in my redirect) and then another to set the Roles (you could do a database lookup before doing this).

Of course I did this because I thought I read that GoDaddy offered a Community Starter Kit and only come to find out later I misread that it offered the Community Server.  So I'm thinking now that it might be a better idea to start from scratch/or some other source code than trying to meld two programs.

I'll have to check out JitBit and ICTN.  I was thinking of just taking what I needed out of the Community Starter Kit...

Anyways, just wanted to say you guys are doing some good work.  Good Job and a pat on the back from me.

J

Monday, April 17, 2006 6:07 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Guys,

I'm baaack,

Been occupied with some other stuff, but doing my best to find some time.

Good to see that you guys are still at it. Thought I would give it a go and tried to install ICTN with the sql-server option.

But now I find that I have no knowledge at all about how to generate the SQL-DB.

I see there is this file install 1.2.sql and when I run it it says all is fine, but where is the database?

Thanks,

Lex

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 7:28 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lex,

It will go in whichever db you ran the script in.

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[forumThreads] (
     [psId] [int] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
     [psRelTopId] [int] NULL ,
     [psName] [varchar] (255) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,
     [psEmail] [varchar] (255) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,
     [psSubject] [varchar] (255) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,
     [psPost] [text] COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,
     [psDate] [datetime] NULL ,
     [psRelBcId] [int] NULL ,
     [psLastUpdate] [datetime] NULL ,
     [psIP] [varchar] (20) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL, 
     [psViews] [int] NULL
    ) ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]
    GO

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[forumTopics] (
     [bcId] [int] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL ,
     [bcTitle] [varchar] (255) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,
     [bcDesc] [text] COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL ,
     [bcOrder] [int] NULL ,
     [bcLastUpdate] [datetime] NULL,
     [bcLock] [char] (1) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NULL
    ) ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]
    GO

basically look for Tables forumThreads and forumTopics in your database.

If they are there then you have completed step 1 and can begin the dance.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 8:03 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Angelo,

How are things?

Well I guess that is a part of my lack of understanding.

This is what I did:

I unzipped ICTN to a folder called ICTN. I started a new website in Visual Studio. Pointed to this folder . At that point there is no SQL-Database in that folder.

I ran the install file and found that it put the tables somewhere in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server.

When I use SQL server management Studio Express I see its in System databases\Master

So based on your response I guess my question is:

Did I miss a step and needed to make an empty database somehow in the ICTN folder first?

Or do I copy that master database to the ICTN folder?

Or perhaps I don't use the proper install method with that file. What I did is simply doubleclick it in the Solution Explorer and ran to cursor.

Lex

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 9:37 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi

Think I got it,

Started Management Studio, Opened the install  file and this time I pointed to the database I first created with Add new item in Visual Studio.

Is this the correct way?

Lex

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:09 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lexy,

There is no absolute correct way to do it, in the end most people tend to have 1 Database.

Open your database explorer and connect to the Database you are using for the rest of the CSK, say for sake of example you have a DB the instance is called mycskdb.

Well in your mycskdb you will execute the script, this will simply add the forum tables to the already existing database.

Then you should see the forum tables listed along with the rest of the CSK tables.

I don't have the DB in available to me here from work, so that is why I can't be more explicit with the reply.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:18 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Ok, well I think I'm ok then.

This was not an issue because I made a new web, but I think I better integrate it right from the start

So I added the tables to ASPNETDB.MDF

This brings me to my next problem of course:<o:p></o:p>

What do I do with that Web.config, can I integrate it with the existing web.config?

<configuration>

<system.web>

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

<compilation debug="false"/>

<pages validateRequest="false" />

<identity impersonate="false"/>

</system.web>

<appSettings>

<add key="forumDSN" value="Provider=SQLOLEDB;server=localhost;uid=DB_USERNAME;pwd=DB_PASSWORD;database=dotForum2004" />

<add key="popularThreshold" value="5" />

</appSettings>

</configuration>

Can Anybody post the correct connection string (example) or give me a clue what I need to change?<o:p></o:p>

For now I get:

The ConnectionString property has not been initialized.

Thanks,<o:p></o:p>

Lex

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 12:34 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Lex,

The connection string should be almost the same as the Clubsite one, since you created the tables in the same db as your clubsite kit.

So basicaly try changing :

server=localhost;uid=DB_USERNAME;pwd=DB_PASSWORD;database=dotForum2004"

to the same values as are in the clubsitedb connection string.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 1:43 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi,

What direction should i take?

Add key in App setttings?

<add key="forumDSN" value="Provider=SQLOLEDB;server=localhost;uid=DB_USERNAME;pwd=DB_PASSWORD;database=ASPNETDB.MDF;" />

Or do I need a connection string like:

<add name="forumDSN" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\ASPNETDB.MDF;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

Tried both, but nada

Lex

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 3:27 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Lex,

I will get you the exact connection string as soon as I get home, probably in about 3 hours or so I will post the web config for you.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 5:08 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

<appSettings>

<add key="forumDSN" value="Provider=SQLOLEDB;Server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;Database=mydb;Network=DBMSSOCN;Address=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;UID=myuser;PWD=mypwd;"/>

<add key="imageDSN" value="Provider=SQLOLEDB;Server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;Database=mydb;Network=DBMSSOCN;Address=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433;UID=myuser;PWD=mypwd;"/>

</appSettings>

Try adding that to your web.config file.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 7:25 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Angelo,

Server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;Database=mydb;Network=DBMSSOCN;Address=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;UID=myuser;PWD=mypwd;"/>

Sorry, but I don't understand what this stands for: Server=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --- Ip number?

I haven't got a clue as to what to fill in at the different places (for instance Network=DBMSSOCN)

The Jitbit forum database (Access) has the following key (did not succeed in changing it to relative path yet)

<add key="ForumConnection" value="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\webs\ClubWebSite42\forum\db\forum.mdb;Jet OLEDB:Database Password=DB_PASSWORD;" />

The ASPNETDB and CLUB MDF go via connectionstring, I suppose this can't be used for ICTN?

Sorry again for my lack of understanding, Its just that I would really like to get that ICTN forum in the air.

Lex

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:58 AM
  • User-332238837 posted

If you need help with your connection strings take a look at

http://www.connectionstrings.com/

Always sorts me out when I'm stuck

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 4:24 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lex,

Yes the xxx.xxx.xxx represents the IP address of the server.

The second line has the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,1433

The 1433 represents the Port number, this is the standard port as far as I understand.

Network=DBMSSOCN is a directive that sets the communications to TCP/IP based network.

I had to do a little RTFM'ng and googling to get beyond the hurdles.  But I am certainly willing to help you get it up and running.

