Windows 8/7/Vista Explorer: Petition: Please allow us to disable auto refresh / auto sorting and auto arrange

All replies

• I support the reintroduction of the ability to manually arrange files and folders in Windows 8.
    You use my posts entirely at your own risk. I neither work for nor represent Microsoft.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:22 AM
  • Issue #1 is critical IMO.

Issue #2 is less so.  I do have a couple of files that I rename with a special character to keep it on top (when column is alphabetically sorted by name).  Maybe if Issue #1 is fixed, I won't need Issue #2.

I guess this assumes that the last view will (can) always be remembered.

I also never use libraries (unless some app browses with them for me).  I originally think the issues were worse that way, but I can't comment for sure, its been too long since I compared.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:42 PM
  • I don't see how adding one more category to sort by, (custom) would kill windows,

I've reviewed the 300 or so categories and find them a waste of Microsoft’s time without custom.

I also find google spell check crippled on this forum,

Microsoft designed it :)

Microsoft does not care about adding the custom selection to windows 8 and does not listen to anyone below the heads of the department.
    That's why it was removed from win-7, they know better.
    But feedback has been given and win-8 will be skipped by me personally, I'm not into the worthless ribbon junk,
    Windows live products has shown the ribbon approach is pretty useless without prior menubar options in windows explorer and all prior office versions,

The gall of remove or not including a (save as), makes it useless.

• Edited by ThrashZone Monday, October 10, 2011 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Manual sort is absolutely required for basic file operations (renaming a bunch of files comes to mind).

I even switched now to a Explorer replacement because MS can handle it!!!

To get functionality of XP back one needs to include so many hacks it is not funny. (That's why I than switched to an alternative altogether)

The only reason I didn't switch back to XP is because I have 16GB of RAM.

Maybe a reason to switch to Android or Linux if MS doesn't get their act together.....

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:13 PM
  • i have trolled the net for countless hours to find a solutioin to the problems you mention.

all with no luck!

i hope they listen and sort it.....very annoying.

if not the next stop willl be a mac

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Yes Microsoft. Please fix these. Especially the first problem. It's impossible to work with autorefresh. The only users happy with that are those who only use windows for browsing the web.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:53 PM
  • wow. well said. add me to list of windoze haters bc of this kinda chit.

hope ms listening

johnwerneken johnwerneken@netzero.net
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:56 AM
  • We absolutely need the ability to manually arrange our files in any folder we want to. not just the desktop. This needs to be addressed in Windows 7 as well as Windows 8.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 1:40 PM
  • I'm unable to vote the original post as helpful due to an "unknown error" across several browsers, so I'm posting to show my support. Microsoft might not think people used this "custom ordering" feature, but they did -- passively, but yes, they did. If this is what allowed moved and renamed files to remain where they were and not immediately jump to their sorted location, then EVERYONE used this feature, and it's now lacking.

I'm a techie and have been using Windows 7 for a long time now on my 3 home computers, 2 laptops, and several work machines, including 2 servers with 2008 R2. It's safe to say I'm as used to the Windows 7 environment as I ever will be. Yet I still find this functionality cumbersome and limiting. Microsoft's unwillingness to listen thus far is very unfortunate.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:49 PM
  • I have finally found a solution that worked fine for me.

The original solution is here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/92758-windows-explorer-auto-arrange-disable.html

However, I have succeded by doing the folowing steps: 

1) Delete 2 registry keys by saving the folowing in a .reg file and running it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

2) Run Disable_Windows_Explorer_Auto_Arrange.reg

3) CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

4) End Process for explorer.exe

5) File -> New Task -> explorer

Observation: You mustn't do anything else between these steps. Just put the 2 .reg files on desktop and run them one after another.

This solution enables the "Auto arrange" and "Align to Grid" option in the View menu on right click.

Cheers for www.sevenforums.com

• Edited by MatrixRonny Thursday, October 06, 2011 10:37 PM
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 10:10 PM
  • If the the auto-arrange and auto-sort states could be set by command, would that be an acceptable compromise to you? Command-only options would not require Microsoft to make UI changes, but still add the functionality. Perhaps go to the thread i started called Suggestions for new commands and switches - and suggest something like:

explorer /e,<path> [/s] /setAutoSort=Yes|No

and

explorer /e,<path> [/s] /setAutoArrange=Yes|No

The point is that if functionality is added to Explorer, two things have to occur; the functionality must be implemented, and, the user interface must be altered, which potentially impacts on existing behaviour, ease_of_use, etc. Commands don't have the second affect, plus, they are scriptable.

