DirectorySearcher for windows store Apps

• Hi,

Trying to build out a windows store app that needs to connect to  AD(that is already existing). The requirement is when the user keys in the email of a group, then need to validate if it is a group or not and if valid pull the list of users in the group and send a notification.

In general I was using Directory Searcher for the purpose in a console application and could not find in windows store app.

Is there a direct way to do this from windows store and windows phone  apps too.

I tried the concept of using Azure service bus(scenario is the data that user keys in would be transferred via my app service to on premise hosted service). But the problem is that, if the entered group have large set of audience(say user could enter multiple at a time),since directory searcher calls are synchronous, need to wait till one operation completes, due to which time out occurs and connection is getting lost between client and server,leading to app crash.

Any other solution to make this getting work

Thanks & Regards Tejaswi Chandrapatla

Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:41 PM

All replies

• Build a WebService that does what you need it to do, then call that Webservice from your Store app.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Proposed as answer by Dave SmitsMVP Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:52 PM
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:47 PM
  • How could I overcome the time outs that occur, because I explicitly don't know how many users are present in the group to over come this.

Thanks & Regards Tejaswi Chandrapatla

Friday, September 12, 2014 1:44 AM
  • Hello,

Sounds like you need to set the timeout value on the IIS server side. These links might be helpful depending on the IIS version and the server side runtime that you are using (i.e. ASP.net)

IIS Timeouts Quick Reference

I hope this helps,

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Thursday, September 18, 2014 5:42 PM