If anything I could share my web.config file with you, but in the end the part that is cricitical is the one I posted.

You can email me if you like.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 6:37 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Thanks guys, for your patience..

I think I'm a step closer:

This is my connection ike it is now:

<add key="ForumDSN" value="Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=.\SQLExpress;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\ASPNETDB.MDF;Trusted_Connection=Yes;" />

I get:

Conversion from string "04-20-2006" to type 'Date' is not valid

Doesn't this mean that when I click on forum on the page Index.aspx that it tries to gain access to the table?

But then of course how do i deal with this new problem?

Regards,

Lex

Thursday, April 20, 2006 5:46 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Update on Previous post:

The problem there was when I opened only the file Index.aspx.

When I start the Club Kit I get this on the Connection,

Cannot open user default database. Login failed.
    Login failed for user 'P4-3000\Lex'.

So obviously there is still a problem with it.

Lex

Thursday, April 20, 2006 6:37 AM
  • User-106057480 posted

Hi Guys and ladies

I seem to have lost the grip with this thread.  What forum software have you been working on becuase i need a forum for my personal starter kit that has single or can be configured for single sign in.

Cheers

Thursday, April 20, 2006 9:34 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi,

It mostly concerns ICTN,  http://forum.itcn.com/

Also some are looking in to the Jitbit forum  http://jitbit.com/

I do believe some succeeded in managing a single login already.

Lex

Thursday, April 20, 2006 9:46 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lex,

Are you able to log into your CSK at all?  I am not certain that you are having an issue with the Connection String for the Forum Tables as opposed to the actual Kit itself.

Which one is giving you the errors?

Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:22 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

I have been working on the ITCN forum, bear in mind that I am working with the older and unsopported freeware edition.  ITCN has some newer versions that they charge a fee for.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:23 AM
  • User-106057480 posted
    can anyone give me a copy of ITCN forum the website is now asking for a payment.  i dont mind paying but i need to see if i can intergrate it first
    Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:26 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Here is the download link for the Freeware/Older Unsopported Edition.

http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/itcnforum.asp

I integrated this version into my club starter kit, not without some trial and tribulation I might add.

It is there on the ITCN site as well but it is a small small small link on the page, basically you have to read the entire page and then low and behold the link becomes obvious.

I know lex is trying hard to get this up and running but he is going through the first hurdles, as you all probably know anything to do with IT is first 98% Blasphomy and Indignation that things don't work right away and then 2% Bliss .. Omg was it really that obvious or that simple !

I will help whomever I can that shows an inclination to do a little digging, if someone else wants the easy and ok let him do the work for me path.. well email me and we shall see.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 11:25 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi,

No logging in onto the Club Kit is working ok.

My latest try:

<add key="forumDSN" value="Provider=SQLOLEDB;server=localhost;uid=DB_USERNAME;pwd=DB_PASSWORD;database=ASPNETDB.MDF" />

resulted in this:

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]De SQL-server bestaat niet of de toegang tot de server is geweigerd.

De SQL-server bestaat niet of de toegang tot de server is geweigerd Means: SQL-server does not exist or connection refused

I am using SQL-EXPRESS and VS and in this stadium its all testing on a local computer.

I am assuming I can use Localhost in the key

What I don't get is that reaching ASPNETDB.mdf for the Clubkit works fine.

Lex

Thursday, April 20, 2006 12:18 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Lex,

If connecting to your clubsite database is working fine this should work as well.

If anything, make certain you have the tables added to the same database as the clubsite and then

make a new page that has nothing in it except a datalist or repeater or at the very least a connection to the database. Once you have that connection working and you can pull data from the forums table you can then adapt all the Forum pages to use this new connection.

Step with the first Step... make certain you have the Forum tables in the same database as the kit

Connect to that DB and pull data from the Forum Tables.

Once you cross this hurdle, alot of things will fall into place and then you can tackle OPPORTUNITY #2 and #3 and so on and so forth....

If need be you can email me and we can work on getting a working connection to the database.

Friday, April 21, 2006 4:56 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi,

Tried a different approach. Put a seperate Database called dotForum2004.mdf in App_Data

Now I dont't get any errors concerning the connection (However by no means i am really sure that the problem is solved)

But the error i get now is Conversion from string "04-23-2006" to type 'Date' is not valid.

I believe Bryan had a similar problem with the dates.

Changing the code in the files in the src folder from  MM-d-yyyy  into  d-MM-yyyy  does not solve my problem.

Lex

Sunday, April 23, 2006 9:44 AM
  • User-332238837 posted

Yes I did have this problem.

The way I got over it was to change all the date fields, to either longdate or shortdate

Dim currentDate As Date = Formatdatetime(DateTime.Now, DateFormat.LongDate )

There are quite a lot to change.

This should solve your problem.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 10:32 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

What kills me is that I did not encounter any of these hurdles, so it is a bit awkward to me.

I dont have any sql files in my app_data directory under the Project.

This really throws me for a loop, albeit when you are not in front of the machine it is harder

to really see the full picture.

Lex, as long as it works !  It's all good.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 10:44 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi guys,

I really appreciate you helping me out. I fully understand that there are so many variables when it comes to help find a solution for someone/-thing. Conception, communication, settings for computer, equipment, software, need I go on?

The good thing is, the Connectionproblem seems solved. To solve the Dateproblem, first I simply changed my regional settings to US.    Bingo!, so the date problem needs to be solved now.

(Thanks Bryan, for your response.

Dim currentDate As Date = Microsoft.VisualBasic.Format(DateTime.Now, "MM-d-yyyy")  ----- into ----

I found only two of these, how do I change the rest of the instances?  simply from from MM-d-yyyy into d-MM-yyyy? )

So from this result can I get back to asking ask my usual newbie questions, because of course now I'm sure I will encounter lots of small thing.

For one when I click on Administration to add a Thread I see a Directory  listing instead of the page.

Regards,

Lex

Sunday, April 23, 2006 11:02 AM
  • User-332238837 posted

No no no no, don't change to d-MM-yyyy

This will cause you troubles for anyone outside of the UK visiting your website

Use Formatdatetime(DateTime.Now, DateFormat.LongDate )

Sunday, April 23, 2006 11:48 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lex,

Welcome to the next level, now we can start hitting all the different config and coding issues.

As long as you have a working connection and your forum acutally comes up we can proceed.

Please provide the url, let's see what the page looks like.

Make sure you turn off Directory Browsing in IIS as well.

Here is what my threads page looks like.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 11:48 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi guys,

Ok, got your point on the dates Bryan.

I am going to tidy things up thoroughly (old jitbit forum has to go) and figure out all sorts of little problems. So it may take a while with my limited knowledge. But I'll give a url as soon as I can.

