Looking for guidance on the use of colour

Question

• The app I'm developing is very text-heavy. From the MS guidance, I've therefore picked the "light" theme, so I've essentially got black text with grey button backgrounds and a white screen background.

It all looks very monochrome.

I'm trying to introduce some colour into the app, primarily around things like the highlight colour for semantic zoom, some iconography and other areas. Although the Win8 people app has its own colour scheme, my initial thinking was to try and go with whatever colour theme the user has picked. However, there aren't many theme brushes that use colour, if you look at the list shown on this page:

http://metro.excastle.com/xaml-system-brushes

I could define my own colour scheme, just like the people app has but, particularly coming from this as a developer for a Windows Phone app, that seems to be taking control away from the user.

There don't seem to be any recommendations about colour usage in Windows Store apps so I'm seeking opinions here.

Thanks.

Philip

Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Philip,

You should define your own color scheme which works with your app's branding style.

The theme the user chose for the start screen is not published to apps.

--Rob

Sunday, September 16, 2012 11:52 PM
    Owner