none
Deferred Mail Rule + Add-in results in mail not being sent RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a VSTO add-in that wraps new Inspectors and extends their behaviour.

I am experiencing problems when a user sets up a new "deferred delivery" mail rule.  

When a user sends a mail, the mail goes to the outbox, get's set to read and is then never sent.  However, if the user then sends another email, that is sent fine.

The problem does not occur when the add-in is disabled.  Issue is in Outlook 2013 and also 2010.

Has anyone encountered this behaviour and have a solution?

Regards,

-keith

• Edited by Keith Ball Tuesday, January 12, 2016 12:48 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 12:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Keith,

Based on your description, it seems your issue is related with mail rule and add-in. If you remove the mail rule, would the mail be sent? I assume that add in change the mail property and make it meet the mail rule.

It would be helpful if you could share us how you create mail rule and add in simple code to reproduce your issue.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 6:50 AM
  • You create the mail rule like any other email rule in outlook, and set a value of the Deferred Sending Time.

Remove the mail rule and the mail is sent.  The add-in does not change anything of the email for the rule to be hit.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 7:37 AM
  • Hello Keith,

> The problem does not occur when the add-in is disabled.

Are you able to reproduce the issue with a newly created empty add-in project?

Looks like the issue is related to your code. What exactly are you doing in the outbox folder? And why?

Anyway, I'd recommend using the ItemSend event for handling outgoing emails instead and keep emails in the outbox folder untouched. 

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 1:01 PM
  • I will experiment with an empty add-in to see if that still causes the problem and report back.

I am not extending the behaviour of the outbox at all.  I do not touch the mails there.

Friday, January 15, 2016 9:58 AM
  • Hi Keith,

Have your issue been resolved? If not, please feel free to let us know what you have tried and the result.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, January 18, 2016 5:04 AM
  • Ok, I did a few tests.

-> Create mail rule that will delay sending of mail by one minute when sent mail has "delay" in the subject.

For all these test the add-in is enabled and all mails contain "delay" in the subject.

I create a new mail and send it.  The mail is sent without problem.

I create a new mail and send it.  Now I go to the outbox and click on the mail in the outbox.  I do not have the preview window enabled, just click on the pending mail in the list.  The mail is marked as "read" and will not be sent.

I create a new mail and send it.  I do not click on the mail in the outbox list.  The mail is sent.

It appears that clicking on a mail in the outbox is causing a problem for the mail.  However, if I then turn off the add-in, I can click on mails that meet the delay rule setting and they are not marked as read and are sent.

• Edited by Keith Ball Monday, January 18, 2016 11:16 AM
    Monday, January 18, 2016 11:16 AM
  • Hi Keith,

Based on your description and I test at my side, my delay email would not send if I click on mails in the outbox folder. And then, I test my outlook under outlook safe mode again, the email was sent correctly.

After researching, it seems this issue is related with net framework add-in like outlook social connector 2013.

The suggested workarounds are that you have used.
    1. Disable the related add-ins
    2. Do not go open outbox until after the messages are sent.

To check whether it is related with other add-ins or your own add-ins, I suggest you disable all other add-ins and test with your own add-in, if it did not work, I think you need to use the second way for a workaround.

Sorry for any inconvenient.

Best Regards,

Edward

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:25 AM
  • The suggested workarounds are that you have used.

1. Disable the related add-ins
    2. Do not go open outbox until after the messages are sent.

Hi,

Thanks for reply and for trying to validate the issue.  I'm glad you could also reproduce the issue... however I don't see this as a solution.  

Is there someway I can escalate this issue as the issue appears to be internal to VSTO behaviour?

-keith

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:58 AM
  • Hi Keith,

I am not sure whether it is related with other add-in or your own add-in.

>> Is there someway I can escalate this issue as the issue appears to be internal to VSTO behaviour?
    For this, I will suggest you contacting the Microsoft professional support so that our engineers can work closely with you to troubleshoot this issue.

If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Best Regards,

Edward

Thursday, January 21, 2016 5:04 AM
  • Hi,

I've ran into the same issue - my VSTO plugin prevents sending "delayed delivery" messages.

Have you found a solution for your issue? Is there a general problem with VSTO and the delayed delivery mechanism?

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:48 PM