Not completely impossible I would like to call for more help in the process.

In the meantime, you guys are awesome.

Lex

Sunday, April 23, 2006 1:51 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Well it did not take me long, did it?

Date conversion keeps bugging me, tried to do what bryan suggested but problem stays:

I suppose I have to put some nuance into the suggested solution:

Use Formatdatetime(DateTime.Now, DateFormat.LongDate)

As I feel that it's not appropriate in its original form in all instances, or is it? Am I right that the error below concerns the following code? (Forum.aspx.vb) :

Dim thisDate As Date

Dim currentDate As Date = Microsoft.VisualBasic.Format(DateTime.Now, DateFormat.LongDate)

|---

thisDate = CType(gridrow.FindControl("bcLastUpdate"), HtmlInputHidden).Value

If Microsoft.VisualBasic.Format(thisDate, FormatDateTime(DateTime.Now, DateFormat.LongDate)) = currentDate Then

Bryan, since your from this side of the ocean, could you please mail or post me some examples, as how you implemented this date-solution?

Conversion from string "04-23-2006" to type 'Date' is not valid.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from string "04-23-2006" to type 'Date' is not valid.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[InvalidCastException: Conversion from string "04-23-2006" to type 'Date' is not valid.]
       Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DateType.FromString(String Value, CultureInfo culture) +216
       Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DateType.FromString(String Value) +39
       dotForumClientTopic.viewAllRecords.bindData() +255
       dotForumClientTopic.viewAllRecords.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +32
       System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +13
       System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +45
       System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +80
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +49
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3744

Thanks,

Lex

Sunday, April 23, 2006 3:30 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Lex,  the power of google and cached Pages.

Barry
    11-30-2004 02:14 PM
    RE: Date Issues
    Fixed in the new version.
    Daniel
    11-29-2004 11:38 PM
    topicview.aspx also required mods
    line 133
    Dim currentDate As Date = Microsoft.VisualBasic.Format(DateTime.Now, "MM-d-yyyy")

changed to

Dim currentDate As Date = DateTime.Now.Date

line 145

from
    If Microsoft.VisualBasic.Format(thisDate, "MM-d-yyyy") = currentDate Then

to

If thisDate.Date.Equals(currentDate) Then
    Min
    06-6-2004 04:34 AM
    That's great trouble shooting!
    Barry
    05-25-2004 02:26 AM
    Glad to be of help!
    TCM
    05-20-2004 10:23 PM
    Thanks so much Barry. It worked perfectly!!

Forever learning!!

TCM
    Barry
    05-19-2004 08:27 AM
    TCM;
    It looks like you never made any changes at all if it couldn't find the compiler! To see if your changes actually worked, and the compiler worked, look at the date/times on the DLLs in your /bin/ folder.

The Visual Basic Compiler is not in your path. If it's located here:
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\vbc.exe

Then just edit compile_all.bat and change "vbc" to "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\vbc.exe"

OR

modify your path and put that directory in it.
    TCM
    05-18-2004 09:02 PM
    Thanks Barry,

I have started fresh with the code downloaded and again made the changes. I am still receiving the same error!!

When I update the code I open the file src\forum.aspx.vb and make the change in WebMatrix. I then save the file and double click the compile_all.bat file. How do I know if this has run correctly??

When I run the compile_all.bat from a command promt to see the output I get a 'vbc' not recognised as an external command.... error. Is this because I am running it from a command prompt??

Thanks again, and to confirm trying to change date format to dd-mm-yyyy.

TCM
    Barry
    05-18-2004 11:35 AM
    TCM;
    You error lies somewhere else. I changed those 2 lines in forum.aspx.vb and recompiled and got no error (i didn't bother changing the admin side because I just want to see the error on the client side). What other changes did u make?
    TCM
    05-17-2004 08:33 PM
    Hi Barry,

Any thoughts on this yet??

Can't wait to go live!!

Thanks again,

TCM
    TCM
    05-16-2004 01:23 PM
    Hi Barry,

Thanks for your reply. I have made the following changes to the files listed. Then I double clicked the .bat files to recompile the code.

Line 49 of forum.aspx.vb:
    Replaced:

Dim currentDate As Date = Microsoft.VisualBasic.Format(DateTime.Now, "MM-d-yyyy")

With:

Dim currentDate As Date = DateTime.Now.Date

Line 61, replaced line with:

If thisDate.Date.Equals(currentDate) Then

Line 53 of admin/src/topicAdd.aspx.vb, changed the bit that said "Now" to:

Now.ToString("dd MMM yyyy") & " " & Now.ToLongTimeString

Hopefully this helps.

I also just want to say thanks for a great product. It is everything I have been looking for!!

TCM

read through this and see if it can point you in the right direction.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 7:32 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Thanks Angelo,

It indeed does point me in a direction, not sure it's the right one yet though. ;-)

Compiling, I guess I need to do that too, don't  I?

Followed your way with Google, but feel a bit flooded. Also looked for a file like vbc.exe

But I guess that's from the previous framework. Can't find any menu-option either.

Did run the compile.bat, seems to do something, but the dates from the dll's in the Bin directory don't change, indicating that something has been compiled.

Lex

Monday, April 24, 2006 9:57 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Found vbc.exe

Sorry.

Compiling....

Lex

Monday, April 24, 2006 11:02 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Way to go Lex,

You are now engaging in the well known art of RTFM.

I have been known to spend hours RTFM'ng.  :)

Keep up the good work, soon enough you will have a baseline forum that is up and running.

Monday, April 24, 2006 11:05 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

At last it seems I’m getting somewhere (pfew)<o:p></o:p>

I sometimes even see something that looks like a forum :-)

I can add Topics, but with a thread I still get an error.

<o:p> </o:p>

So still  a few problems (minor I hope) with the date: <o:p></o:p>

I can’t solve this one:<o:p></o:p>

<%#Format(DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "bcLastUpdate"), "MM-d-yyyy hh:mm tt")%><o:p></o:p>

The advice I got was : <o:p></o:p>

Formatdatetime(DateTime.Now, DateFormat.LongDate )<o:p></o:p>

And<o:p></o:p>

change to Dim currentDate As Date = DateTime.Now.Date<o:p></o:p>

Anyone ideas how to apply in this case?<o:p></o:p>

Lex<o:p></o:p>

Monday, April 24, 2006 1:47 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Lex,

check out this page for tons of info on the date.

http://www.411asp.net/home/tutorial/howto/datetime

Dim currentDate As DateTime = DateTime.Now

What is the error you are getting?  I suppose it is due to localization or European Date Formating.

