Infopath Forms vs Code Behind aspx RRS feed

• Question

• We are programming a job requisition type application for SharePoint and the requirements are keeping us from sticking to the template thats available.

Is there a best practice as far as choosing between doing a form in infopath vs code behind aspx pages? or does it depend on the situation?

We are looking to integrate AJAX both for validation, improved user experience, and hopefully some performance improvements.  Is infopath able to integrate well with this?

Our big reason for not using infopath is that we dont know it and are already familiar with infopath.  Also much of the information is being stored in the database and most likely the individual requisitions will be stored in a list for tracking purposes.

Any suggestions on which way to go?

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:52 PM

Answers

• Here are some of the points which you might find useful:

* Note that infopath alone is not enough to replace standard aspx pages. To show infopath forms in the browser, you need either Forms Server or Sharepoint 2007 Enterprise Edition.

* There is a strong out of the box validation support in Infopath.

* I am not sure what kind of AJAX feature you are looking for. Infopath is best suited for data input rather than data presentation. If you strictly want to use AJAX, you will need to go for ASP.NET AJAX.

* In my personal experience, I will not prefer using the database as backing store when working with Infopath. Instead prefer to use Sharepoint lists. The interactivity would be much faster, cleaner and you will need to write lesser code. Again if you have strict requirements on database, go for ASP.NET.

--
    Madhur

http://blogs.msdn.com/mahuja | Please mark the replies as answers if they help
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:03 PM

All replies

• Here are some of the points which you might find useful:

* Note that infopath alone is not enough to replace standard aspx pages. To show infopath forms in the browser, you need either Forms Server or Sharepoint 2007 Enterprise Edition.

* There is a strong out of the box validation support in Infopath.

* I am not sure what kind of AJAX feature you are looking for. Infopath is best suited for data input rather than data presentation. If you strictly want to use AJAX, you will need to go for ASP.NET AJAX.

* In my personal experience, I will not prefer using the database as backing store when working with Infopath. Instead prefer to use Sharepoint lists. The interactivity would be much faster, cleaner and you will need to write lesser code. Again if you have strict requirements on database, go for ASP.NET.

--
    Madhur

http://blogs.msdn.com/mahuja | Please mark the replies as answers if they help
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:03 PM
  • Hi Madhur,

I have a question posted here in this forum. I would like to know your reply on the question as pasted below. As an aside I was wondering if I could use infopath also. will it solve what I am hoping to acheive?

http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/thread/28251a52-be9e-49de-bb68-46863eaa7b23

Thanks.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:22 PM