User does not see work items RRS feed

• Question

• In an attempt to fix a workspace issue I removed and re-added a windows user. It was a bad idea and one I won't do again!

I'm trying to get him back into everything and all is well except for he cannot see any work items in Visual Studio or Visual Studio Web Access. He has access to everything just no data. He sees reports and source but no work items. All users are running fine.

Any suggestions to fix this? I've tried using TFSSecurity and TfsAdminUtil to help me find the problem but couldn't really see which options to use to just get work item data back.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Monday, September 24, 2007 5:55 PM

Answers

• What version of TFS are you using right now ? (is it Whidbey RTM or SP1 or Orcas Beta2) ?

Can you try this and let me know if it solves your problem ?

Step 1 : Remove the affected user from the TFS groups

Step 2 : Readd the affected user to the TFS groups. (This should potentially rebuild all the security views corresponding to the affected users)

Let us know how it goes

Thanks

-Rajesh

Thursday, September 27, 2007 12:26 AM

All replies

• Can you check if the affected user is part of one of the valid TFS groups ?

By default, the following TFS groups exist at the project level:

Project Name\Project Administrators   Members of this group can administer all aspects of the team project, although they cannot create new projects.

Project Name\Contributors   Members of this group can contribute to the project in multiple ways, such as add, modify, and delete code, create and modify work items, and so on.

TFS Contributor group members can access, read, and write work items, view the team project Web site, and view process guidance for a team project. This is the group that most users will belong to normally.

Project Name\Readers   Members of this group can view the project but not modify it.

Project Name\Build Services   Members of this group have build service permissions for the project. This group should only contain build service accounts and not user accounts or groups (unless that group only contains build service accounts).

Can the affected user create/save workitems ?

Thanks

-Rajesh

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 5:41 PM
  • He is a member of all of those. His is supposed to be an TFS Admin and have rights equal to mine.

He cannot create/save work items.

Does that help?

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Sorry for the issues you are seeing with this.

Can you check the AT event log for any errors/warnings from TFSWorkItemTracking or TFSServices?

Also, can you open a query window in SQL management console against your data tier, and run the following select statements:

This is to verify whether synchronization between GSS and WIT is working ?

select next_id - 1 as GSSMaxIdenditySeqId from TFSIntegration..tbl_sequence_ids where name = 'identity_cache'

select max(seqid) as WITMaxIdentitySeqId from TFSWorkItemTracking..ADObjects

select next_id - 1 as GSSMaxNodeSeqId from TFSIntegration..tbl_sequence_ids where name = 'css_node'

select max(seqid) as WITMaxNodeSeqId from TFSWorkItemTracking..TreeNodes

select next_id - 1 as GSSMaxAclSeqId from TFSIntegration..tbl_sequence_ids where name = 'acl'

select max(sequence_id) as GSSMaxAclSeqId from TfsIntegration..tbl_security_acls where action_id like '%WORK_ITEM%'

select max(seqid) as WITMaxAclSeqId from TfsWorkItemTracking..Rules

If sync is working correctly, the GSS and WIT sequence ids should match.

Thanks

-Rajesh

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 7:24 PM
  • I've looked through the logs before and after the issues with this user and everything looks the same. There are no errors or warnings from TFSWorkItemTracking or TFSServices.

Below are the results of the SQL Queries. It looks like the sync is not working correctly. Is there a way to correct it?

GSSMaxIdenditySeqId
    -------------------

(1 row(s) affected)

WITMaxIdentitySeqId
    -------------------

(1 row(s) affected)

GSSMaxNodeSeqId
    ---------------

(1 row(s) affected)

WITMaxNodeSeqId
    ---------------

(1 row(s) affected)

GSSMaxAclSeqId
    --------------

(1 row(s) affected)

GSSMaxAclSeqId
    --------------

(1 row(s) affected)

WITMaxAclSeqId
    --------------

(1 row(s) affected)

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:40 PM
  • What version of TFS are you using right now ? (is it Whidbey RTM or SP1 or Orcas Beta2) ?

Can you try this and let me know if it solves your problem ?

Step 1 : Remove the affected user from the TFS groups

Step 2 : Readd the affected user to the TFS groups. (This should potentially rebuild all the security views corresponding to the affected users)

Let us know how it goes

Thanks

-Rajesh

Thursday, September 27, 2007 12:26 AM
  • SP1.

I've removed the users membership from the groups that make him a TFS user. I'll wait until the next sync to ensure he is removed then I'll add him and rerun the SQL from above. Hopefully that works.

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:17 PM
  • The removal and add back worked. I added him back late last night and this morning he is in the groups and seeing work items. Thanks for all the help.

Last question, Is there a way to manually force the sync?

Thanks!!

Friday, September 28, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Glad to hear that the issue is resolved now.

The easy way to trigger a sync is to create a TFS group or Create a Area Node or Add a work item tracking permission to group on node, then undo the changes you made. (remove permission/ remove node/ remove group).

Thanks

-Rajesh

Friday, September 28, 2007 5:11 PM