About Wifi Direct

Question

• Hi,

I just got the 'Proximity Sample app' worked. Still a little confusions here:

1. Is both WIFI and NFC indispensible  to use WFD?

In this 'Proximity Sample', I got some observations. When WIFI is disabled, 'browse' wont work; When WIFI is enabled and NFC disabled, it's able to browse for peers but an error would pop up when connecting to a peer. So, here I assume NFC is only for pairing devices. If it's true, is it the case only in this 'Proximity Sample' or in all proximity use cases? 

2. About pairing

As in HW-329T presentation by Gupta, he said to support WFD, the minimn requirements are WIFI (WFD supported), NFC chip and Win8. I also notice that in HW-286 by Roth, it's said that to support proximity pairng in Win8, NFC support as a requirement in Win8 tablet,  what's that for exactly?  and it's also said that to support for Windows proximity, actual pairing goes through Bluetooth radio. I'm confused here.

3. Is it possible to send large data, such as media data through WFD?

In 'Proximity Sample' only small message can be sent/recived between two peers, is it possible to transimit larger data by modifying some codes in this sample?

• Edited by vinceshieh Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:28 AM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Vinceshieh,

1. NFC is required for pairing. WiFi Direct is an extension to WiFi and so the former cannot exist if the latter is disabled. NFC is very short range and low bandwidth, so persistent connections are created through other transports (i.e WiFi Direct, Bluetooth, or TCP/IP). NFC can also be used for other quick messages (e.g. provide a URL to navigate to).

2. NFC is used to trigger the tap to pair. This begins the negotiation to pair via the longer range transport.

3. The PeerFinder will provide a stream which you can use to send large data. Once it is set up you can send whatever you would like.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by vinceshieh Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:40 AM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Vinceshieh,

1. NFC is required for pairing. WiFi Direct is an extension to WiFi and so the former cannot exist if the latter is disabled. NFC is very short range and low bandwidth, so persistent connections are created through other transports (i.e WiFi Direct, Bluetooth, or TCP/IP). NFC can also be used for other quick messages (e.g. provide a URL to navigate to).

2. NFC is used to trigger the tap to pair. This begins the negotiation to pair via the longer range transport.

3. The PeerFinder will provide a stream which you can use to send large data. Once it is set up you can send whatever you would like.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by vinceshieh Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:40 AM
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:12 AM
  • Thanks Rob.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 8:35 AM
  • Hi Rob,

I am trying to write NDEF message into tag to perform a wifi direct pairing based on 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn481543(v=vs.85).aspx

Is there working application that writes the proper NDEF message to the tag?

Thanks,

Ben

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:31 AM