Monday, April 24, 2006 2:15 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Angelo,

Tried to look up on the link, but this is too much, I mean the info is so diverse that for my current knowledge it is too overwhelming. Its hard to know what applies to my situation.

When I try to add a New Topic I get

An Exception error has occurred on this page:

System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: The statement has been terminated. The conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range datetime value. at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior behavior, String method) at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at dotForumStartThread.addThread.submitter_update(Object sender, CommandEventArgs e)

Record NOT Inserted

Please go back and try again or return to the main page to view all Topics.

Lex

Monday, April 24, 2006 2:34 PM
  • User1275632693 posted
     I did a little google on the error message and the first page that came up:

SYMPTOM

I get the following error message when the chart is run.

ErrorMessage: SetData: The conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range datetime value.

CAUSE

This is caused by the date format returned by the database not using the same culture formatting as the website.

SOLUTION

To solve this problem, the correct database culture must be specified.

[C#]

Chart.DatabaseCultureName = "en-GB";
    // Or is using the DataEngine
    myDataEngine.DatabaseCultureName = "en-GB";

[Visual Basic]

Chart.DatabaseCultureName = "en-GB"
    ' Or is using the DataEngine
    myDataEngine.DatabaseCultureName = "en-GB"

Now I will see what else is out there

Here is another good page:

Survey Software -- Ultimate Survey Enterprise .NET for web surveys, feedback forms, online data collectionWhen using SQL server, the following error is displayed:

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The conversion of a char data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range datetime value.

This is due to an inconsistency in the language settings between the web server and SQL server (or SQL server user). By default, SQL Server users are set to "us_english" as the default language. The result is that different date formats are being used and are therefore not recognized by the database.

There are several options to remedy this situation:

1. Change the SQL user's default language to match the language settings on the SQL server.
    To do this, open SQL enterprise manager and connect to your database server. Expand Security -> Logins and open the properties dialog for the user that you are using to connect to the database. On the main properties page, change the language to equal the same language that is set on your web server.

2. Modify your connection string
    On your SQL connection string, add a parameter of Language= and set it equal to the correct language. For example, Language=British.

Monday, April 24, 2006 2:39 PM
  • User654902800 posted

Hey lex, can you tell me where in the ictn code it blows up? What line of code in what file? Or it in some code you wrote that's not part of the ictn code?

Any time you try to convert a date-time string into a database datetime you're looking for trouble if the string is defined by the system locale or something like that, and there's ways around it that are very tidy and locale agnostic.

Monday, April 24, 2006 4:04 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Mr. Lunch and Angelo,

Angelo, the language additon in the connection string solved the problem with adding a thread, (Thanks again, I'm in your debt.)

To be honest I am not sure where I am. First and foremost with the help of you guys I would like to have a basic forum and I hope to gather some knowledge in the process. But there are so many ways to approach things (and not always they apply to my problem) that I find it difficult to learn.

About the ICTN Forum:

With the help of Angelo and Bryan I am getting there slowly but surely.

The main problem at the moment is the conversion from Dates to European (mainland I guess... Dutch anyway)

I'll give some examples:

In threadview (and at some other places)  I don't know how to change the following:

<%# Format(DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "psDate"), "MM-d-yyyy hh:mm tt") %>

At some places I changed

into Dim currentDate As Date = DateTime.Now.Date<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>

Its almost going fine except I still see a MM-d-yyyy date in Topics, which is logical  I guess (see above)

When I click on a topic to see a thread in the column Last Reply I see a dateformat like 34aan24aA.D. 24 april 2006. So there something is not completely right (understatement...)

Reply and Replyedit don't work. I know I made a mistake here with the Format, but can't get it right.

Input string was not in a correct format.

Exception Details: System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

Source Error:

Line 115:	<%--	  Formatdatetime(DateTime.Now, DateFormat.LongDate )--%>
    Line 116:
    Line 117:			<font class="lastPostText"><%#FormatDateTime(DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "psLastUpdate"), FormatDateTime(DateTime.Now, DateFormat.LongDate))%></font><br>
    Line 118:			<%# myIncludes.getLastPosterByThread(DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "psId"), "admin") %>	
    Line 119:		</ItemTemplate>

These are my main problems.

Hope I make sense

Lex

Monday, April 24, 2006 4:40 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi All,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Ok so, now I finally managed to get the Forum to a state that I wanted to put it online.<o:p></o:p>

Now I get an error from the remote server (a webserver at my jobsite)<o:p></o:p>

When I click on the link The Forum (from the forum Index.aspx page) I get the standard Clubsite error.<o:p></o:p>

Obviously the connection worked in the testsetting at home, but getting it online it needs some adjusting.<o:p></o:p>

Again I would like to call on you guys to help me out here. <o:p></o:p>

This is how I got it working at home.<o:p></o:p>

Using SQL, I Did not succeed in merging it with ASPNETDB.mdf . What finally did work was  creating a separate database in App_data, called it dotForum2004.mdf<o:p></o:p>

In the web.config I added:<o:p></o:p>

<add key="forumDSN" value="Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=P4‑3000\SQLExpress;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|dotForum2004.mdf;Database=dbname;Trusted_Connection=Yes;Language=Dutch"/><o:p></o:p>

Before copying the website to the remote site I changed Server to the computername of the remote computer.<o:p></o:p>

Settings seem to be alright on the remote PC. <o:p></o:p>

I can still Log onto the Clubsite so ASPNETDB.mdf and CLUB.mdf can be reached.<o:p></o:p>

Back to square one. :-(<o:p></o:p>

Lex<o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 8:47 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lex,

I checked my connection setting for when I posted it to a remote server and the main difference is the Provider.

I have it set to

Provider=SQLOLEDB

I am still not understanding why you have seperate mdf files as opposed to having all the tables in one place.

did you run the aspnetreg on your box at home against the DB you were trying to use?

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:04 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Angelo,

Well having separate databases is more or less the result of trial and error. It was the only way I could get a connection from the forum to the data.

could you elaborate a little bit about aspnetreg? What exactly is it and how di I do that?

I am thinking about first trying to put the forum tables into ASPNETDB and try and get that working first before getting myself into details about the forum itself.

Thankx,

Lex 

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:35 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Lex,

Instead of me trying to explain, followed by a series of questions/replies.

Read this thread:

http://forums.asp.net/thread/1249632.aspx

It explains in detail and also has a blog link that shows step by step.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 10:06 AM
  • User-1300991856 posted

Umm... Is it just me, or You really can't post messages in this forum with Firefox? Weird...

Anyway, I was following this thread as we need a .net 2.0 forum for some of our projects. This ITCN thingie ported to 2.0 looked promissing, especially after browsing Angelos site.

