none
Problem sending email to group

Question

• Hi I have a SQL Agent task which sends an email to all staff. The email is different because it sends it to a group which has "require that all senders are authenticated" ticked in their settings. This task works fine from one node in our availability group. I've copied the job to a secondary node and it says successful but no email is sent. We've investigated and can see a blocked email with the error: "Your message can't be delivered because delivery to this address is restricted".

I have restarted the SQL Agent service which didn't make any difference. The database mail looks to be configured in exactly the same way it is on the other node where it works fine. Any ideas why it is not authenticating properly please?

A reboot is an option but we'd rather not do this.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hello Dan,

I guess it isn't a SQL Server issue, more one of your E-Mail Server. SQL Server sends SMTP e-mails and in common internal mail server blocks sending such to prevent spam mail by maleware. Mail admins have to unblock sending for dedicated machines / ip address and your second machine is may still blocked.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 10:15 AM
  • Thanks Olaf but what I'd like to know is how I can test whether or not the user is authenticated and why this is failing. I'm just surprised that I've not found the error/solution online thus far.
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:12 AM
  • Thanks Olaf but what I'd like to know is how I can test whether or not the user is authenticated and why this is failing. I'm just surprised that I've not found the error/solution online thus far.
    where is your SMTP server? Is it On premise one or on cloud? Are you using any kind of relay server?

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:48 AM
  • It's on Premise. Maybe the server just needs a reboot since it's odd that this works fine on one node and not the other.
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:14 PM
  • I can test whether 
    Use a simple SMTP email client on that machine to send a test mail.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:42 PM
  • Thanks Olaf, I've sent test emails and they're coming through fine but I don't know how to verify a user's authentication. Is there a test for that?
    Friday, July 13, 2018 8:10 AM