Friday, October 07, 2011 12:03 AM
  • @MatrixRonny, I am aware of that tweak to bring back Auto Arrange option (I accidentally noticed doing that reg tweaks brings those options back on WinHelpOnline.com: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-auto-arrange-folders-windows-7/ and someone would have discovered it later I'm sure) but unfortunately, what that does is it turns off the new ItemsView control Windows 7 introduced in Explorer and forces the old Vista styl ListView control. The ListView supports Auto Arrange and Align to Grid, the ItemsView doesn't as of yet, that is why, you get back those options. However, I prefer ItemsView over ListView because it is more touch-friendly (items are spaced out more than ListView), ItemsView does not have full row selection whereas ListView has full row selection in Explorer's "List View"/Report View. Lastly, ListView does not work for Libraries, only ItemsView works with Libraries so I don't get the option there. Besides, it only addresses issue #2, issue #1 just cannot be fixed.

It would be better if Microsoft listened and allowed turning off Auto Arrange and Auto refresh/re-sort.

Friday, October 07, 2011 2:56 AM
  • @Drewfus, when they took these features away from us, user interface was altered so it adding it back obviously would certainly require a minor UI change. Also, if you clicked "Apply to all folders" in Folder Options, these became global settings, not per-folder settings. From Windows 3.x to Windows XP (Issue #1), Explorer did not auto sort, that is sorting behaved like a verb, instead of an on-off state and from Windows 3.x to Windows Vista (Issue #2), arranging icons freely was possible. I don't think any compromise is necessary. All that is needed is a simple UI change in the context menu and a behavior change for the ItemsView control used by Windows Explorer.

• Edited by xpclient Friday, October 07, 2011 3:53 AM
    Friday, October 07, 2011 3:35 AM
  • Good work on the demos.

Mostly agree with what you say, except that Microsoft seem to want to get away from navigation style menus that "bury" things, and move toward flatter structures, like their tiles. The command idea is just my way of trying to maximise the chances of getting this done. For me, these issues are at the 'annoying' level, but not as bad as the "tree view scrolls the wrong way" bug, or the highly irritating "can't hide a user from the logon screen without hiding the password field from a UAC prompt" bug, which is the most ludicrous thing i've ever seen.

Friday, October 07, 2011 6:26 AM
  • I am going to try to find a solution that uses the same "unsuccessful" technique that the Microsoft crew tried in their Windows 7 DOS.  It is a Disk Operating System with the added ability to display files and folders from other devices, real or virtual.

I am going to try to create folders on my desktop that will provide solutions to organizing files in the ways I want.  It should be possible.  This is a computer and I should be able to use the available tools to organize my data. Right?

Microsoft crew tried with virtual folders to provide what we are looking for, but they used the folders in much the same way that IT technologists program security features into servers.  The results are less than desirable.  

But maybe it can be done without virtual folders.

What would happen, I wonder, if I create some folders on the desktop and name them appropriately as Work, Personal, Temporary, Technical, Junk, ETC.  Then, in each folder, suppose I create links to the appropriate files in the existing folders but I rename them so they are ordered in a way I like.  The link names would actually be descriptions of the contents of the files.

You think? Maybe? Hang in there I will try this - but there is, of course, a caveat.  I have to be careful not to change the name of the file that the link points to.  And I have to be careful not to move the file from the folder it is already part of.

I will get back to you.  Flexibility is what we really want.

• Edited by sspltd Monday, October 10, 2011 2:59 PM
    Monday, October 10, 2011 2:57 PM
  • this needs fixing
    Monday, October 10, 2011 4:52 PM
  • This has my full support. Windows 7 is rendered virtually un-usable by the removal of the option to manually arrange files.
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Me too, I support the reintroduction of the ability to manually arrange files and folders in Windows 8, and if possible in Win7.  This is pretty basic really, and the way we worked with day one on Windows 95.  Even on Mac i use this all the time.   How many more customers need to voice this issue for MS to offer to help. Thanks....
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:18 PM
  • I have finally found a solution that worked fine for me.

