none
Create list with multiple content types RRS feed

• Question

• I have a need to create a single list with the following content types:

• Document
    • Blog
    • Discussion
    • Calendar (Item with dates)

We also need to be able to leverage a Categories option to filter/view each item.  I tried using the Blog template, but keep running into challenges with adding documents/attachments and discussions content types.

Any thoughts?

Monday, January 25, 2016 10:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Tuff Moyrong,

You can create several pages with multiple web parts and add hyperlinks in the categories.

When you click on a category, it redirects you to the corresponding page, which contains web parts you want.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 3:14 AM
  • Hi Dean,

Using the Blog template with the categories only solved part of the problem.  I ended up creating my own custom pages, one per category and leveraged the Query String (URL) filter to automatically filter all of the web parts on the page.  Also created separate repositories for each content type that I wanted to show.

• Marked as answer by Tuff Moyrong Monday, February 29, 2016 6:10 PM
    • Edited by Tuff Moyrong Monday, February 29, 2016 6:11 PM
    Monday, February 29, 2016 6:10 PM

All replies

• Sorry, it's not possible to add all these content types to single list. All the parent content types are totally different and its controlled by the list type.

Can you provide more details on what are you trying to achieve?

---
    Rajesh | Blog

Monday, January 25, 2016 10:22 PM
  • Hi,

If you make allow manage content type in Advance setting option for list setting you can multiple content type, what issue you are facing is there any error or what.

you can use the Item attach option for attach a single file for each item. to come up with solution please share more details about the issue.

Here is the clear ideas about content type and columns to add in list or library.

http://en.share-gate.com/blog/sharepoint-content-types-understand-use-create

Here is the details about available contents type for SharePoint list.

https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Add-an-existing-content-type-to-a-list-or-library-9eeb0a18-b3ab-4801-ab61-d036bc8a7389

KRISHANA KUMAR

SharePoint Architect

Mosstechnet-kk.com

Please click "Mark As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful

Monday, January 25, 2016 10:30 PM
  • Hi Rajesh,

In a Nutshell, I'm trying to replicate what is OTB from Jive.  Jive allows you to create all of these and easily categorize/post items using multiple categories.  I was trying to easily create all of these under one list to easily surface them and filter by content type.  I guess the only option is to create 4 separate repositories/libraries and have a standard categories list to use as site column with a lookup.  Then leverage the Content Query search web part to create the custom result sets as needed.  This would have been nicer in a single list.

Monday, January 25, 2016 11:40 PM
  • Krishana,

Thanks for the input but I've already reviewed those resources and they don't provide any input as to how to add other content types such as Discussion which only appears to be able to be added when you add the Discussion Board app.  Do you know how to create a custom content type based upon the "Discussion" content type and add a site column called "Category"?

Tuff

Monday, January 25, 2016 11:43 PM
  • Having everything in a single list has its own pros and cons. AFAIK your approach with separate lists and Categories as meta data column would be the way to go!

All the best.

---
    Rajesh | Blog

Monday, January 25, 2016 11:45 PM
  • Hi Tuff Moyrong,

Document is a content type which you can add it to a library not list. Blog is a site template. Discussion is a content type which you can add to a list. Calendar is a list template.

How to create a content type for your reference:

http://en.share-gate.com/blog/sharepoint-content-types-understand-use-create

How to create a site column for your reference:

http://en.share-gate.com/blog/learn-sharepoint-site-columns

By the way, can you provide more details about your requirement?

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:53 AM
  • I understand the content types.  The functionality that I'm looking for would be to simulate or leverage what the Blog site template does.  

How can I leverage the same functionality where clicking upon a category will automatically filter other web parts as it does with the Posts web part?  I attempted to modify the category.aspx page and added a Document repository that used the same lookup field "category".  This apparently didn't work by using the Connections --> Get Filter Values from "Categories" option.

Any ideas?  If this works, i can surface up multiple web parts when users click on a category.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 7:18 PM
  • Hi,

Before creating the new content type by inheriting the Discussion content type, here is the background details as Based on the architecture of the out-of-box discussion group list definition there are two content types available on the list. The first content type, ‘Discussion’, is the default. It inherits from the folder content type.

Discussion content type is just a fancy folder. When a user creates a discussion and views this, the list has a special out-of-box view. Part of that view is that users can click “reply”. This basically creates a new list item based on the message content type. This new item is placed ‘under’ the Discussion list item

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7b074ba1-aed0-49af-8685-0e206001f5d0/custom-discussion-content-type-in-sharepoint-2010

Creating the content type inheriting the inbuilt content type article is here you can refer.

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/30738/why-arent-my-custom-sharepoint-content-types-inherited-by-libraries

http://blog.mastykarz.nl/content-type-doesnt-inherit-columns-parent-content-type-publishing-tip-1/

KRISHANA KUMAR

SharePoint Architect

Mosstechnet-kk.com

Please click "Mark As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 8:39 PM
  • Hi Tuff Moyrong,

You can create several pages with multiple web parts and add hyperlinks in the categories.

When you click on a category, it redirects you to the corresponding page, which contains web parts you want.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 3:14 AM
  • Hi Dean,

Using the Blog template with the categories only solved part of the problem.  I ended up creating my own custom pages, one per category and leveraged the Query String (URL) filter to automatically filter all of the web parts on the page.  Also created separate repositories for each content type that I wanted to show.

• Marked as answer by Tuff Moyrong Monday, February 29, 2016 6:10 PM
    • Edited by Tuff Moyrong Monday, February 29, 2016 6:11 PM
    Monday, February 29, 2016 6:10 PM