none
Installing Office 2010 add-in from link in web page (IE10 Metro) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are currently running into some problems when attempting to download and install and Office 2010 add-in when the link is on a web page.  I've tested using the same link outside of a web page (in an email for example) and Windows 8 opens the link in IE 10 Desktop and installs the add-in without any problems.  If I try to install it simply by clicking the link in the web page while in the "Metro" version of IE10 I get a prompt asking me if I would like to Save or Open the file.  

Upon clicking Open an attempt is made to download and install the add-in, but it fails saying it could not download the add-in with the following exception:

file:///C:/Users/[myusername]/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5/FIZPXHBE/[addin name here].manifest did not succeed.
    System.Net.WebException: Could not file file 'C:/Users/[myusername]/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5/FIZPXHBE/[addin name here].manifest'

The exact same exception occurs when I try to Save the file in IE10 and then open it from the download location.  This, however, does not depend on the mode of IE10 used to download the link.  Both fail with the same exception given above.

The deployment is published on VS2010 and targets the VSTO 2010 runtime.

Are there any known issues we should be watching out for when installing Office 2010 add-ins in Windows 8 / IE10 Metro?  Ideally, we would like to be able to install the ClickOnce deployment from either IE10 Desktop (currently working) or Metro by opening the link straight from the web.

Let me know if any other information would help.

Thanks for any advice,

Jordan

Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:15 AM

All replies