The original solution is here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/92758-windows-explorer-auto-arrange-disable.html

However, I have succeded by doing the folowing steps: 

1) Delete 2 registry keys by saving the folowing in a .reg file and running it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]

2) Run Disable_Windows_Explorer_Auto_Arrange.reg

3) CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

4) End Process for explorer.exe

5) File -> New Task -> explorer

Observation: You mustn't do anything else between these steps. Just put the 2 .reg files on desktop and run them one after another.

This solution enables the "Auto arrange" and "Align to Grid" option in the View menu on right click.

Cheers for www.sevenforums.com

Hi MatrixRonny, neither your version, nor the original hack work on my system (Win7 Ultimate 32 bit).

• Edited by rumbero_us Monday, October 17, 2011 11:36 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 1:40 AM
  • That needs to be fixed. Definitely.

When I'm moving from an explorer window showing many (e. g. more than 200) folders in detailed view, then scroll down and double click one of the folders to move in and then turn back to the folder level where I was before, the folder I had opened before is shown down below at the bottom of the page instead of at the top. Very annoying, because that folder is out-of-focus down below there and the user is imposed on scrolling that folder upwards to access to the next one in the list or to just feel comfortable having a look on the next folders in the list.

It should be possible to get back to the former view of the window with the folder already scrolled up (because it should be sufficient to scroll that folder upwards just once, not any time you move back to the same level). Why should MS want to impose it's users on scrolling and scrolling again, waisting their precious time?

The same phenomenon happens for example in the adress lists, too (I experimented this many times in Windows Mail which I am using under Win7, because I couldn't become friends with "Windows Live Mail" - sorry, but why does MS eliminate features? Does MS think that it's users are too stupid to use features and so eliminates those features?): when I am in an adress-list and scroll the adress-entries upwards to get to the middle or end of the list, then open an adressbook-entry shown in the upper zone of the window and then close the entry again, the entry is listed at the BOTTOM of the window. Why? It should be listed where it was before or, alternatively to that, on the top of the window (exactly opposite to the position where it is listed now) - I mean: instead of showing the selected entry at the bottom (and the entries to be listed BEFORE are visible) it should be the way, that the selected entry is listed ABOVE (and the entries to be listed BEHIND are visible) - that would make sense.

The same happens when SEARCHING for an adress-entry typing letters into the search field: the result is always listed at the bottom, never at the top, so that the following results are invisible, and what is visible are only the insignificant entries of the initial before. If the results were listed at the top would be lots better, because when you type the first letter of the entry's name you generally aren't looking for the first in the list. But to then see the next entries in the list you have to - guess what: SCROLL AGAIN! To me that doesn't make any sense at all; it seems to be made to waist user's time.

If the desired first entry-with-that-initial would be listed at the TOP of the results-page (instead of the bottom) the NEXT entries with the same initial would be visible - and clickable - without any additional annoying scrolling work.

Microsoft, please resolve that!

• Edited by rumbero_us Monday, October 17, 2011 10:08 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 2:22 AM
  • Totally agree with your above post!

What was wrong with pressing F5 to refresh (and re-sort) the view?

"Auto sort" = Horrible idea (for those that have to WORK with the PC)!

I started using Directory Opus on my private PC as Explorer replacement SO MUCH BETTER (and still has all the features of Explorer)! 
    http://www.gpsoft.com.au/
    I would put it on my work PC if it would be allowed..

I also have to add: Android and Linux get more attractive every day if Microsoft continues this way...

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:28 PM
  • I would like to have the ability to disable Auto Arrange. This is the feature I miss most in Windows 7.
    BobV365
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Please reintroduction the ability to manually arrange files!! Im a photographer and I require this to sort client photos easily!
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:12 PM
  • It is very helpful if I can rearrange my photo's in the order I need them for sorting and selection purposes. Now all dowloaded files are automaticcaly sorted I have to spend much searchtime! The question should not be why I want to arrange differently, but IF I want that. Customfriendly do we call that in my country.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 9:29 AM
  • I'm totally agree with you.
    Obviously, MS lost their way, since 2005.

