Play video from server providing authentication details in src in windows 8 app

Question

• I want to play video getting url from server. I have used <video> to play video. I want to set username-password in src but when I set in src, it causing exception 'a security problem occurred'. I dont want to ask for username-password again for playing video. Is there any solution.
    Tuesday, September 02, 2014 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Asha,

You may want to store the username and password in Windows.Security.Credentials , see more information from: Storing user credentials using the Credential Locker

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, September 03, 2014 6:43 AM
  • I have tried it and pass the user and pass getting form getCredentialFromLocker. But still causing same exception.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:42 AM
  • If you simply use the video tag with your web browser, will the same exception happen?

Anyway, did you enable ContentURI in appmanifest?

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:46 AM
  • I cant include the contentURI because the server url may change
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:45 AM
  • How to use web browser in my app and create use <video> in it?  I am using <video> in html and setting the src in javascript.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:08 AM
  • Hi Asha,

To troubleshoot the "a security problem occurred" exception, you may have to ensure the request url address works fine with Windows Store App.

I'm not sure if your video src looks like if you contain user name and password in, something like http://videoaddress.mp4?user=[USERNAME]&pwd=[PASSWORD]?

First of all, you may test your HTML code in IE11 to see if your <video> src with user and pass information works fine, if it does not work with IE, then it shouldn't work with Windows Store App, probably something wrong with your HTML code. If it works we should look into Windows Store App to see if something block the internet access, share your project with us could help narrow down the issue.

Second, per documentation:Storing user credentials using the Credential Locker, The Credential Locker simplifies the task of storing and retrieving user credentials securely, we can simply understand it as a place to storage password and username, I don't think credential locker will throw security problem.

And it seems include the contentURI not necessary as I read from documentation, sorry for this incorrect suggestion.

--James

Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Monday, September 22, 2014 2:12 AM