Workflow to count & send alert when criteria is met RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I've had a request for a workflow to be set up that sends an alert when X hits a certain amount within the library (X coming from a separate lookup). e.g - If there are 4 or more apples, send me and any others an alert....If there are 4 or more oranges, send me and any others an alert. 

So, going back to my question - How can I tell the workflow "when 4 or more apples/oranges/etc are NOW within a list, send an alert/email to these users to make them aware"?! I'm struggling mainly on how to do the count...any suggestions or workarounds would be great 

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 9:42 AM

Answers

• HI Sonny, 

thank you again for the update - This is more what I am looking for as I am struggling to identify X in order to activate the workflow. This article looks more along the lines of counting the number of sites I have within a list, so i will try this and let you know. What i am looking for is:

> Customer raises a request within a list

> When a customer from the same site has more than 4 active requests open, we need to flag it to Snr Management

I need to find a way to count this, the sites are from a lookup list 

Appreciate the help :-) 

UPDATE:

I came across this article which is more or less what im looking for - It works so just need to tweak it so it can report the correct information back 

http://pawansatope.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/how-to-create-count-related-lookup.html 

Thanks for your help 

KR Awad

• Edited by AzzaUK Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:19 PM Update and solution found
    • Marked as answer by AzzaUK Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:20 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:15 AM

All replies

•  Hey Azza, 

First thought is that you could use a calculated column. This link should get you in the right direction:

SharePoint: How to Create an Auto-Incrementing Number Field For Use in a Custom ID

It's not the exact solution you're looking for, but is in the ballpark and you'll be able to modify it.

Saturday, February 20, 2016 6:52 AM
  • Hi Sonny,

thanks for the link I will give it a try and let you know - appreciated 

I tried the workflow process but within 2013 I am not getting the same features and even though its kind of on the right lines, it wont work for what im looking for. Thanks for the reply though 

KR Awad

• Edited by AzzaUK Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:52 PM Tested Process
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 10:41 AM
  • Hi Azza,

I just reread your comment. How are you identifying "X"?

Maybe this would work: Summing calculated columns in group by in Sharepoint list + Dataview webpart

And then create a workflow for when "X" hits a certain number?

Thursday, February 25, 2016 4:13 AM
  • HI Sonny, 

thank you again for the update - This is more what I am looking for as I am struggling to identify X in order to activate the workflow. This article looks more along the lines of counting the number of sites I have within a list, so i will try this and let you know. What i am looking for is:

> Customer raises a request within a list

> When a customer from the same site has more than 4 active requests open, we need to flag it to Snr Management

I need to find a way to count this, the sites are from a lookup list 

Appreciate the help :-) 

UPDATE:

I came across this article which is more or less what im looking for - It works so just need to tweak it so it can report the correct information back 

http://pawansatope.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/how-to-create-count-related-lookup.html 

Thanks for your help 

KR Awad

• Edited by AzzaUK Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:19 PM Update and solution found
    • Marked as answer by AzzaUK Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:20 PM
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:15 AM
  • Hi AzzaUK,,

Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 7, 2016 1:34 AM