Wednesday, November 02, 2011 10:04 PM
  • I completely agree. I want this feature BACK so badly! I believe freedom to disable or enable autosort and possibility to drag and drop in a folder is simplest request from windows' loyal users
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Yes Microsoft. Please fix these: Auto Arrange option to be disabled, removed in Windows 7.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 4:12 AM
  • I don't agree.
    Friday, November 25, 2011 5:59 PM
  • We 100% agree - the ability to turn off auto arrange should be implemented asap.  We perform large computations on Win 7 / 64 bit etc - some jobs can take a week to run on a 200GB / 16 processor fast machine.  The running code is regularly adding / updating files in the working directory.  Hence, when we want (e.g.) to double-click a file (e.g. to view interim results), we often get the B. thing updating just as we double click, and - sometimes disastrously, e.g if the one under the cursor has changed to a .com file  - go and fire up the wrong file.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:49 PM
  • AUTO SORT TOGGLE must be provided, I understand the introduction of the feature but for certain explorer users THE MANDATORY AUTO SORT IS DEVASTATING! 

Thank you for listening!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Indeed we need the ability to turn off auto-arrange. I still have not upgraded to windows 7 because of this.
    Saturday, December 03, 2011 10:35 AM
  • ABSO-FREEKIN-LUTELY!  Get this fixed right away.  I'da stayed with XP, for my image files at least, if I'd known about this.
    Bill F Johnson
    Sunday, December 04, 2011 10:58 PM
  • This is a feature that helps productivity and makes working easier. There are already so many on/off options (known and hidden) available in Win7. It would be a shame to leave this out of Win8.
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 7:00 AM
  • Actually, this needs to be fixed NOW as in TODAY for Windows 7 and Vista. If so many users have a problem, I don't understand why Microsoft isn't doing anything to fix this. Either Microsoft don't care but keep lying they care about feedback or there's too much bureaucracy at Microsoft for any actual problem after shipping to get fixed. There are thousands of customers affected and angry about this auto sort and auto arrange annoyance and 5 years since Vista but no hotfix still created. Whatever team worked on the Windows Explorer has no understanding of usability or was probably a bunch of interns experimenting with the file manager.

Since the Longhorn (Vista) betas I have sent feedback through Connect, the Send Feedback Tool, blogs, Premier Support, forums, emails, contacted shell people personally via email, Twitter etc. I can write a book on the subject but things just won't change at Microsoft. So many requests are not enough to create a hotfix for this issue because they just don't care after the product ships.

• Edited by xpclient Saturday, December 31, 2011 4:59 AM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 11:39 AM
  • I agree.  I would like the option to turn on/off auto arrange/sort.  Making it always on is the easy way out.  Give me the option.  That is the right thing to do.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:40 AM
  • The chances of Windows 7 and Windows Vista SP2 getting a hotfix are next to impossible. I opened a support request for this and was told this "by design". I am sure many users have already gone this route, even filed for a DCR (Design Change Request) only to be turned down.
    This absolutely sucks. I expect nothing less than a design change as "by design" is what is the problem. The design does not suit your customers, why doesn't Microsoft change it? They WANT their customers to have a hard time with file management, they don't care we have been telling them for years that auto sort is making simple tasks very difficult. I also wasted my valuable support incident for nothing.
    Why does a Microsoft product which force me to change according to what they think is the best without providing configurability of software. I understand that you cannot please everyone with one design, that is WHY you provide some options, some configurability to change the behavior so every users can set it up the way he wants to. For some reason, every release of a Windows operating system REMOVES useful functions from the previous release, nearly always in the area of customization. There's a limit to how much visual control I am willing to give over to an OS that I paid for. Remove the user's ability to tweak the look and feel in areas such as these, and you've removed this user. I'm sorry, I am not an MS slammer, and have happily supported every OS since 3.1. But the current direction is to shut the user out, and adopt Mac-like interface "features" whether they are an improvement or not.
    This is not a Windows sucks rant. I am using Windows 7 in good faith and intend to continue using it. I am after a solution or, at worse, I want to cajole the Windows product development group into fixing this issue in a hotfix. It's been 5 years since the issue cropped up and Microsoft hasn't listened so far. Chances are they will keep saying they are listening to feedback but never actually implement the change. Third party file managers are also not an option as they do not work with the shell extensions I use which work only and only with Explorer.
    • Edited by xpclient Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:59 AM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:57 AM
  • The chances of Windows 7 and Windows Vista SP2 getting a hotfix are next to impossible.
    why Vista? Vista allows you to arrange the files the way you want.

