"DEP0600: incorrect parameter" error after developer certificate change.

Question

• We're seeing some issues where developers can't remote deploy onto a remote system using Visual Studio, getting the DEP0600 error above.

We recently replaced the developer certificate (our App_TemporaryKey.pfx file), and this is when the problem surfaced.

We've made sure that the new certificate is installed on both the VS system and the remote system and still see the problem. 

We've also tried the measure suggested in these forum of removing the remote app before redeploying, to no avail.

Is there something else we should be doing in this case?  It looks like the app actually gets deployed through the remote debug monitor, but then VS bails on starting debug session at some point after that.

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:54 PM

Answers

• I found the problem.  It was the certificate after all.

The issue arose when I wanted to change the publisher name in the settings flyout from the default username value to something more meaningful.  When I did this, I changed both the publisher display name in the manifest and the publisher common name in the certificate to the same value.  This value had whitespace in it.

Apparently whitespace in the certificate CN causes the problem.  I changed the CN value to our website FQDN, and remote deploy started working.

What would be the correct way to mitigate this issue in the future?  Is this a bug in remote deployment, or should the generate-test-certificate process validate the publisher CN more tightly?

The documentation at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br230260.aspx makes no mention of this restriction.

• Marked as answer by nerff Friday, October 05, 2012 4:05 PM
    Friday, October 05, 2012 4:05 PM

All replies

• Any thoughts on how to debug this?  We can repeat this in multiple systems, and the "The parameter is incorrect" error doesn't really help narrow down the root cause.

Thanks!  John

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Still no progress in debugging this on my side.  eventvwr.exe on both sides of the debug connection provide no insight into the error.

One thing that occurred to me is that this project is a hybrid implementation (JS application/UI layer, C# application logic in a winmd file referenced from the JS project, SQLite-net C# built from source as a library within the JS project, and SQLite native code via the VSIX extension).  Could there be something about this sort of setup that results in deployment problems?

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 8:10 PM
  • I found the problem.  It was the certificate after all.

The issue arose when I wanted to change the publisher name in the settings flyout from the default username value to something more meaningful.  When I did this, I changed both the publisher display name in the manifest and the publisher common name in the certificate to the same value.  This value had whitespace in it.

Apparently whitespace in the certificate CN causes the problem.  I changed the CN value to our website FQDN, and remote deploy started working.

What would be the correct way to mitigate this issue in the future?  Is this a bug in remote deployment, or should the generate-test-certificate process validate the publisher CN more tightly?

The documentation at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br230260.aspx makes no mention of this restriction.

• Marked as answer by nerff Friday, October 05, 2012 4:05 PM
    Friday, October 05, 2012 4:05 PM
  • Thanks, this worked for me as well. When my Publisher certificate displays nothing more than "CN=Matt" and a publisher display name is also Matt, everything works perfectly. When I want to give it a more professional polish and use my LLC certificate, that I bought from Microsoft (actually Symantec, but it was through Microsoft to be able to certify apps), I got the error.

When I use my LLC cert, the name starts out "CN=Dojo North Software, LLC" and I put Dojo North Software, LLC in the publisher display name field. Visual Studio could not handle that.

This concerns me. Will I be able to publish my app to the store with the certificate that I bought from Microsoft? If Visual Studio thinks "the parameter is incorrect," what will the store think?

While I sign all of my code with signtool.exe, so everything I release has a digital signature, I still find it concerning that I can't use my Microsoft-required certificate to validate my deployment. Once I'm done developing and testing, I will want to do a final test using the real certificate, but it appears I will not be able to do so.

I just applied Visual Studio 2012 Update 2 today, and this did NOT fix the problem.

Matt

Friday, April 05, 2013 12:39 AM