none
post your First SB program! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello, I was digging through my files and I found the first significant program I made. I was curious what other peoples were. So go ahead and post it! Thanks!

TMM460

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:18 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Good thread Zock.

The 1st and most entertaining significant program I made was Eora Duck Shoot: XCC705-1

The 1st and most useful/quality piece of code I wrote was an extensible drop down menu system: BGF911

And the very 1st program I ever wrote and posted was a welcome screen, not my best but my very 1st program: WKN528

Friday, February 14, 2014 8:36 PM
  • I like the duck shoot :]

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Friday, February 14, 2014 11:00 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks.

Some thoughts for fellow SB coders and beginners:

The structure (Duck Shoot) was a bit dodgy (pre game loop for nOOb me). It's all native SB (no sprites), took about 25 days after 8 months learning. Have been learning to code from scratch with native SB and SB community for 1 year. Very happy and grateful.

Just about to start using extensions to get the job done and I'm aiming to scale right back my use of SB in the next 5 months so that I can concentrate on learning a new language. I will continue to use SB for the right job, answer some questions and write the odd article on learning for TechNet.

I'm still open about what's next. Thinking C#....

Friday, February 14, 2014 11:26 PM
  • My fist SB program - JQB268 - a pong variant and some fireworks.  Thanks Pappa Lapub for the De translation.
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 3:16 PM
  • Wow! Thats pretty cool! Was SB your first language?

Saturday, February 15, 2014 4:05 PM
    Answerer
  • My first game :D

PGR013

Saturday, February 15, 2014 4:07 PM
    Answerer
  • No, I started with a Sinclair Spectrum using a sort of Basic.
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 4:31 PM
  • My first SB program is FMQ297.  I rewrote this calendar program for Small Basic v0.8.  Original version was written in 1986 for F-BASIC and 8-bit micro computer FM-7.

Year,month? 2014,2
              2014  2

SUN MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT
      2   3   4   5   6   7   8
      9  10  11  12  13  14  15
     16  17  18  19  20  21  22
     23  24  25  26  27  28

Press any key to continue...

Following pictures show original program list on FM-77 which is the succession model of FM-7.

Picture of FM-77

Original program list of CAL - Callendar

Nonki Takahashi

Monday, February 17, 2014 4:14 PM
  • Jeez! That PC was probably High-Tech for its time. (Late WW1?)

• Edited by Zock77Editor Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:20 PM
    Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:19 PM
    Answerer
  • Litdev. here is a edited version of your game. Bot added. :D

JQB268-0

Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Nonki blogged about this thread here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/smallbasic/archive/2014/05/19/what-is-your-first-small-basic-program.aspx 

Zock, email me if you want to get involved more (edprice at Microsoft).

Thanks!

Ed Price, Power BI & SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:52 AM
    Owner
  • http://smallbasic.com/smallbasic.com/program/?LQB255

Here is the first Small Basic program I created. It is a 2D gravity simulation called "My 2D Universe".

I have made many variations of it over the years. However using animation objects I was able to finally make all of the movement flow smoothly.

This version incorporates some unique features.

I use slope calculations to define the force vectors and then use a control calculation to make sure that movement is not accelerated along diagonal vectors by checking distance between the old location and the new one.

Also this version incorporates collision of bodies and the combining of their mass when a collision occurs.

The mass of each body is visualized using scaling on the filled circles I use to show the location of each object.

To start things of it will ask for the number of bodies and the distance multiplier.

I would recommend no more than 50 bodies but it can theoretically handle as many as you like. Just remember that the number of comparisons for each frame is equal to the number of active bodies squared.

The distance multiplier will allow you to get a more accurate simulation with fewer collisions. I keep this value under 10 but any value will work.

All that is required to reset the simulation is a mouse click on the screen.

Enjoy :-)

• Edited by Nullimus Friday, June 6, 2014 6:07 AM Typo
    Friday, June 6, 2014 6:06 AM
  • All I can say is: Wow!

Friday, June 6, 2014 3:52 PM
    Answerer
  • WOW!

A few are actually going into orbit around a big one!

Friday, June 6, 2014 3:56 PM
    Answerer
  • ABSOLUT phantastic,

Johannes and Isaac would have their pure pleasure !  A definite keeper.

Excellent smoothness.

PS: same version here SB Program Gallery

Saturday, June 7, 2014 1:44 AM
    Answerer
  • Nullimus, I like your 2D Universe.

Nonki Takahashi

Monday, June 9, 2014 4:19 AM
  • TDW726

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong with this program? I'm trying to make a program like Nullimus.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:19 PM
    Answerer
  • CDP104(could be made drastically smaller if I learned stuff)

a lot of things repeat even though a few variables change

first complicated one(text-based rpg)

i am very new to programming and dont even know how to do arrays

just made my first array program

• Edited by Dinomite07 Tuesday, September 9, 2014 11:52 PM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 11:40 PM
  • Zock77,

I don't know what Zock77Math.GetAngle(x[Object2],x[Object1],y[Object2],y[Object1]) is.
    But, is it correct?

Nonki Takahashi

Monday, September 15, 2014 9:19 AM
  • Welcome to Small Basic, Dinomite07.

Nonki Takahashi

Monday, September 15, 2014 9:21 AM
  • Sorry about that :D

That wasn't the problem as  I found out. Here is the finished program:

FHS907

Monday, September 15, 2014 2:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Just for fun i tested Zock's 'Zock77Math Ext' and some other variants on his Demo (ID: NKP831) for Zock77Math.GetAngle. Used Zock77Math.GetAngle, a Sub with the SB code he used, LDCall and LDInline. All show the same effect. ID: QHJ102.

Monday, September 15, 2014 9:03 PM
    Answerer
  • Thats really Cool!

Monday, September 15, 2014 11:46 PM
    Answerer
  • Hey Zock, chilly orbits in FHS907 (and usage of SI units ensures that nothings falls from 'In the skies' :-)).

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 9:31 PM
    Answerer
  • added some actions to ur menu:BGF911-4

-opens file

-selects font

-printing

Sunday, March 20, 2016 4:05 AM
  • Hey Zock, chilly orbits in FHS907 (and usage of SI units ensures that nothings falls from 'In the skies' :-)).

I realize that I made a mistake in that program.

Distx[i] = (x[Object2] - x[Object1]) 
            Disty[i] = (y[Object2] - y[Object1])
            Dist[i] = Math.SquareRoot((Distx * Distx)+(Disty * Disty)) + .001 

Should have arrays on the Distx and Disty vars here:

(Distx * Distx)+(Disty * Disty)

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 3:41 PM
    Answerer
  • That would explain why the objects are attracted more the further they are apart :D

here is the fixed version: CLQ258

And here is a similar Box2d version I made: NVR582

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 3:43 PM
    Answerer
  • Hey tryhest

What extension are you using. Print object.?

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 9:01 PM
  • My first program, yes I remember, in 1983, in this Book:
    Introduction to TRS - 80 Level II BASIC 1980 Michael Zabinski.

on page 34, Compound Interest, but on a MC-10 color computer.

• Edited by YLedEditor Tuesday, March 22, 2016 9:54 PM year
    Tuesday, March 22, 2016 9:53 PM
    Answerer