If you don't want such changes stay at Vista or move to Linux (Nautilus give you the option how to sort the files or disable it and let your sort the files YOU want).

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:20 PM
  • why Vista? Vista allows you to arrange the files the way you want.
    If you don't want such changes stay at Vista or move to Linux (Nautilus give you the option how to sort the files or disable it and let your sort the files YOU want).
    You're right partially. Vista doesn't have issue #2 as described in the original post. But the far more annoying issue #1 of auto sort/refreshing files in List and Details views remains in Windows Vista as well as Windows 7. Rename a file and it jumps/moves to obey the sort order. Nightmare if you want to rename multiple files in succession one by one. Copy-paste files and they get scattered and sorted. Download a file and you won't know how to locate the file in the Downloads folder if you keep sorted normally (by name) unless you sort by date created. Extract files from an archive and they get mixed up with the rest of the files. Auto refresh/sort is the biggest usability problem with Windows Explorer. Whoever fooled around and played with the Windows shell in the Longhorn days knew zilch about software usability.
    I am thinking of Linux definitely. But migrating is not easy after nearly 20 years of Windows computing - you have technical dependencies on Windows, familiarity advantage, wider compatibility and some emotional attachment as well. But anything for more configurability of software and less dumbing down. One day, I just might switch to Linux although as a last resort and against my will.

• Edited by xpclient Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:40 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:36 PM
  • You're right partially. Vista doesn't have issue #2 as described in the original post. But the far more annoying issue #1 of auto sort/refreshing files in List and Details views remains in Windows Vista as well as Windows 7. 
    I see what you mean. An option would be nice to have a win-win situation.
    I am thinking of Linux definitely. But migrating is not easy after nearly 20 years of Windows computing - you have technical dependencies on Windows, familiarity advantage, wider compatibility and some emotional attachment as well. But anything for more configurability of software and less dumbing down. One day, I just might switch to Linux although as a last resort and against my will.

using other Operating systems is the only chance to let MSFT know that treating users/customers like idiots and ignoring them, if they don't like what a few MSFT employees in the design team think is the best, is the wrong step. MSFT only listens if they get sales decline and make billions $ loss. Be part of this and stop using Windows 8 and force MSFT to listen.

I'm also migrating my apps to Mono to make them usable on Linux. 

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:53 PM
  • This is terrible! I need this feature to organize songs in a playlist on my mass storage mp3 player. Since mass storage mp3 players don't support m3u or other playlist files this was the ONLY way to make a playlist!!! Now that I've upgraded to Windows 7 you're telling me I'm stuck listening to 1000 songs in alphabetical order? Or date modified!?
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:26 PM
  • I support the reintroduction of the ability to manually arrange files and folders in Windows 8.
    Monday, December 26, 2011 4:17 PM
  • I completely support this petition. It is astonishing that Microsoft have removed such a basic feature from Windows 7. I could do it with Windows XP, so it should not be difficult to reinstate in Windows 7. The "auto-arrange" is one of the most frustrating problems with Windows 7. I should be able to arrange my own files in whatever order I want.

Monday, January 02, 2012 1:29 AM
  • I support the petition. The auto-sort feature is very irritating
    Monday, January 02, 2012 4:36 AM
  • I am an arts professional who is responsible for creating the layouts for gallery exhibits. In order to visualize these layouts, I have always created folders of images and then moved the icons around in the folder window as I decide which works belong next to which other works.

I am amazed that with my new computer I have entirely lost the ability to do something so fundamental as to arrange icons to my liking. In this age of cameras on smart phones, when everyone--not just professionals such as myself--has hundreds of images to organize, separate, and reorder according to individual criteria, it is astounding to me that such a fundamental reordering function has been lost. Please restore this functionality to all versions of Windows 7 as soon as possible! Why is it that posts on this issue date back to 2009, Microsoft?! Does it really take three years to respond to the needs of your clients? Please tackle this issue today so we can continue to use your products!