Few days ago I've downloaded the whole thing and looked at the code... And then I tought, damn, this is written in VB.net... :(

So I've decided to write my own version in C#, loosely based on this one. I've changed some table details in a database and there will be some more settings available for topics and threads, but otherwise it'll be pretty similar in functionality. I was thinking of separating posts in it's own table, but I'll build it as it is for now, with two tables only, and see if it gets sluggish under heavy load...
    Oh, yeah... All database stuff is moving to stored procedures, I don't like when it's mixed with rest of the code.

If anyone is interested in looking at the code later, I'll keep You posted on progress. It'll be written as a bunch of controls that You can call in your own pages.

Thanks for the effort guys, it's nice to see people that share this much knowlege...

Damir

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:50 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Damir,

It is nice to see that others appreciate it as well and of course expanding and improving is the name of the game.

Heck when you really think of it I could have simply paid the 40$ to download the most recent version but then what would I have learned/accomplished.

I picked VB.net for now as it is the path of least resistance and for now it is truly in its infancy.

Switching to C# seems like a logical path but alot of the folks here are more comfortable using VB.net.

I am working to expand it a little prior to changing it all to code behind and C# but for now it is in Vb.net or at least my version of it.

Keep us posted on your progress as well.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 12:41 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Well time to add some more to the base forum, I am looking at adding a small forum statistics section.

Will have to find out how to work the Who is Online portion, I suppose it is a matter of tracking sessions or something along those lines.

Friday, April 28, 2006 3:32 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Angelo,

Very nice.

Currently I am in the process of catching up with the previous functionality though. Still some Dateformat problems among other things.

What did you do about all the warnings and error messages (design-time) concerning .Net 1.1?

Just logged in your forum to check how you did it with the user information. Exactly how I hoped it would be (filled in). That is something I will have to try too.

I'll be in touch.

Lex

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 7:35 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Lex,

In the Web Config file I turned

<compilation debug="true" strict="false">
    <trace enabled="true" />
    <
    roleManager enabled="true"/>
    <
    authentication mode="Forms"/>
    <compilation debug="true" strict="false">
    <
    assemblies>
    <
    add assembly="System.Xml, Version=2.0.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
    <
    add assembly="System.Messaging, Version=2.0.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
    <
    add assembly="System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
    </
    assemblies>
    </compilation>

That should take care of the 1.1 casting errors.

I will post the other change tonight, it is a bit complicated to write from memory.

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 9:35 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Angelo,

Thanks,

besides that I will also try to remove all the old stuff  (to learn from it)

I am trying to follow in your steps. Users may only post when they are logged in.

It works on my testing machine but not on the server. I feel it might have something to do with Postback.

In startThread.aspx.vb I added the following code. Am I on the right track here and overseeing something or should I go about it in an entirely dfferent way?

Sub Page_Load(sender as Object, e as EventArgs)

If Not Page.IsPostBack Then

Response.Redirect("topicViewNA.aspx?id=0")

End If

End If

etc.

Lex 

Thursday, May 4, 2006 3:24 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Angelo,

Please ignore my last post. It seems to work now. (forgot to upload BIN folder [:$], would you believe it?)

http://80.126.181.96/web30/Forum/Forum.aspx  (in case you would want to see my littles steps forward)

Still would like to know how you did this though. Particularly how to get Name and E-mail-address in the textboxes of a post.

Almost there then aren't we?

What functionality is still missing in your opinion?

Statistics (regarding your recent post) , Email notifications(?),  .......? 

Kind regards,

Lex

Thursday, May 4, 2006 5:37 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lex,

You are on the right track and for auto filling the fields, simply use the membership provider.

Here is the script part of the postreply.aspx page:

<code>

<script runat="server">
    Public myIncludes As New includeFunctions
    Public pageTitle As String = " .: Check Raise Inc. Forums :.: Post Reply "
    Public pageDesc As String = "Check Raise Inc. Forums "
    Public pageKeys As String = ".net, asp.net, asp, visual basic, microsoft, CHECK RAISE, programming, server, clr, net, discussion, forum, discussion board, free, source code, open source"
    Public thisThreadId As Integer
    Public thisTopicId As Integer
    Public isloggedin As Boolean

Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)

messageCenter.InnerHtml = "<strong>In order to post a Message in the Forums you must be logged in and authenticated.</strong><br><ul><a class=""menuitem"" href=""login.aspx"">Please Login to Use the Forums</a></ul>"
    submitter.Visible = "False"
    canceller.Visible = "False"
    psName.Visible = "False"
    psEmail.Visible = "False"
    psSubject.Visible = "False"
    psPost.Visible = "False"
    Else
    getUserInfo()
    End If

Try
    thisThreadId = Request.QueryString("id")
    Catch ex As Exception When 1 = 1
    Response.Redirect(
    "forums.aspx")
    End Try

If thisThreadId < 1 Then
    Response.Redirect("topicView.aspx?id=0")
    End If

bindTopicList()
    bindlockStatus()

If Not Page.IsPostBack Then
    submitter.CommandArgument = thisThreadId
    BindData()
    End If

End Sub

Sub getUserInfo()

Dim user As MembershipUser

' Get the currently logged-on user and

' update the user's online timestamp

user = Membership.GetUser(True)

End Sub

Sub bindTopicList()

Dim myConnStr As String = ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("forumDSN")

Dim myConnection As New OleDbConnection(myConnStr)

Dim myCommand As New OleDbCommand

'### GET TOP-LEVEL THREAD NAME

myCommand.Connection = myConnection

myCommand.CommandText = "SELECT LEFT(psSubject, 80) As psSubject, psRelBcId FROM forumThreads WHERE psId = " & thisThreadId

myConnection.Open()

Dim myReader As OleDbDataReader

myReader = myCommand.ExecuteReader()

myReader.Read()

thisTopicId = myReader("psRelBcId")

TopicLink.NavigateUrl = "topicView.aspx?id=" & thisTopicId

TopicLink.Text = myIncludes.getTopicName(thisTopicId)

ThreadLink.NavigateUrl = "threadView.aspx?id=" & thisThreadId

ThreadLink.Text = myReader("psSubject")

myReader.Close()

myConnection.Close()

End Sub

Sub bindlockStatus()

Dim myConnStr As String = ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("forumDSN")

Dim myConnection As New OleDbConnection(myConnStr)

'### GET LOCK STATUS AND DISABLE NEW THREAD LINK

myCommand.CommandText = "SELECT bcLock FROM forumTopics, forumThreads WHERE bcId = psRelBcId And psId = " & thisThreadId

myConnection.Open()

Dim bcLock As String = myCommand.ExecuteScalar()

myConnection.Close()