Thursday, January 05, 2012 6:13 PM
  • Please take this as a must. I want to develop an application that makes use of the order of files arranged by myself. Otherwise, please provide easy way to create new tags on any type of files, then we can also get the same result.
    Reed
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:43 AM
  • Yes I would like the option to disable Auto-arrange. Is it really that hard to add it in?
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:31 AM
  • I am an arts professional who is responsible for creating the layouts for gallery exhibits. In order to visualize these layouts, I have always created folders of images and then moved the icons around in the folder window as I decide which works belong next to which other works.

I am amazed that with my new computer I have entirely lost the ability to do something so fundamental as to arrange icons to my liking. In this age of cameras on smart phones, when everyone--not just professionals such as myself--has hundreds of images to organize, separate, and reorder according to individual criteria, it is astounding to me that such a fundamental reordering function has been lost. Please restore this functionality to all versions of Windows 7 as soon as possible! Why is it that posts on this issue date back to 2009, Microsoft?! Does it really take three years to respond to the needs of your clients? Please tackle this issue today so we can continue to use your products!

I just got a new computer ONLY to find this nightmare attached to my new Windows7PRO... WTF, FIX this now!!!

I too am an artist & now I can't arrange my pictures how I need them to be for my work!!! WTF MS???!!! TOTAL BS!!! =^.^=

Friday, January 20, 2012 10:36 PM
  • I wholeheartedly agree with this. And don't forget to fix the bugs that Classic Shell tries to work around on.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:25 PM
  • I use folders as mini desktops. I can't believe such a basic feature is icon placement within a folder was removed.  Now I have to scan and read instead of simply knowing where things are positioned.   And I can't group stuff either.  What a drag.

There are lots of other problems too.  Halfway developed features, like the new libraries. 

Friday, January 27, 2012 11:08 AM
  • "easily_confused" wrote in message news:7e864d0f-4a16-4867-a45b-8d9ac89f5f39...

I use folders as mini desktops. I can't believe such a basic feature is icon placement within a folder was removed.  Now I have to scan and read instead of simply knowing where things are positioned.   And I can't group stuff either.  What a drag.

There are lots of other problems too.  Halfway developed features, like the new libraries.

What do you expect in pre-Beta software?
    Many of the design targets were still in the planning phase 4 months ago when the DP was released!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, January 27, 2012 12:30 PM
  • This has been a problem since 2006 when Vista debuted and if they wanted to fix it, they would have fixed it then in SP1 or in a hotfix or in Windows 7. So many people are not happy about it, it's not believable that MS hasn't had the time or priority to fix this. They refuse to, hence I refuse to upgrade to anything past XP where this problem isn't there.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:34 PM
  • Apparently from this blog post: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/30/acting-on-file-management-feedback.aspx, Windows 8 is NOT going to fix the auto refresh/sort issue (super annoying) nor the auto arrange issue. Please send your feedback ASAP on that blog post before the comments close in 7 days or use the Email Blog Author link on the Building Windows 8 blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/contact.aspx) and send your feedback about disabling auto refresh/sort and auto arrange.
    • Edited by xpclient Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:14 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:10 PM
  • I think It's extremelly necessary that they add a feature to allow the user to edit the order of the files and edit it whenever like you would do a collection. When ordering by name isn't possible because you want to order them by temporary eras per example. It would be awesome to just select file X and give it (let's call it) priority number 1, and then you select another file(Y) and you want to give it priority after X, and then days later you want to add file Z but you want it between X and Y, so you just give it priority after x and before Y, letting windows do all the work with the update of priority #s. Simple and fantastic.
    Saturday, February 04, 2012 7:06 AM
  • If Microsoft refuse this petition, we have to align and consider legal action. 

Auto-arrange existed in XP and Vista but at no time did it ever have to be disabled altogether to facilitate manual arrangement. 