If bcLock = "y" Or bcLock = "" Then

Response.Redirect("forum.aspx")

End If

End Sub

Sub BindData()

'### ONLY NEED TOP LEVEL SUBJECT TO PREPEND WITH "RE: "

psSubject.Text = "RE: " & myIncludes.getThreadSubject(thisThreadId)

End Sub

Sub submitter_update(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.CommandEventArgs)

Try

If Page.IsValid Then

Dim lastUpdate As Date = DateTime.Now()

Dim myConnection As New OleDbConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("forumDSN"))

myConnection.Open()

myCommand.CommandText = "INSERT INTO forumThreads (psRelTopId, psName, psEmail, psSubject, psPost, psDate, psRelBcId, psLastUpdate, psIP, psViews) VALUES(" & thisThreadId & ", '" & myIncludes.RemoveHTMLQuote(psName.Text) & "', '" & myIncludes.RemoveHTMLQuote(psEmail.Text) & "', '" & myIncludes.RemoveHTMLQuote(psSubject.Text) & "', '" & myIncludes.RemoveHTMLQuote(psPost.Text) & "', '" & lastUpdate & "', " & thisTopicId & ", '" & lastUpdate & "', '" & Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_HOST") & "', 0)"

myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()

'### UPDATE LAST DATE IN TOPIC

myCommand.CommandText = "UPDATE forumTopics SET bcLastUpdate = '" & lastUpdate & "' WHERE bcId = " & thisTopicId

'### UPDATE LAST DATE IN THREAD PARENT

myCommand.CommandText = "UPDATE forumThreads SET psLastUpdate = '" & lastUpdate & "' WHERE psId = " & thisThreadId

myConnection.Close()

Response.Redirect("threadView.aspx?id=" & thisThreadId)

End If

Response.Clear()

Response.Write("<html><head><title>Sorry, an Error has occured</title>" & _

"<link rel=""stylesheet"" type=""text/css"" href=""client.css"" /></head><body bgcolor=""#ffffff"">" & _

"<p><font class=""error"">An Exception error has occurred on this page:<p>" & _

"<p>" & ex.ToString() & "<p><b>Record NOT Inserted</b>" & _

"<p>Please go back and <a class=""pageLink"" href=""javascript:history.back();"">try again</a> or " & _

"return to the main page to <a class=""pageLink"" href=""forum.aspx"">view all Topics</a>.</font>" & _

"</body></html>")

Server.ClearError()

Response.End()

End Try

End Sub

Sub canceller_update(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.CommandEventArgs)

Response.Redirect("threadView.aspx?id=" & thisThreadId)

End Sub

Sub Page_Error(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)

Response.Clear()

Response.Write("<html><head><title>Sorry, an Error has occured</title>" & _

"<link rel=""stylesheet"" type=""text/css"" href=""client.css"" /></head><body bgcolor=""#ffffff"">" & _

"<p>" & Server.GetLastError().ToString() & _

"<p>Please go back and <a class=""pageLink"" href=""javascript:history.back();"">try again</a> or " & _

"return to the main page to <a class=""pageLink"" href=""forum.aspx"">view all Topics</a>.</font>" & _

"</body></html>")

Server.ClearError()

Response.End()

End Sub

</script>

</code>

When I sent you the .ZIP file the code was already all there, but keep up the good work.

Next steps--->  Sticky Posts, Forum Stats and Moderator Roles.

Thursday, May 4, 2006 7:35 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Angelo,

Thanks,

It appears you don't use code behind with the Forum. I felt a bit discouraged to change all my pages, so remembering what you said about if it works the problem is solved (or something similar) I attached the userinfo to the following:

---------------------

Protected Sub submitter_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

Dim user As MembershipUser = Membership.GetUser()

End Sub

---------------------

This sort of concludes the opening stage of a usable forum. (that is if you don't shoot instantly at the solution above) I would like to thank you for all your help (and that was a lot)

With the Todo-list I guess there is not much I can contribute in terms of building something from scratch. On the other hand I could do some research on the Web. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Lex

Thursday, May 4, 2006 10:29 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Lex,

You did great, it is never easy to actually get something up and running but it is ever so easy to just drop it or let someone else do all the work.

Great Job.

As for using code behind, it is not too difficult to switch.

Take the entire script and place it in a codebehind file and let the page inherit the class.

Start with a simple pace , by creating a new page using VS2005 then simply throw in the enitre script and add the using for each namespace that you need.

You could change one of the pages to code behind in 30 minutes and get the idea of how to do the rest of them.

Right now I am experimenting with STICKY Posts for the forum and you should not be afraid to experiment and try things, this is the only way to truly understand what it is you are doing.

For instance say you wanted to try and do something, perhaps trying to figure out how to add the users avatar to the Posts would be a cool little addition.

Thursday, May 4, 2006 11:13 AM
  • User654902800 posted

Lexy suggested I look at this thread, so I did, and I went wow, that's a nasty pain in the behind to integrate a kind of strange little forum. So I thought I would write a forum just for the club site and see what that was like, and got carried away a bit. So I need some feedback on what to do with it. It has some Atlas stuff in there I will have to pull out and some other stuff to change to make it just drop in to the club site kit, so before I do that I need feedback on what is must-have functionality, and then I'll see if I can figure out a mostly pain free way to let people have a copy, if it looks like something they might like.

http://tumblegum.wgg.com/clubwebsite/

also see the photo section for screenshots of the forum admin stuff, and to see what atlas can do for making the paging through pictures a bit more enjoyable, something that was mentioned elsewhere in this forum.

I'll keep it up for a few days until I get some feedback.

Thanks,

Thursday, May 4, 2006 5:08 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Mark,

Well it is a simple two tables, I mean in the end I could have simply wrote the thing from scratch but hey isn't all the fun in rumaging through somebody else's spaghetti?

Your initial start on the forum looks good and will probably be a better bet for those that don't want to mess with code.

Thursday, May 4, 2006 5:16 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Mark,

This looks promissing no doubt. Though fed by my experiences from the last period in struggling with ICTN forum leads me to some doubt whether its possible to have a pain free way of implementing such a forum.

(Though I am most probably not exemplary for the level of knowledge in this forum)

Particularly nice is the formatting, took some time to load though and got some error along the way. Angelo and I and perhaps others will in the meantime keep going with the ICTN forum. Its a great way to learn for me at in any case.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,

Lex

Thursday, May 4, 2006 5:31 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Ok guys, don't laugh,

The code below seems to work. No doubt that it can be improved or approached entirely differently. 

When a poster clicks to upload his Post an E-mail goes out at the same time.

Please let me know about the weak spots.

Regards,

Lex

Added to Postreply.aspx:

<code>

Protected Sub submitter_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs)

Dim myConnection As New Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("forumDSN"))

Dim myCommand As New Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand

Dim msg As New System.Net.Mail.MailMessage

myCommand.CommandText = "SELECT psEmail FROM forumThreads WHERE psId = " & thisThreadId

myConnection.Open()

Dim WhoStartedThread As String = myCommand.ExecuteScalar()

myConnection.Close()

msg.To.Add(WhoStartedThread)

msg.Subject = "Your text "

msg.Body = psName.Text & " Answered your post :" & psPost.Text & vbCr & vbCr & _

"View the complete topic at: " & Server.UrlEncode("www.yoururl.nl") & "/Forum/threadView.aspx?id=" & thisThreadId

Dim smtp As New System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient

smtp.Send(msg)

End Sub

<code>

Friday, May 5, 2006 11:08 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Lex,

Those who laugh at others tend to forget they were once in the deep woods of computing themselves.

Excellent job, now I will have to add it to my forum too.

See you are adding value to the Forum product already.

:)

Friday, May 5, 2006 11:39 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Angelo,

I think we miscommunicated about an item a few posts earlier. Its about code behind for the Forum.

My (mistaken?) idea was that you did not use Code behind for the Forum and your answer was about how to make Code behind.

So now I am a bit confused (most of the time anyway so no real problem there hah)

I would still like to clear this:

You use Code behind for Forum?

And if so, was the following code from a few posts earlier:

-----------------------------

Hi Lex,

You are on the right track and for auto filling the fields, simply use the membership provider.

Here is the script part of the postreply.aspx page:

<code>

<script runat="server">
    Public myIncludes As New includeFunctions
    Public pageTitle As String = " .: Check Raise Inc. Forums :.: Post Reply "
    Public pageDesc As String = "Check Raise Inc. Forums "
    Public pageKeys As String = ".net, asp.net, asp, visual basic, microsoft, CHECK RAISE, programming, server, clr, net, discussion, forum, discussion board, free, source code, open source"
    Public thisThreadId As Integer
    Public thisTopicId As Integer
    Public isloggedin As Boolean

-----------------------------

The only code in aspx and the rest in aspx.vb?

Its just that I want to understand this before I start changing stuff.

Thanks in advance,

Lex

Saturday, May 6, 2006 6:58 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lex,

Most of the forum still uses inline scripts at the top of the page, I have not gotten around to changing all the pages yet.

That code would be in the page for now, I have converted a couple of the Admin pages for now.

But you can go ahead and try it with one of the pages, it should be fairly simple and hopefully painless.

I made some progress on the who is online and what page are they on thing, so hopefully sometime shortly I will post the changes for that too.

Saturday, May 6, 2006 8:02 AM
  • User-1672078849 posted

Maybe i am missing something - but why not just use community server 2.0?

the same thing we are using now?

http://communityserver.org/

Sunday, May 7, 2006 10:12 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Try to incorporate the CSK into the Club Kit and then let me know.

Especialy a watered down version without all the bells and whistles.

Sunday, May 7, 2006 10:15 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Ok, well it has been a while since I updated the forum.

I have completed the first rendtion of a who is online for the CSK that will emulate the ASP.NET's who is online and forum stats page.

You can see the first rendition here:

http://67.164.255.166:8029/whoisonline2.aspx

It will update as you navigate through the site, give it a try open 2 browser sessions one you can refresh to see where your other browser session is as you navigate.

This is just the begining, I need to create a new Single User Profile Page where I will add the Send a Private message as well as some Site Specific Statistics and possibly a Ranking system as well.

This is directly attached to the forum but can certainly be independant of it as well.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:19 PM
  • User380413204 posted

He Angelo,

Tried it,

Works fine, nice to see the Actual page updating.

People in Holland seem to have a thing about privacy. Would it be an option to give a user the possibility to remain anonymous?

N.B. I have been busy (with Mark's help) to show a users previous logindate and time. This works fine now, but updating the info still remains to be done (as soon as a user logs-out he should disappear from the list of Online-users at the same time) .

Best regards,

Lex

Monday, May 22, 2006 4:24 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lex,

Of course it will be part of the extended profile I intend to add to this thing.

Monday, May 22, 2006 8:18 AM
  • User931301225 posted
    OK... I've read every single page here (and other topics too) and I have realized that a person with zero coding skills (i.e. me) woul dbe lost to try to implement the forums thing for the free-version that Angelo awesomly did....

Myabe not.... but, if Angelo says that I'm doomed when he replies to my email hopefully, I'm asking this second question to you all then:

if I pay the $40, will I *still* need to have coding knowledge to make it work or is it just a newbie double-click install basically, thing? Yeah I know I ruin th einternet because I dont know how to code buuuut..... well, I bet you don't know how to synthesize and analyze DNA so there :P

hehe

Thanks all for your expertise...

PS. I have a PWS kit.
    Tuesday, May 23, 2006 5:17 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Grace,

You are never doomed, as long as you breath there is hope. 

Now as for the Forums, I suppose you could give this thing a whirl at first and if it is not overwhelming than why not mess around with it and get it up and running.

Why pay 40$ if you can gain the satisfaction of having done it yourself and lived to tell about it.

One thing though, I have not adapted it to my PWS kit yet but you know what I might well do that as it would be a nice addition to my own personal site as well.

Now my wife will have someone else to blame when it comes to late night coding.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 5:53 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Grace,

All you really need is perseverence.

I am a living example I guess. Angelo and others have patiëntly answered all me newbie questions and helped me through it. (though every configuration and situation is different so it is sometimes difficult even for thes guys to help you) That's where you come in, keep going, turn it around and look at the problem from every possible angel.

In the end I got it working. And thanks to mark I am momentarily in doubt which forum to adopt.

And what's more, with a 40 buck Forum you could easily run into installation problems as well.

I would say Join the club

Good luck.

Lex

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 6:18 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lex,

I have no issues with having more than one choice, to be honest it is a good thing.

I will continue to view the forum I started as a long term project with a full rewrite over the
    horizon, but for now I am just adding functionality.