This issue is solely down to negligent programming in Windows 7 like many, many of its other faults, e.g. the excessive time it takes to copy files from a renmovable drive compared with Vista and the lack of work ethic applied to the help pages that necessitates coming online for every minor query.  It all makes Windows 7 the most negligent and unethical rip-off in digital history. 

This is where we stand.

Specifically, manual rearrangement was a fundamental feature of XP and Vista.  Microsoft, in its advertisement of W7 carelessly used the word "upgrade" on a number of occasions.  An "upgrade" on those OSs cannot reasonably involve the omission (i.e. downgrade) of anything the user will reasonably consider fundamental to Windows. 

We have therefore paid Microsoft for an OS that, by precedent, includes the manual rearrangement feature and MS have refused to deliver.   Hence Windows 7 is a downgrade.

The legal offer for sale of Windows 7 by Microsoft is consequently misrepresentation.   A technicality, maybe, but it will stand up in an English criminal court under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 at least!  

I feel it is imperative that as many of us as possible relay this message quite assertively to Microsoft. 

John Dempsey 

• Edited by johndempsey Sunday, February 05, 2012 7:34 AM
    Sunday, February 05, 2012 7:03 AM
  • i have trolled the net for countless hours to find a solutioin to the problems you mention.

all with no luck!

i hope they listen and sort it.....very annoying.

if not the next stop willl be a mac

You will be lucky if Windows 8 is not worse.  The top brass do not care.  They have an unethical monopoly. 

Looking around at the almost innumerable defects with Windows 7 and the likely causes, it is apparent to me that the proggers can't be bothered to get out of bed to do their jobs.  What chance is there of them listening to anyone like us, who isn't offering them something for nothing? 

Until everyone boycotts MS, they will not change.  We few are here fighting for our rights.  But 99.9% of PC-users are zombies without the intelligence to tie their bootlaces.  So while the majority is happy with junk, where is the incentive for MS to improve? 

Ubuntu would be the answer but MS has blackmailed the component and software industries to refuse to deal with the opensources. 

So we are beaten into submission too! 

Amazing how the USA fights against the Ghadaffis and Assads of this world, but when the same tyranny exists at home, they just look the other way!  

Whatever happened to the Constitution?

Whatever happened to an honest day's work? 

Sunday, February 05, 2012 9:38 AM
  • Dear Microsoft.

Could you please bring back manual arrange. Keep it simple. And how about a fix for Vista and Window 7 users.

Friday, February 10, 2012 2:13 AM
  •  I ABSOLUTELY concur! Microsquish needs to bring back the disable function for both as a fix for Win 7 and for future releases of Windows. The lack of this function made me so upset, I returned my Windows 7 software, went back to XP, and posted this on Facebook to alert others.

In addition, I have been telling everyone I come into contact with that Windows 7 is a lousy OS and to never buy it. I am an IT professional with constant contact to many customers so the word is getting out. 

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:27 PM
  • Issue #1 is critical IMO.

Issue #2 is less so.  I do have a couple of files that I rename with a special character to keep it on top (when column is alphabetically sorted by name).  Maybe if Issue #1 is fixed, I won't need Issue #2.

I guess this assumes that the last view will (can) always be remembered.

I also never use libraries (unless some app browses with them for me).  I originally think the issues were worse that way, but I can't comment for sure, its been too long since I compared.

One could also use : Oldest solution : revert to writing numbered groups in front of file-names, like 0010, 0020, 0100, 0110 etc, or solution not exactly new anymore : use subfolders.
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:35 PM
  • This has annoyed me since I moved to Windows 7 (bypassed Vista...............lucky me), please (re)instate this functionality.

With W7's pushing libraries, we need to see them perform in the same way as other folders when it comes to basic options such as sorting,  I only want the options, there is no need to force people to use them.

I fail to see why MS would choose to offer less functionality, its not like W7 is a cut down OS and, why do they try and "persuade" us to do things their way rather than allowing flexibility and hence making the OS more desireable to more people?

I am not a programmer, but I suspect that these changes would not tax one of MS's bright boys for long and would result in of happier users, even those, like me, that do little more than scratch the surface.

Add this functionality back to folders and to libraries, we need it in W7 now, and W8 must have it too, it cant require much more than the will to do it...................you've had our money!

G

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:36 AM