I will try to adapt it to the Personal Starter Kit.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 8:22 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

if you are using this forum make the following change to the StartThread.aspx page:

Sub submitter_update(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.CommandEventArgs)
    Try
    If Page.IsValid Then

Dim
    lastUpdate As Date = DateTime.Now()
    Dim sEncoded As String

Dim
    myConnection As New OleDbConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("forumDSN"))

myConnection.Open()
    sEncoded = Server.HtmlEncode(psPost.Text)

myCommand.CommandText = "INSERT INTO forumThreads (psRelTopId, psName, psEmail, psSubject, psPost, psDate, psRelBcId, psLastUpdate, psIP, psViews) VALUES(0, '" & myIncludes.RemoveHTMLQuote(psName.Text) & "', '" & myIncludes.RemoveHTMLQuote(psEmail.Text) & "', '" & myIncludes.RemoveHTMLQuote(psSubject.Text) & "', '" & myIncludes.RemoveHTMLQuote(sEncoded) & "', '" & lastUpdate & "', " & thisTopicId & ", '" & lastUpdate & "', '" & Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_HOST") & "', 0)"

'### UPDATE LAST DATE IN TOPIC

myCommand.CommandText = "UPDATE forumTopics SET bcLastUpdate = '" & lastUpdate & "' WHERE bcId = " & thisTopicId

myConnection.Close()

Response.Redirect("topicView.aspx?id=" & thisTopicId)

End If

Response.Clear()
    Response.Write(
    "<html><head><title>Sorry, an Error has occured</title>" & _
    "<p>" & ex.ToString() & "<p><b>Record NOT Inserted</b>" & _
    "</body></html>")
    Server.ClearError()
    Response.End()
    End Try
    End Sub

Basically what this is doing is converting your html tags into thier character representations that will be legal for SQL insert.

Also you will need to change the ThreadView Page as follows:

<asp:TemplateColumn>
    <HeaderStyle CssClass="listheader" />
    <HeaderTemplate>Thread: <%# myIncludes.getThreadSubject(thisThreadId) %></HeaderTemplate>
    <ItemStyle CssClass="listColumnText" />
    <ItemTemplate>
    <table>
    <tr>
    <td width="300" rowspan="2" valign="top"><%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "psName") %><br>
    <%# Format(DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "psDate"), "MM-d-yyyy hh:mm tt") %></td>
    <td width="75%"><b><%# DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "psSubject") %></b></td>
    </tr>
    </tr>
    <td><%# HttpUtility.HtmlDecode(DataBinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "psPost")) %></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </ItemTemplate>
    </asp:TemplateColumn>

This is the part that reverse the encoding back into html tags that will be interpreted by the browser.

Monday, May 29, 2006 10:50 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

I have ben working to add a Forums Statistics section, the first draft is viewable here.

http://67.164.255.166:8029/forums.aspx

I will post the code when it is fully completed, should not be too long.

Next I will add Moderators to the Forum.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 12:00 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Great stuff Angelo,

As it happens just this morning I was looking at the forum. I am sure you will remember I had trouble getting it to work. Well in the end it did, but only in a seperate database. (DotForum2004.MDF)

I have been looking at showing the Avatar in the Threads, but for these shings it would of course be much easier to put the two tables in with ASPNET.MDF, (also for the User Profilestuff I guess), so I put the two tables in with ASPNET.MDF.

And then of course the problem connecting to the tables reoccurs.

While not wanting to relive the entire problematic period ;-)),  I would like to run this through you once again if that's ok?

I have a Connection string for ASPNET.MDF (works fine of course)

<connectionStrings><add name="ClubSiteDB" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=true;AttachDBFileName=|DataDirectory|\ASPNETDB.MDF;User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/></connectionStrings>

And for the seperate Database Dotforum2004 I have this key ForumDSN

<appSettings><add key="forumDSN" value="Provider=SQLOLEDB; Server=.\SQLExpress;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|dotForum2004.mdf;Database=dbname;Trusted_Connection=Yes;Language=Dutch" /></appSettings>

What I want to do is change this Key so the references to ForumDSN will still work but now of course pointing to ASPNET.MDF

I feel it should almost resemble the Connection string, but until now I have not been succesful in trying to adapt it, because I can not simply take over the code from the Connections String . (A key seem to require differrent syntax)

Thanks,

Lex

Sunday, June 4, 2006 8:19 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lex,

Nice to see you are still working on it and of course I appreciate any help I can get as well.

If you have the two forum tables inside ASPNET.MDF  then I suppose you just need to change

dotForum2004  to ASPNET.MDF

And all the rest should work as you are not changing the actual app key, just which .MDF it is pointing to.

I am working on adding another level to the Forums:

Now --      Topics -- Threads -- Replies    

After --      Group -- Topics in the Group -- Threads in the Group --- Replies in the Group.

So basically the forum can be strucutred to have seperate Areas just like the ASP.NET forums do.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 9:27 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Angelo,

No I tried that already; I get database is already in use and more of that sort of errors. But never mind, I will keep at it.

In the meantime I have another thing that came up:  I want a Non-authorized user when he tries to post (after logging in) returns to the page that he was at.

I tried to change Startthread.aspx.vb into:

'Response.Redirect("topicViewNA.aspx?id=0")

Response.Redirect("~/login.aspx?ReturnUrl= " & "Forum/startThread.aspx")

End If

But that does not work. Have you by any chance looked into this already?

regards,

Lex

Sunday, June 4, 2006 2:14 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi,

Got it,

Removed the space after ReturnUrl=

But should I still want to go for the other way?

When I try this one I get errors when i want to compile it.:

If Not User.Identity.IsAuthenticated() Then

Response.Redirect("~/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=" & HttpUtility.UrlEncode(Request.RawUrl))

End If

Lex

Sunday, June 4, 2006 2:20 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi,

Probably yes, if I want to get back to the exact Thread when replying.

Lex

Sunday, June 4, 2006 2:25 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi again,

Solved it,

First had to add System.web so the errors with recompiling went away. (HttpEncode was not declared)

Now it neatly returns to the Thread after logging in.

Lex

Sunday, June 4, 2006 2:35 PM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lex,

Not sure exactly what you were trying to do there, but it seems you have it resolved.

Can you explain what it is you were after so I can see if it is something I would like to incorporate.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 7:08 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Angelo,

It is probably something you already solved, but this is what it was about:

When a user wants to post or reply he is redirected to the Login page.

After the log in I want the user to go back where he was.

After my (indeed somewhat blurry) exercises finally the following code worked:

Imports System.Web

Sub Page_Load(sender as Object, e as EventArgs)

Response.Redirect("~/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=" & HttpUtility.UrlEncode(Request.RawUrl))

End If

Lex

Monday, June 5, 2006 4:51 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hi Lex,

That looks good to me, I am debating if simply adding the Login banner to the page would also do the trick.

Authenticate the user and display the login banner with a message if the user is not logged in yet.

Monday, June 5, 2006 4:57 PM
  • User380413204 posted

Ah,

Haven't thought of that one.

Well I guess it would be preferrable when no switching between pages is needed at all.

Lex

Monday, June 5, 2006 5:07 PM